SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
KaraMac
KaraMac is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Dizzy Cleaning the EGR valve and other questions...

I have a '99 SL1 SOHC and recently took it to the Department of Evironmental Quality to renew my registration and before they even hooked my car up and tested my emissions they told me I failed because my car was giving off power related codes. I need some help trying to figure out if there is any quick fix for these that is cheap because I am so very poor right now.

The codes are:
P0118
P1404
P0507

I've replaced the ECTS and other random maintenance as needed by myself, but I do not know a lot about cars, I'm still learning. I am trying to find a good picture or description to help me find the EGR valve so I can clean this because from what I have read that could help and I should do it anyway. I've tried the search function but couldn't find exactly what I needed.

Any help would be spectacular! I just joined because I've already been on this forum quite a few times to learn how to replace my waterpump and the ECTS, among other bits of information. It's been really helpful, thanks everyone for contributing to help new comers like me!

EDIT*
It might help anyone responding that I have replaced
All spark plugs
spark plug connects
ECTS
waterpump
timing belt
fuel filter
140,000 or so miles on it.

I don't think the little old lady I bought it from had much replaced because I have found everything to be stock parts.

Last edited by KaraMac; 07-30-2010 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: add info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KaraMac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KaraMac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KaraMac is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
KaraMac

1999 SL1
Default Re: Cleaning the EGR valve and other questions...

In responding to my own post I am now flushing the coolant system and figured out how where the EGR valve is and know how to take it off, we'll see how cleaning it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help KaraMac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

As for P0507, are you also getting an abnormally high idle (2,000 RPM or so)? If so, spray some brake cleaner around the cyl #1 area on the intake manifold. If the idle changes, chances are is that the intake manifold gasket is bad. From '99-2002, the intake manifolds were misinstalled at the factory, causing this little wrinkle around the cyl #1 area right around... NOW, if not sometime before then.

As for a timing belt being replaced... uh, no you (or someone else) didn't. All S-series from 1991-2002 use a timing CHAIN. You might be refering to the SERPENTINE belt instead.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
KaraMac

1999 SL1

Thanks I will try to do that this weekend too. The odd thing is that my car isn't even idling that high. It's more like 1,250 RPM, just a little above 1,000. I thought this was a little high but within a normal range.

Yeah, oops it is the serpentine belt I changed. I'm still learning. The first time I took it off to replace it I did it the hard way too without removing my tire. I don't know how I did it, I just thought that was how it was done! haha... I'm glad I found the easy access. It takes trial and error to learn and I have a lot to learn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

That's actually a pretty high idle, def. not in the "normal" range. Should be about 800. But IIRC, the intake manifold gasket issue didn't show up until 2000, with the slightly redesigned SOHC head. Still, it could be the IM gasket, or some other vacuum leak (throttle body gasket, throttle body loose, broken/torn/disconnected vacuum line).

If you're gonna remove the EGR valve to clean it, go get a spare gasket. Sometimes it tears when you remove it, sometimes it doesn't. Murphy's Law says that it will tear for sure if you don't have a spare on hand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
KaraMac

1999 SL1

Thanks for the input. I cleaned the EGR valve and throttle body and put new gaskets on both. They were absolutely disgusting. My car is now idling even higher. At around 1600 RPMs. I've driven it and let it run a bit, hopefully it will improve. I've heard disconnecting the battery might help restart the computer or something like that?

I'm trying to figure out my next step.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2010, 12:24 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Could be a vacuum leak at either the EGR or throttle body, not fully tightened. Brake cleaner spray trick should shed some light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
KaraMac

1999 SL1

I tried spraying the brake cleaner while the engine was running and the idle went down, but only about 200 RPMs. Would that be enough to show a vacuum leak? I'm going to try and tighten up everything I cleaned again to double check that isn't causing any issues.

After leaving the battery unplugged overnight the SES light didn't come back on and other than the high idle the engine is running SO much smoother. It's pretty amazing the difference, I had just gotten used to it sadly.

I saw somewhere about the SES light coming on when the TPS or the IACV goes bad, and not coming on when the other isn't. Or something like that. If the vacuum leak isn't the problem is that where I should start next? Would it be a good idea just to replace them because they could have gone bad?

Thanks again for all the help I would be so much more in debt and stressed out if it wasn't for all the help i've had here!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraMac View Post
I tried spraying the brake cleaner while the engine was running and the idle went down, but only about 200 RPMs. Would that be enough to show a vacuum leak?
Yes; ANY change means an incomplete seal. It's not gonna go back down to normal idle; it's just a test. Where did you spray it, exactly, where it changed the idle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
KaraMac

1999 SL1

It was the lowest when I was spraying it about three or so inches to the left of the throttle body.

...the SES light came back on too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #11
madpogue

1996 SW2

Probably the throttle body / intake manifold joint, then. Make sure those bolts are tight. Also, did you make sure that all of the old gasket came off? Were the mating surfaces on the manifold and the TB clean?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #12
KaraMac

1999 SL1

I think I'm going to take it all apart in the morning and clean it all over again, and test my TPS. I might have not gotten everything as clean as I should and can retighten everything down. I also need to test my reverse light switch, my lights don't work now either, but this website is awesome! I'm excited to fix all the junk that's been wrong with my car. I get to work in my Dad's fully stocked shop and none of this is really all that hard, and it's exciting to learn! Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
destro5
destro5 has a spectacular aura aboutdestro5 has a spectacular aura aboutdestro5 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2006 SKY

Regarding the EGR valve gaskets, does it matter which one you get?

At Advance Auto Parts they have 3:

Felpro Felpro EGR/Exhaust Air Supply Gasket
Part No. 70789 $1.79

Tomco EGR Valve Gasket
Part No. 2-1357 $13.69

and

BWD EGR Valve Mounting Gasket
Part No. EVG41 $6.59

Review of the Tomco said it has a screen which I guess is over the pindel (sp?) hole? Think that would help matters on this?

Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to destro5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help destro5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
destro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
KaraMac

1999 SL1

So I took everything apart and recleaned it. Tested my TPS with an Ohm meter and found out it's not so good anymore. Also the O ring around the IACV was all worn down and ripped, probably the reason why my idle was so high after I cleaned everything last time. I'm just getting replacements for the two because I'm sure it's needed and they aren't crazy expensive. I guess that's what my credit card is for .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
KaraMac

1999 SL1

I took my throttle body apart, replace the TPS and the IACV, cleaned every surface again, made sure everything was on tight and tested the seal afterward with brake cleaner to look for vacuum leaks. The car is still idling high, now even higher than when I started this endeavor! There doesn't seem to be a vacuum leak because it stays high when I spray it.

I'm not sure where to start now! The car is running a lot better and more smoothly. Is there a way to reset the idle and that's what I'm missing? I let the car sit overnight with the battery unplugged and that didn't change anything either.

Hmm... Any suggestions would be spectacular.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!