SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
amorgan93
amorgan93 is on a distinguished road

Wrench Weird knock 94 SL2.

This knock is like none ive ever heard . Ive had my dad who is a mechanic and a good friend who is also a mechanic to listen to the motor and the only thing we think it could be is a broke timing chain guide, since my dad worked on a Hyundai that made the same noise and a broke guide was the problem. Any ideas? Only knock at lower RPMs and when accelerating from idle. accelerating from a higher RPM, it does not knock.

here is a video i made. Maybe it will help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz5-PwOIfSg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amorgan93's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amorgan93 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amorgan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: Weird knock 94 SL2.

I would check the belt tensioner. It can be noisy at low RPM's when it is failing and quiets down as you accelerate.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

+1; sounds like the belt tensioner slapping. I _think_ I even saw the belt deflect for a few frames one time when you revved it up. Confirmation - remove the belt and run the engine BRIEFLY (you have three minutes from a COLD engine, but you only need a few seconds). If no noise, the problem is in the belt, tensioner, one of the pulleys, etc.

Get those bolts for the engine mount out of the timing cover and get some proper studs. You can't properly torque bolts for that application.

Nice old Ford pickup. '75-ish?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
amorgan93
amorgan93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
+1; sounds like the belt tensioner slapping. I _think_ I even saw the belt deflect for a few frames one time when you revved it up. Confirmation - remove the belt and run the engine BRIEFLY (you have three minutes from a COLD engine, but you only need a few seconds). If no noise, the problem is in the belt, tensioner, one of the pulleys, etc.

Get those bolts for the engine mount out of the timing cover and get some proper studs. You can't properly torque bolts for that application.

Nice old Ford pickup. '75-ish?
yep 77 f100 2wd. the bolts were the strongest money can buy. They were nearly $3 bucks each. Stronger than grade 8. And one of the holes needs to be heli-coiled. One of those bolts were just sitting in the hole. And isn't the belt tensioner just a pulley? This knock is internal i'm pretty sure but ill definitely try what you said

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amorgan93's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amorgan93 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amorgan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:48 AM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorgan93 View Post
the bolts were the strongest money can buy. They were nearly $3 bucks each. Stronger than grade 8.
Bolt strength is irrelevant. You're putting the torque that holds the mount down directly on the threads in the timing cover, which will damage them (may explain why the one is damaged). The studs are torqued to the timing cover to 89 in-lb, and the nuts are torqued onto the mount to 37 ft-lb. This can't be accomplished with bolts.

I don't think folks have had much luck with heli-coils in this application. I think they tend to just crack the cover. A new timing cover is usually in order.

Quote:
And isn't the belt tensioner just a pulley?
No, it's spring loaded, and moves on a pivot. When the spring wears, the pivot moves as the belt deflects, and when it moves to its limit, it makes noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote