SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
VUESBROTHERS
VUESBROTHERS is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR
Default Oil analysis - 09 xr

Hi,

Posted this on the "other" Saturn forum and thought folks here could also benefit.

Tried to search where this might have been posted in the past on this site so here it is as a new topic of interest. My intention once reaching the 5,000 mile mark on my XR was to switch from what the dealer has been using, which according to Blackstone laboratories, is performing well, to Mobil 1 Synthetic.

So, calling this overkill, I had the dealer change the factory fill @ 672 miles.

The dealership uses recycled oil from Lyden Oil Company. Specifically, Lyden Proguard Eco 5W30. Here's a link to this specific product:

http://www.lydenoil.com/mainpages/pr...tor%20Oils.pdf

I then put 1,756 miles on this oil change and had it analyzed by Blackstone Laboratories.

The reason for the analysis was I had done some reading on the BobTheOilGuy.com web site and read of some issues on the oil analyzed using this direct injection, variable valve timing V6. Seems it has a tendency to beat up the oil.

Just received my 2nd oil analysis, again with the dealership fill using the Lyden recycled oil. The comments by the lab indicate I probably could have gone further on this oil (had 2,603 miles on this change) but not wanting to take any chances I decided to follow through with my intention to switch from the dino oil to Mobil 1 Synthetic.

So, now with 5,031 miles on her, I had Mobil 1 and a Baldwin oil filter installed. I noted at the time of this oil change my DIC said the oil was at 77% life. My goal is to change her at 5,000 mile intervals and seeing where the DIC is at those times. I also plan on having the Mobil 1 analyzed just to see if this Viscosity # improves.

Even though the lab said the wear #s continue to look good and well within the normal range, their comments on both of these analysis about the viscosity of the oil kinda' reinforced my decision to switch to a synthetic and see if this feature improves. We'll see.

Anyhoo, here's both analysis (with the latest in the 1st column on the left. You'll note there is no info on Flashpoint at the bottom for the first analysis 'cause I didn't send them enough of a sample.

Hope my endeavors gives you all some good info.

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2nd oil Analysis XR.jpg (57.9 KB, 18 views)

'09 XR FWD, Bluetooth, Nav, O/H DVD, 8 Pass, Leather, Htd Seats, Tow Pkg, Moon, Sky Light, Conv Pkg, Bose Surround Audio Pkg, Enhanced Conv Pkg, HID, 2-Way Advanced Remote

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUESBROTHERS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUESBROTHERS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUESBROTHERS is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Wingmn
Wingmn is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
2009 Outlook XR
Default Re: Oil analysis - 09 xr

Thanks for posting Jim!

93 SL2a (My work shuttle) 225k
09 FWD Outlook (Wife's vehicle) 82k
13 Ford Fusion Hybrid (New family shuttle) 31k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wingmn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wingmn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Ryster
Ryster is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind the OLM doesn't know what type of oil you have in the engine. The OLM is calibrated for conventional oil, and the algorithms it uses do not change regardless of what is in there.

Theoretically you could drive 5,000 miles on conventional and see 50% oil life remaining, reset it, and then go 5,000 miles on Mobil1 and see 50% oil life remaining.

The OLM is influenced by engine rather than oil type. The more severe the driving conditions, the faster the OLM will decrease.

I can usually go 6,000-7,000 miles in my Chevy Impala before the OLM gets into single digits. I have run synthetics and conventional oils with no appreciable difference in OLM readings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ryster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ryster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
VUESBROTHERS

2009 Outlook XR

Ryster,

Good point and taken. My concern is on this DI engine. The oil analysis is objective confirmation on the condition of the oil at the time of change (noting the % of life from the OLM). You may have experienced a good record of longevity on your Impala, basing your oil changes on the OLM but your motor is not the new direct injection V6 introduced by GM in '09 on the Lambda SUVs (and also used in the Cadillac in recent years).

The experiences of those using this DI engine and on the oil forum has given me this concern. I DO want to rely on the OLM. I just want to make sure whatever oil I'm using in this engine holds up (read this: doesn't break down per analysis at say the 50% life per the OLM).

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
Keep in mind the OLM doesn't know what type of oil you have in the engine. The OLM is calibrated for conventional oil, and the algorithms it uses do not change regardless of what is in there.

Theoretically you could drive 5,000 miles on conventional and see 50% oil life remaining, reset it, and then go 5,000 miles on Mobil1 and see 50% oil life remaining.

The OLM is influenced by engine rather than oil type. The more severe the driving conditions, the faster the OLM will decrease.

I can usually go 6,000-7,000 miles in my Chevy Impala before the OLM gets into single digits. I have run synthetics and conventional oils with no appreciable difference in OLM readings.

'09 XR FWD, Bluetooth, Nav, O/H DVD, 8 Pass, Leather, Htd Seats, Tow Pkg, Moon, Sky Light, Conv Pkg, Bose Surround Audio Pkg, Enhanced Conv Pkg, HID, 2-Way Advanced Remote

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VUESBROTHERS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
VUESBROTHERS

2009 Outlook XR

Well,

Here's my 4th report on my Saturn. The vehicle now has a little over 15K on her. The last 10K miles (2 oil changes) have been with Mobil 1, 5Wx30. I've posted on this topic at the other Saturn forum. Most folks there (all 4 Lambda platforms) are experiencing excessive wear using Mobil 1 5Wx30. Not too happy (as expected from other folks there with Mobil 1) with the trending. Definitely this oil is NOT for this motor. I supplied Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic on my last change (@ 14,965 using an AC Delco PF48 filter). I was encouraged by good reports on this type oil. We'll see. Definitely going to change her at 4,000 miles as suggested by Blackstone. I did tow a vehicle once (4 miles...whoopedo!!) in this nearly 5K mile oil change AND I would say that 75% of my drive on this last analysis was stop and go, city driving. Mobil 1 is out. I'm thinking (and hoping) that the metal content will trend down dramatically. Again, we'll see.

Here ya' go.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (116.3 KB, 11 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!