SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
partlycloudee
partlycloudee is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Draining gas tank

Can someone tell me the easiest way to remove the gas from my tank?
I have a '95 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to partlycloudee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help partlycloudee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
partlycloudee is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Draining gas tank

Crawl under and remove the fill and vent line and then use your oklahoma credit card(siphon hose) to drain the gas out. Check for any anti siphon devices and do not get the hose stuck. If the fuel pump works just uncouple the discharge line and power up the pump. You can either jumper out the fuel pump relay or disconnect the plug and power it locally.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
partlycloudee
partlycloudee is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

ok....thank you. I'll try that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to partlycloudee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help partlycloudee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
partlycloudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Even easier is to just use a syphin bulb with a long hose on it. Put the hose down the filler neck and then start the syphin. You don't need to take anything apart. These cars don't hold much gas. I usually have 2-3 10 gal cans around the garage so its pretty easy to drain even a full tank.

-Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by partlycloudee View Post
Can someone tell me the easiest way to remove the gas from my tank?
I have a '95 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

There is an anti siphon device in some of the years and it will capture your hose. That is why you take it apart. Some have it and some do not. 98 and newer it is part of the fill pipe. The older models it is not mentioned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Are you trying to do this because the pump is dead?

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
Bernie
Bernie is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Crawl under and remove the fill and vent line and then use your oklahoma credit card(siphon hose) to drain the gas out. Check for any anti siphon devices and do not get the hose stuck. If the fuel pump works just uncouple the discharge line and power up the pump. You can either jumper out the fuel pump relay or disconnect the plug and power it locally.
I wasn't aware that the fuel pump was rated to run continuously or prolonged periods of time like in emptying a full tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bernie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bernie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2

my 95 sw2 has the anti-siphon device.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
steelmanwy
steelmanwy is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
I wasn't aware that the fuel pump was rated to run continuously or prolonged periods of time like in emptying a full tank.
Fuel pump runs continuous while driving or idling.

Kurt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steelmanwy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steelmanwy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steelmanwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
Bernie
Bernie is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1

Steelmanwy that's good to know. I never looked into it before and thought the pump brought the system under pressure and kept it there by intermittently turning on /off. It seemed logical based upon hearing the pump run upon initial ignition and rarely thereafter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bernie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bernie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

Bernie - I've pumped out many a gas tank by jumpering the passenger fuse block and powering up the pump. I use a piece of hose that the fuel line connector will fit in then run it to my gas can.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

The fuel pump will work fine to empty the tank. It is always running when driving. With the car not running, it will only run for a few seconds, then it is turned off to prevent draining the battery.

However, you should be careful to turn it off as soon as the tank is empty. The pump is cooled by the fuel running through it--it will very quickly overheat once the tank is empty. This is why it's bad to run completely out of gas. As long as there's fuel going through the pump you're fine (contrary to some people claiming that anything below 1/4 tank will ruin the pump).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote