SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
melaniesartor
melaniesartor is on a distinguished road

Default Ignition Lock Cylinder problems

I have a 2002 Saturn SL2 4door car and have been having problems with not being able to turn ignition key for few years but after wiggling steering wheel it would finally work but last Sat. it would not work at all. Followed suggestions on internet about pulling hard on steering wheel and wiggling it, took long time but was finally able to get it to start. I found link from here of video of removing the Ignition Lock Cylinder but I called Chevelot Dealership which has taken over repairs for Saturn and was told it was a lot more extensive than just replacing the lock cylinder. Something about the locking device in the steering column would have to be replaced. They quoted me a price of $600.00 for parts & labor. My question is this really true or they just trying to stick it to me. My car has a lot of other problems and putting that much back into it is really not worth it.
I would greatly appreciate help.
Thanks
Melanie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to melaniesartor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help melaniesartor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
melaniesartor is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Ignition Lock Cylinder problems

Nope just replace the cylinder with a new one and new key. Have the cylinder assembled at the dealer. Follow the video and you'll be good.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

First thing to try is a NEW key. NOT a copy of your existing worn-out key, but a new one cut based on the key-code (which can be obtained via the VIN).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
melaniesartor
melaniesartor is on a distinguished road

I sure Thank you for your help.
My husband just watched the video and is trying to remove my old one as I type. Keeping my fingers crossed it's as easy as it looked.
One quick question as regards to "Have the cylinder assembled at the dealer"
not sure exactly what you mean?
Thanks again
Melanie
I have really enjoyed my Saturn but got a feeling it may be time to move on as things continue to come up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to melaniesartor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help melaniesartor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
melaniesartor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
RDO
RDO is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
1995 SC2

Read the previous reply and start with a new "cut key" from the dealer before replacing the lock cylinder! My '01 SL2 was bought used with only a single, worn out key. Experienced the exact same things as you describe and thought the cylinder was bad, but a new key from the dealer fixed the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RDO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RDO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
rc1488
Master Member

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

If this is the worst for your saturn your doing alright. They are the easiest cars to work on.

+1 above. I assumed you diagnosed the problem already and were not still in the diagnosing stage. A new key may be the solution to your ignition issues. A new key is one cut at the dealer according to VIN #. However if a new key does not work then get a new cylinder.

The cylinder must have the tumblers put in them to match the key to your car...makes no sense to have universal cylinders that are all alike You can do this yourself...and maybe sit there for an hour and a half and possible not get it right, or have the dealer do it for you in 10 minutes for ~$20 extra bucks. Well worth the money I think.

Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Derek McNelly
Advanced Member
Derek McNelly is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
If this is the worst for your saturn your doing alright. They are the easiest cars to work on.

+1 above. I assumed you diagnosed the problem already and were not still in the diagnosing stage. A new key may be the solution to your ignition issues. A new key is one cut at the dealer according to VIN #. However if a new key does not work then get a new cylinder.

The cylinder must have the tumblers put in them to match the key to your car...makes no sense to have universal cylinders that are all alike You can do this yourself...and maybe sit there for an hour and a half and possible not get it right, or have the dealer do it for you in 10 minutes for ~$20 extra bucks. Well worth the money I think.
Just out of curiosity, when you replace the lock cylinder and have the dealer "build" it, you're having the tumblers set to the EXISTING key configuration/pattern?

2002 Saturn SC2
DOB: 9/11/2001
Date Obtained: 10/28/2009

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Derek McNelly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Derek McNelly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Derek McNelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
rc1488
Master Member

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
Just out of curiosity, when you replace the lock cylinder and have the dealer "build" it, you're having the tumblers set to the EXISTING key configuration/pattern?
Yupp. The tumblers are set according to VIN also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!