SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
CJKoenig
CJKoenig is on a distinguished road

Question SC2 No reverse when hot

Hi all. I am new here but have searched these forums before for help and honestly have found everyone here to be quite knowledgeable about their cars. Now i have a problem which I haven't been able to find an answer for.

I have an SC2 which just recently stopped going in reverse. The odd part is it will go in reverse when the car is cold, but the "gear" no longer works after the car heats up. Also, it is hard shifting occasionally, but not skipping gears or staying in a single gear. 1-4 works fine most of the time, sometimes you need to let off the accelerator to allow it to shift and I find that it "bangs" into gear only when the car is cold.

Secondly, possibly unrelated. The heater also went out about a week after this shifting problem arose. No leaks either interior or exterior. But I also noticed that it is "eating" alot more oil then usual. I am putting in about 3 quarts of oil in the last 2 months. Typical usage would be 1 quart every three-four months.

Here's my thoughts and I'd love to hear yours. I am thinking that the head gasket is kaput and unrelated to the trans. The trans I think is going to need a major re-build but a friend mentioned something about the VSS is shot or a synchro which is not working or not working properly.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is this a major overhaul, like I'm thinking? or could it possible be something simple that's masquerading as something major? I would appreciate any info or advice you could give, as I'm not ready to part with my SC2, this car has gone to hell and back for me, fyi it's sitting at about 150,000 miles on the trans and I'm still driving it everyday with these problems, just keeping an eye on fluids etc. etc.

Thanks in advance for any info you think could be useful.
-CJ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CJKoenig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CJKoenig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CJKoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
harley2003
harley2003 has a spectacular aura aboutharley2003 has a spectacular aura aboutharley2003 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1
Default Re: SC2 No reverse when hot

This is a manual transmission right, the bushing where the shift cable connects to the transmission maybe on it's way out, also the end of the cable where it connects to the bushing ,there is a fix for these parts that can be purchased on ebay. Could be something else but you can check this fairly easy its under the console in the car.

2013 Hyundai Sonata new
2003 Harley Davidson FXDWG wide glide.
2015 Hyundai accent hachback

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to harley2003's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help harley2003 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
harley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
sometimes you need to let off the accelerator to allow it to shift
This sounds like an automatic transmission.

When was the last time the ATF and filter was changed?

You may want to search on "reverse slam," "valve body" and "input shaft nut"

I don't know enough about auto trans to steer you any more. Our local auto trans expert is Special Forces

Welcome to the forums, hope you find what you need!

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

You have the typical reverse slam on the more severe side it seems. You don't need a major overhaul you need a valve body replaced. These transmissions are essentially bullet proof with the weak link being the valve body. Once the booster valve inside the valve body wears away then the pressure required to get into reverse is not being created sufficiently, thus leaving you without the gear.

For the head gasket diagnosis the simple way to check is to check your coolant for a milkshake colored mixture and your oil for water/coolant.

If you come up positive on either than worry about that first before the transmission. If there's nothing to power the transmission what good is fixing it.

/// Need rebuilt valve bodies? PM Me. \\\
//// Why bother with ebay when I'm right here? \\\\\
Valve bodies built to order

Please PM me about valve bodies, do not post a visitor message.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Special Forces's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Special Forces reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Special Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
CJKoenig
CJKoenig is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. i will check this out tomorrow. I just got home from work and its dark with no where to check the car out.

If this makes any difference to any replies. The car is an 1999 SC2, 1.9L DOHC 4cyl., Automatic with 155K on original trans and engine.

Thanks again. I will post what I found, and how the fixin' goes. Great advice as always. Thanks again Special Forces, Lord of Chaos and Harley2003.
-CJ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CJKoenig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CJKoenig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CJKoenig is offline   Reply With Quote