SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
dewisp02
dewisp02 is on a distinguished road

Default Need some expert knowledge...

I have an '02 SL2 with a sunroof, and it wont open. I took off the headliner and took out the whole sunroof assembly. I could hear the motor working, but was making loud clicking noises so I figured it was off track or the motor gear's teeth were worn down... Once I got the motor out, I could see the two guide wires weren't making good contact with the gear and the teeth looked worn down. Is there a replacement part number for this gear? If not, is there a way I can measure it and maybe find a replacement though some parts place. Or anyone know a replacement gear that will work?

Also does anyone have any ideas on how to make the two guide wires to make a tighter fit on the gear? I flipped the gear over to see if the teeth would be long enough on the back side to work right, but it still does not grab like it should [it now moves the tracks some, but does not grab enough and makes the grinding noise still]... it looks like if I could find a way to squeeze the guide wires and gear together it would work. I have yet to drill out the rivet holding the mounting bracket because I didnt know how important that is and dont have a rivet gun to replace it. Anyways, anyone of you guys have any ideas what I can try to get it to work out. If all else fails, I will have to just pick up a new sun roof assembly at a JY if I can find one. Just hoping to find a poor man's fix since I am hurting financially right now. Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dewisp02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dewisp02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dewisp02 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Need some expert knowledge...

You'd be very fortunate to find a "new" sunroof in any junk yard for direct replacement. Search the threads for repairs as this has been covered many times - there are no shortcuts to repairs to the track mechanism. You'll likely come across threads about the Sunroof Doctor and whole roof replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
dewisp02

Its not the track thats messed up. I have read through all the threads covering sunroofs, but none talked about the gear on the motor [replacements] or how to make the guide wires that the gear makes contact with fit snugger [with the gear]... there is a major design flaw with the metal bracket/mount the motor mounts to and guide wires feed through.

EDIT: As mentioned in the 1st post, I am looking for someone who has ideas how to do a poor mans fix. A direct gear and metal bracket/mount [that the motor mounts to] replacement should get it up and running if anyone knows where to get them. It shouldnt be hard to find a new gear, but I do not know anything about finding an exact match to replace it. Also was thinking I could zip tie the cables to make a good snug fit, but I dont think the plastic will hold up long, so was hoping someone had other ideas to make a more permanent fix.

Last edited by dewisp02; 02-28-2010 at 06:06 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dewisp02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think the gear itself is replaceable, you have to change the motor. I have changed motors before that made a grinding/ratcheting noise, and it fixes the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
dewisp02

I was able to pull the gear off and flip it over so there is no reason for it not to be replaceable... there is a small metal piece that fits into a small groove on the post of the motor that holds the gear on. I just need to know how to measure the gear to find another one since I have no working knowledge of cnc/gear manufacturing/gear measurement/replacement/etc. I was thinking that if someone could explain to me how to measure the gear so I can match one to it, then I could find one with longer teeth so I wouldnt have to figure out a way to make the guide wires fit snugger to the gear. I was hoping someone maybe ran into this before and found a gear in some cheap appliance or something that was a match. looking slim though at this point

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
carfleet mntc
carfleet mntc is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
2000 SL2

Look up M.S.C. and call them during the week. They have plastic spur gears and are most likely the original supplier. (or buy from them) Their website should have the local branch phone number and they can get you to tech assistance. Good luck.( And thank God the sunroof is stuck in the closed position)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carfleet mntc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carfleet mntc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carfleet mntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
dewisp02

Thanks for the tips... I really appreciate it. I just got the car used and am loving it so far. I was fixing an overhead light [driver side next to sunroof switch] issue when I decided to investigate a lil more on why the sunroof wasnt working right since I had the head liner removed.

The gear is a metal one that was in there and not sure if a plastic one would work well... Im assuming they supply metal ones, too? At least I have a lead to start on... thanks again. If I find a replacement gear that works well, Ill be sure to post so others with have the knowledge readily available [if they take the time to search/read the forums... haha]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
carfleet mntc
carfleet mntc is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
2000 SL2

Yes they sell metal gears and tracks. The important things to know are diameter,pitch and pressure angle.They will most likely be able to tell you how to determine this,and they sell to the public.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carfleet mntc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carfleet mntc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carfleet mntc is offline   Reply With Quote