SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
turtledawn
turtledawn is on a distinguished road

Default Please confirm my suspicion of a dead/damaged ignition switch

Good morning!

I installed an aftermarket remote start system on my bare-bones '99 SL1 this past weekend, and all appeared to be going well- the remote starter got the car running, none of the magic smoke got out anywhere, and I didn't even get shocked during the installation process. However, when I try to start the car with the ignition key, the starter runs but the engine doesn't start and I don't hear any fuel pump sounds, and when I try to use the car with the remote starter, even after I've got the key in the ignition and turned to run, once I hit the brakes the engine dies. I've checked the ignition fuses, fuel pump fuses, chime fuse, battery voltage. All are good. I do not believe I have any kind of antitheft on this car- it doesn't even have power locks or windows, much less KRE.

Since the engine CAN start, and the remote system gets the signal but the key doesn't work, I'm more or less left with the ignition switch or a damaged wire between the ignition cylinder and the remote starter wiring harness. Since it's such a pain to get to I wanted a second opinion before I try to get it out of there- and if that's the consensus, how exactly DO you get the switch out? It's too tight for my socket wrench and I don't think I have an open end wrench that tiny. Thanks in advance for any help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turtledawn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turtledawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turtledawn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Please confirm my suspicion of a dead/damaged ignition switch

Installing a remote starter and having it function is not a trivial task. The problem is likely caused by the last thing you did, install the remote starter. If you remove it the ignition will probably function just fine.

You need a good schematic of the car and the wiring connection points for the remote starter as a minimum to be able to get it to work. The instructions supplied with most all of the remote starters I have ever looked at are poor. Without knowing the make and model of the remote I would suspect that you have connected into the car wiring on the wrong side of a switch somewhere.

The schematic in a Haynes manual is at best barely adequate for this job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
turtledawn
turtledawn is on a distinguished road

After a bit more poking I've concluded that the pass-through wiring harness for the remote start module simply isn't allowing enough current to travel between the ignition cylinder and some other part of the ignition system. All the wires, fuses, and plugs in the pass through test good for continuity and negative for shorts, so it's either an issue of wire gauge or one of the pins in the plugs is bent just enough out of true that it's not making contact on the cylinder side. Solution for now is to go without the remote start while I contact customer service for a new pass through harness. I am not going to remove the splice I made into the brake light indicator wire, as that is just asking for trouble- that bundle of wiring is getting bagged and stuffed under the dash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turtledawn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turtledawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turtledawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtledawn View Post
..... the remote starter got the car running, ..... However, when I try to start the car with the ignition key, the starter runs but the engine doesn't start and I don't hear any fuel pump sounds, and when I try to use the car with the remote starter, even after I've got the key in the ignition and turned to run, once I hit the brakes the engine dies. ....
Plain and simple; miswiring. The car started and ran before the remote starter was wired in and now it doesn't start correctly. The key hint is when you pressed the brake pedal to disable remote start and you stll can't start. The remote start circuit is disabling normal starting. Until you carefully review your wiring you're going to be chasing your tail in circles. Part of the remote start circuit is still interfering with normal starting. Pressing the brake pedal should have disabled the remote start circuitry and enabled normal starting but it doesn't according to your description. Incorrect wiring.

Last edited by fdryer; 01-29-2010 at 11:35 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote