SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
sparkynsmoke
sparkynsmoke is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
2005 RELAY-2
Attention weatherstripping on windows and trunk

If anyone can tell me how I can get Sparky (my faithful 95 SL2) to stop leaking from her windows and trunk when it rains, I'd really appreciate it.
I've used plastic bags to try to keep the water out of the windows by rolling the bags in the windows, no success.
I have a black trash bag lining the trunk under the back window to try to keep water out. Same thing, no success.
So I had to resort to buying a painter's plastic drop cloth and covering her from the windshield to the trunk and guess what? No water leakage!
I don't know if it's the rubber stripping that needs to be replaced, after all, she's 15 years old and has always been exposed to the elements here in So Cal, so maybe the stupid sun finally warped the rubber.
What's really frustrating is that there are no places to get parts for her because again, guess what? She's too old!
Should I do this repair before getting her repainted? Her paint's peeling on all the body panels except for her rear fenders, trunk lid and rear bumper. Again, it makes me wonder if it's the unpredictable weather in So Cal that might've caused the paint to peel.
Any help, suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

1995 SL2 - Sparky- (234K+)
1997 SW2 - Smoke- (64,817) RIP my little boy
2004 Chevy Cavalier - Gordy- (103K+)
2005 Relay 2 - Swoop or Smoke II- (48K+)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sparkynsmoke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sparkynsmoke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sparkynsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
dorisSL
Master Member
dorisSL is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default Re: weatherstripping on windows and trunk

on the windows, the problem is often the seal between the trim and the car. i'll see if i can snap some pictures tomorrow or friday, but i posted my fix on this before. it's quite easy.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ighlight=leaky

1995 SL, born 12/23/94, manual, WAI 190,500, "Doris"
(I'm Ben, the car is Doris)

you can't mulch at those speeds man, that's too fast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorisSL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorisSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

this prob won't work for you (since your talking about painting it) but its a thought, Yeah its a little bit redneck but just take some silocone cauk and cauk that sucker

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturninin View Post
this prob won't work for you (since your talking about painting it) but its a thought, Yeah its a little bit redneck but just take some silocone cauk and cauk that sucker
not redneck at all. that's what was in the driprail out of the factory, basically. if you do it right, you can't even tell (now, i'll DEFINITELY snap some pics tomorrow)

(p.s. "cauLk")

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

You may have multiple leaks, including a leaking cowl vent.

Is the passenger side floor particularly wet???

Open up the hood and you should see a screened foam vent on the passenger side above the firewall. It's positioned horizontally.

The contact adhesive that holds the layered foam sandwich in place might have dried out. Try regluing it with silicone or something more permanent than the GM solution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

as promised, a picture (Sorry about the rain and quality of the picture...)

as you can see, the car looks no different than before i did it.

to do this, first i cleaned the gap with a plastic bristle brush. Then i ran a line of green painter's tape ("hard to stick surfaces") along the edge of the gap, about 1/8-1/4 inch away from where the drip rail meets the car. then i ran a (very generous) bead of black silicone caulking along the gap. then i used my finger to smooth it out and force the caulking into the gap.

the first time through, i didn't go far enough forward with the caulking, so i had to touch it up later. i ended up caulking maybe 2 inches forward of where the drip rail curves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
sparkynsmoke
sparkynsmoke is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
2005 RELAY-2
Attention Re: weatherstripping on windows and trunk

Actually, the water comes through the top of the windows. All of the doors except the front passenger window. I've tried caulking the top where the rubber meets the roof line, and that doesn't work.
I noticed the trunk leaking really bad when I ran her through one of those automated car washes. The carpeting smelled like spoiled milk. (Yuk).
I did find some weatherstripping on JCWhitney.com and hopefully that'll work.
One question? Does anyone know approximately how many feet the doors and the trunk lid would require?
And since Smoke's no longer with me, except in 2 pics here in the "accident" section, I'll try to get some pics of my new baby, 'Swoop'. (Not exactly my first choice for a name, but we bought her from Saturn of Whittier (CA), the day before the Eagles playoff game last year, and she's also green. Another irony is that all my Saturn's have names that start with the letter "S". Must BE a Saturn thing.

1995 SL2 - Sparky- (234K+)
1997 SW2 - Smoke- (64,817) RIP my little boy
2004 Chevy Cavalier - Gordy- (103K+)
2005 Relay 2 - Swoop or Smoke II- (48K+)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sparkynsmoke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sparkynsmoke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sparkynsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:46 AM   #8
mjoekingz28
mjoekingz28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

I guess S-series should start with an 's'.

Is it too late to use armor all or silicone lubricant on all the seals to make sure they're not dry and brittle. You've probably done this already, but go over them inch by and and press down to make sure they're locked in.

Lucky for you though, being in SoCal. On average, how many rainy days do you get a year. nvm I dont even know how many we get so I cant really compare. Every time I turn on the weather channel all the green(weather) seems to just skim over top of socal, EVERY time. Its like a geographical oddity, anyone, anyone get the reference?

But a few weeks ago I was looking up records for LA and the record low was 28 degrees in 1949.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjoekingz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjoekingz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjoekingz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

"well, isn't this place a god-dang geographical oddity - two weeks from everywhere!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!