SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
snak985
snak985 is on a distinguished road

Sad P0740

Any help or info would be very helpful with my "issue"

I have a 98 sl2 with an auto trans that keeps giving me a P0740 and a P0741 I have done everything under the sun to figure out what is going on with this transmission. I have a "donar" car that I have ben working with. Here is what I have done so far....I am a mechanic previously at a GMC store for 10 years.

I replaced the ECTS per the bulletin
I replaced the transmission connector because one of the wires was broken up in the connector.
I replaced the entire valve body with a known good one out of the other car.
I just went out and drove it and with the tech 2 on it it says "tcc pwm" then it goes to "on" so I can see that the tcc can work, but, after hitting the brakes a couple times and driving around town....it just goes to off ant throwes the code.

I was thinking the brake switch could be malfunctioning causing the tcc to stay off, but the scan tool doesnt say the switch is engaged.

Any help would be appreciated this is driving me nuts.

Even a wiring diagram and enabling criteria list would be helpful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snak985's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snak985 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snak985 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: P0740

I think you need to shift over to the DVM. The 740 is probably the clue to the problem.

P0740 will set if the PCM has detected voltage monitored at terminal J4A02 (circuit 422) is less than 2-2.5 volts when the solenoid is switched off electrically by the PCM, twice per ignition cycle.

Check the wiring from the UHJB Brown 68 way term A-5 to the trans terminal E. And from trans terminal K to J4A02 at the PCM.

If the 740 is real then you will be presented with a 741 when the PCM attempts to energize the solenoid by grounding J4A02.

The 10 way plug at the transmission is highly suspect.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote