SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
kimberleigh2198
kimberleigh2198 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Horn's Broken ...

I've found a few threads on other people with broken horns - and I feel I am in the same boat. My younger brother borrowed my car for 2 hours - it came back with the horn fuse on the passenger seat. Apparently he saw a dear and slammed on the horn ...

So from what I understand I need to have the entire airbag assembly replaced because the horn switch is built into the airbag assembly, correct?

Has anyone done this themselves? or know where to order the part - I haven't tried contacting Saturn yet to see if they will just sell the part, and/or for how much....

I can't fathom spending $1000ish for a new horn! ... but it's been 2 months and I never knew how much I really needed it!... x(

PS it's an '04 FWD 4 cylinder manual - if that matters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kimberleigh2198's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kimberleigh2198 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kimberleigh2198 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Horn's Broken ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberleigh2198 View Post
I've found a few threads on other people with broken horns - and I feel I am in the same boat. My younger brother borrowed my car for 2 hours - it came back with the horn fuse on the passenger seat. Apparently he saw a dear and slammed on the horn ...

So from what I understand I need to have the entire airbag assembly replaced because the horn switch is built into the airbag assembly, correct?

Has anyone done this themselves? or know where to order the part - I haven't tried contacting Saturn yet to see if they will just sell the part, and/or for how much....

I can't fathom spending $1000ish for a new horn! ... but it's been 2 months and I never knew how much I really needed it!... x(

Changing the airbag is a task for professionals ... call around for pricing.

Others have added external switches to toot the horn ... it would be simple for those with basic electrical and mechanical skills. Repost for instructions if you want to try.

Was it a slip when you said the brother honked at a "dear" (rather than deer, as in Bambi)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
wallingclan
wallingclan is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2004 ION-1 Sedan

Same problem, You can get a airbag from the junkyard and have the mech install that airbag in the wheel when he fixes the horn switch. BTW The wrench light will not go out until the horn is fixed, I was told

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wallingclan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wallingclan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wallingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:

Yup, the whole darn thing should be replaced. And it's not cheap. The culprit is the contact board that is under the vinyl cover. It isn't that hard to break.

A poster, couple of years ago, put two buttons on the front of the airbag assembly to operate his "broken" horn. The problem with this is that IF the airbag goes off in a crash, the buttons will come flying at your face very, very fast. While the buttons will operate the horn, the safety implications are just horrible.

A friend of mine had her horn button broken by her ex. A friend wired a button and placed it on the dashboard. It was a cheap, but not pretty, fix.

Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
Mandie
Mandie is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

I have the same issue with my 2002 Vue. My boyfriend and I used to car pool to work well one day he picked me up and handed me the horn fuse and told me he used the horn and it wouldn't shut off so he had to pull the fuse. When I took it in to see what is was going to cost to fix I was told that I had to replace the whole center portion of the stearing wheel, or I could get a button off to the side to use the horn. I was told that it would cost about $1200 to get the part from the deal. So needless to say I have not repaired my broken horn. You never know how much you need it until you don't have it to use anymore. I'm not sure if this is a common thing that happens with Vue's, but it sure is an expensive fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mandie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mandie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member
YourMainParadox is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

ebay or car-part.com the airbag... you can sometimes get one for cheap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YourMainParadox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YourMainParadox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YourMainParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
newbievueowner
newbievueowner will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE Red Line

And the OEM's wonder why consumers are pi@^&ed at them....

It's because of stupid things like this! If mine goes, there's going to be a new horn switch going in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
Mic__
Mic__ is on a distinguished road

Quote:

i have abumper sticker that sys

Horn broke watch for finger

quite effective.

may want to try it

2004 ION
2009 VUE XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mic__'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mic__ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mic__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
V65
V65 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I am not impressed with the horn function on our Vues. There are times I just want to tap the horn and can not. It seems the only way I can get my horn to blow is to put uniform pressure on the steering wheel and then it will sound. Tapping the horn (at least on my Vue) does not seem to be an option.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to V65's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help V65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
V65 is offline   Reply With Quote