SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
justinchristie
justinchristie is on a distinguished road

1999 SW1
1999 SL1
Default Is there a How-To on recentering the steering wheel?

I think i came across this before, but I did a few searches and can't find anything. Is there a how-to on how to re-align or re-center the steering wheel? I think i remember seeing a couple of pictures showing how to take the wheel off, and just move it over a few teeth on the spindle. Anyone know? or does anyone have their own how-to on how to do this?

Just to clarify, my alignment is just fine. the car doesn't roll to one side or the other - just the steering wheel is off.

Both my 99 SW1 and 99 SL1 have this problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to justinchristie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help justinchristie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
justinchristie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Is there a How-To on recentering the steering wheel?

I have removed my (non airbag) 92 SC steering wheel and it is splined so you just need to rotate it one way or another before pushing it back on. make sure you have the front toe set and the wheels are really straight ahead.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Don't know about a How To...

There are no splines. I (carefully) took mine apart for that reason and only ended up turning on the airbag light.

Centering wheel is with the tie rods.
With Channel Lock pliers, you can grip the tie rod so it doesn't move when you loosen the lock nut.
Then, turn rt and lft tie rods the same fraction of a "flat" on the hex.-All the while keeping an eye on the position of the tie rod end.
Hold the tie rod end with a box end wrench to keep it in position.
Three hands would be helpful.

At least that's what I did.

Make sure the car isn't dog-legging down the road. You can see the dog-leg if you carefully inspect your tracks in the snow.

4-wheel alignment (AKA: perls before swine)
My guess is the alignment guy lines up the passenger side tires and then sets toe...without a clue that the front and rear track might not be exactly the same. PRESTO! Wheel isn't straight ahead
(the best part is when they brag about how expensive their alignment equipment is, and then do a crummy job)

Last edited by bumpdraft; 12-20-2009 at 08:15 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Four wheel alignment.

If the steering wheel is off center then the wheel alignent is not fine. Part of a wheel alignemnt is centering the steering wheel. The wheel off center may not cause tire wear, The toe can be dead on and the wheel can still be off center.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Four wheel alignment.

If the steering wheel is off center then the wheel alignent is not fine. Part of a wheel alignemnt is centering the steering wheel. The wheel off center may not cause tire wear, The toe can be dead on and the wheel can still be off center.
Exactly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

For gripping and holding, take a look at Vice Grip 10LW
Works well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #7
justinchristie

1999 SW1
1999 SL1

Quote:
Four wheel alignment.

Hmmm, this makes sense because I pulled off my all seasons last week and put on my winter tires. I took a look at the all seasons and there was no uneven wear on them. so the alignment on the road is fine, just the alignment-from-tire-to-steering-wheel is off.

But having said that, my original question remains - how do i center the steering wheel?

I would rather tackle something like this myself, rather than paying $100 per car to fix it - when i can do it myself. also, the cars do have airbags.

But, i'm only asking because I want the steering wheel to "look" proper in the interior - if it is more of a pain-in-the-arse to fix this, just so it looks proper, then i can leave it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help justinchristie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2009, 12:33 AM   #8
SC2SkyVue
SC2SkyVue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinchristie View Post
But, I'm only asking because I want the steering wheel to "look" proper in the interior -
if it is more of a pain-in-the-arse to fix this, just so it looks proper,
then I can leave it.
Pappy always said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2SkyVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2SkyVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2SkyVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:37 AM   #9
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Four wheel alignment.

+1.

OP: What is happening currently, is that your equilibrium point for straight line driving does not equal your power steering mid point (point at which the extensions of both hydraulic arms are the same length). You currently have one arm extended more then the other, while the tierod ends are extended more then other to compensate for the difference. Does it hurt anything? Not that I know of.

Steering wheel removal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcOI0zFITB4

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:49 AM   #10
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Quote:
Hmmm, this makes sense because I pulled off my all seasons last week and put on my winter tires. I took a look at the all seasons and there was no uneven wear on them. so the alignment on the road is fine, just the alignment-from-tire-to-steering-wheel is off.

But having said that, my original question remains - how do i center the steering wheel?

I would rather tackle something like this myself, rather than paying $100 per car to fix it - when i can do it myself. also, the cars do have airbags.

But, i'm only asking because I want the steering wheel to "look" proper in the interior - if it is more of a pain-in-the-arse to fix this, just so it looks proper, then i can leave it.

Quote:
Four wheel alignment.
Two wheel alignment (if anyplace still does them) or four wheel alignment. The S-series steering wheels, if I rememer correctly, are all either master splined or flat sided. You can not just move them a notch/spline over.
How much off center is the steering wheel? Road crown can also make the wheel appear off if all you drive on is crowned roads.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

The best place/way to get the steering wheel centered is to put the credit card payment for the alignment in dispute (you DID pay with a credit card, right?), take the car back to wherever you got it aligned, and tell them that you'll re-authorize the payment when they complete the work.

If the wheel isn't centered, you can't say "it ain't broke". Cancellation of the turn signals depends on steering wheel position, and this is a critical safety component of the car. Removing the wheel and "re-clocking" it on the splines simply means you have too much travel before hitting the stop in one direction, and not enough in the other. The wheel should be centered, and the toe should be set, when the steering is exactly half way across the travel of the rack

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
The S-series steering wheels, if I rememer correctly, are all either master splined or flat sided.
My 98 has flat sides, no splines - absolutely no way to center / adjust the steering wheel from inside the car.

Looks like the drawing below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steering.JPG (1.7 KB, 120 views)

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the rough

1995-1999 have the two flat sides, 2000-2002 have a splined shaft. The easiest way to correct this is an alignment. You could have them do a front wheel alignment only, that should not cost 100 bucks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

I used a giant pipe wrench and a big pair of vice grips to fix the toe on my '95. I don't see how people do it w/o the pipe wrench... lol

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #15
justinchristie

1999 SW1
1999 SL1

As a follow-up to people reading this thread, i took it into an alignment shop and had them take a look. Turns out my driver's side tie-rod was bent, causing the steering wheel to be off - but the car remained straight on the road while driving.

Just an fyi to anyone else that comes across this thread. I'd recommend getting it checked out by a pro.

thanks for those who helped out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #16
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
As a follow-up to people reading this thread, i took it into an alignment shop and had them take a look. Turns out my driver's side tie-rod was bent, causing the steering wheel to be off - but the car remained straight on the road while driving.

Just an fyi to anyone else that comes across this thread. I'd recommend getting it checked out by a pro.

thanks for those who helped out.
That's what you were recommended to do in the first place

Since no one that I know of personally owns an alignment rack, if your steering wheel is ever off center or your car is tracking weird, the ONLY OPTION is an alignment, either 2 or all 4 wheels.

1996 SL2 5MT. 239KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.
2000 SW2 5MT. 133KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #17
97RedSaturnSC2
97RedSaturnSC2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1996 SC2

i pulled the engine out of my car, removed the subframe and somehow the rack must have came off the steering shaft for a moment or something because when everything went back together my wheel was off. i did not tighten or loosen the tie-rods.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97RedSaturnSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97RedSaturnSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97RedSaturnSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #18
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW has a spectacular aura aboutMikeNW has a spectacular aura aboutMikeNW has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL

The OP had some damage that an alignment discovered.
IF the car is aligned and the wheel is off, you CAN fix it.
My steering wheel was 3/4 inch off, and the car was aligned OK, it is not hard to straighten it using the tie rod ends. Just make sure you adjust both sides the same amount, you can count the flats on the tie rods for reference.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote