SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Iceman15154
Iceman15154 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default 2000 SL1 SES with codes HELP

Hello everyone. I stumbled across this site while looking up some information about the three codes that came up this week. Gotta say I love the expertise that I have found in just a short time while searching this site so I decided to post a new thread. Here goes.

Recently performed general maintainence on my 2000 SL1 because it was due and seemed to be idling heavy. Oil change w/filter, new spark plugs w/wire harnesses, new air filter and coolant/radiator purged and refilled. Now for the problems.

1. Engine still seems to vibrate too much during idle. For such a small engine it shouldn't vibrate the car like it does.
2. Occasionally switches to a high idle (3.5k) after car is put into park from drive.
3. Recently coded P0442-EVAP Emission Control Leak (Small), P0404-EGR FLow CKT Range/Perf, & P0442-EVAP Emission Control Leak (Small).

Obviously the first and third code are the same but I'm wondering about a couple things. First, could these codes be linked to a single problem and second, would these problems cause the high/rough idle that I'm experiencing. Also, I will be doing the work myself so any ideas on what I need to do would help. Thanks for any help everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Iceman15154's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Iceman15154 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Iceman15154 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2
Default Re: 2000 SL1 SES with codes HELP

Welcome to saturnfans!

1) Engine vibration is almost always the top motor mount when there are no other engine issues. It's on the passenger side, on the top of the engine, and has 3 studs to the top of the timing chain cover on the front of the engine, and 2 studs to a mount on the fender. This connects the engine to the fender of the car and helps control the vibrations.

The rubber piece in the mount tends to deteriorate with age allowing the engine to vibrate. There's ways to test the mount depending on which style mount you have. You can find them as well as replacement instructions in the How To Library and you can watch videos on how to do it on YouTube by searching for videos by richpin06a. I have photos of the good and bad styles of mounts in my photo gallery as well.

2) high idle in the 2000+ s-series tends to be a vacuum leak in the intake manifold gasket... a robot installed them with a wrinkle or something. Confirm by spraying something like carb cleaner around the intake gasket while the engine is idling fast. If it slows, you found the leak. Use the advanced search feature, search for thread titles with the words "intake gasket" thread started by rc1488. Good writeup that has helped many However, it might also be your EGR issue or Idle Air Control valve.

3) Not sure on this. There is a way to test the EGR, involves blocking it off temporarily using a nickel or piece of a soda can. May be in the How To library, or do a search of the forums. I think I've seen Madpogue post it recently, or maybe it was fdryer

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Iceman15154
Iceman15154 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default Re: 2000 SL1 SES with codes HELP

Thanks so much Lord. I will most certainly research these issues as you suggested and will post my results for future saturn fans. -Iceman

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Iceman15154's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Iceman15154 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Iceman15154 is offline   Reply With Quote