SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 07-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
UsNsUbSoNaR
UsNsUbSoNaR is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Blower Motor Resistor?

So I got in my car this afternoon and the blower motor will not turn on. The lights work and when driving you can feel a slight cool breeze coming out of the vents but that's it. I put a positive lead from my multimeter to each side of the connector and the other lead to ground and nothing...... My guess is it's the resistor but I wanted to check with youz guyz to see what you thought.

I was just going to replace it and see if that fixed it but then I found out after running to the three parts dealers in town that it's a dealer item..... Ebay shows about $30 a pop. Hence the reason I want to verify first.

Thanks!

1993 Saturn SL 145k miles 5spd (Sold)
2003 Saturn Vue 52k miles V6 AWD (Sold)
1999 SL2 152k miles Auto (Sold)
1995 SL2 222k miles 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to UsNsUbSoNaR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help UsNsUbSoNaR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
UsNsUbSoNaR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
2000mc
2000mc is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
Default Re: Blower Motor Resistor?

assuming its your 99... i think you should still have high speed even with the resistor removed. check the blower relay, and power to it, its in the I/P block. also check the hvac fuse also in the I/P. if theres no power to either terminal of the hvac fuse, check the IGN3 fuse under the hood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000mc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000mc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2000mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
UsNsUbSoNaR

1995 SL2

Oh, I forgot to mention it is in my 95....

I checked all fuses and no problem there but I haven't checked the relays. How exactly do I check the relays? Should I just swap them out with known good ones?

1995 SL2 222k miles 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help UsNsUbSoNaR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

The high speed relay arrived for the 98 model year, maybe 97 but no earlier. Your high speed goes through the little selector switch. First thing to check is the blower. Remove and connect direct to the battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The high speed relay arrived for the 98 model year, maybe 97 but no earlier. Your high speed goes through the little selector switch. First thing to check is the blower. Remove and connect direct to the battery.
You can test it with a 9V battery as well.

I just had a debug issue with my '01, but this is slightly different as mine is the 2nd design.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=140290

Please not the lesson learned about how to measure voltage to you motor. If I read your write-up correctly, you measured it wrong <with no load> like I did at 1st.

As you turn the switch on and off, does the relay click at all?

The lesson of my thread is not to chuck cheap parts at it to solve the issue as you might spend more time doing that than debugging it the right way.

You might want to ask if anyone has a 95 service manual that can give you the dealer troubleshooting guide and fuse block pin-out. I'd scan ya mine but is too new for your car.

Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velleguy73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velleguy73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
2000mc

1999 SC1

looks like for all purposes the 95 would be wired up the same as the 99.

easy check on the relay itself, like you say would be to just swap it with another. if thats not it use a test light to check for power coming to the relay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2000mc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
UsNsUbSoNaR

1995 SL2

Haven't had much time lately, been working.... but I tested the motor with a battery and it works so I'm ordering a resistor. I'll keep you posted

1995 SL2 222k miles 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
2000mc

1999 SC1

diagnose it first!

you should still have high speed even w/o the resistor.

if you have 4 speed settings, and they all went through the resistor, there would have to be at least 4 inputs and 1 output at the resistor, but theres only 4 terminals there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
UsNsUbSoNaR

1995 SL2

There's no power showing for any speeds. I tested it with a multimeter and a testlight to see if anything was coming through the connector. I also noticed that the connector is slightly burned/melted one side which explains why it was so hard to remove from the recepticle.

1995 SL2 222k miles 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
2000mc

1999 SC1

search works good too....

they found a backed out connector at the blower motor relay

thread also has schematics in it, for a newer car, so the colors and terminal numbers might be different, but its wired in the same way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #11
2000mc

1999 SC1

which connector, at the control head or the resistor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #12
UsNsUbSoNaR

1995 SL2

If I get a chance tomorrow I will try to test the input to the resistor.

Another problem I've been having for some time now is my a/c seems to freeze during road trips. The air coming out will lessen more and more and them I turn the a/c off and let the blower motor blow for a few minutes until the air starts to warm up which is usually about 2-3 minutes later. Occasionally I will catch small pieces of ice coming out of the vents. Any thoughts?

BTW, how you been Oldnuc?

1995 SL2 222k miles 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
UsNsUbSoNaR

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
which connector, at the control head or the resistor?
The connector at the blower motor.

1995 SL2 222k miles 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #14
2000mc

1999 SC1

they make it sound quite dangerous to turn a screw a 1/4 turn. make sure u know your righty tighty lefty loosey

BULLETIN NO.: 98-T-10A

SUBJECT:

Loss of Airflow from A/C Outlets after Extended Periods of Highway Driving (Adjust A/C Compressor Set Point.)

This bulletin is being revised to add the 1999 model year and supercedes Bulletin 98-T-10 which should be discarded.

MODELS AFFECTED:

1994-1999 Saturns equipped with R-134a air conditioning.

CONDITION:

After extended periods of highway driving, some customers may notice a loss of airflow from the A/C outlets.

CAUSE:

A/C compressor suction set point may be low for some customers usage and driving patterns, resulting in evaporator freeze after extended periods of highway driving.

CORRECTION:

1. Confirm with customer that A/C system functions normally in all conditions except extended driving at highway speeds.

2. Locate the set screw on the rear head of the A/C compressor. The set screw will be covered with either a solid silver label or a silver label with the words:

CAUTION: BE CAREFUL TO KEEP HANDS CLEAR OF THE ENGINE COOLING FAN. THE ENGINE COOLING FAN MAY OPERATE UNEXPECTEDLY.

NOTICE: If the silver label has been broken, or an orange replacement label is present, DO NOT continue with this procedure. Additional adjustment of the set screw could result in reduced A/C system performance at higher ambient temperatures.

3. Determine where the large slot in the set screw is located. (The slot can be felt through the label with a screwdriver.)

a. Using a utility knife, cut through the label for access to the slot screw (1).

b. Using a permanent ink marker, make a mark on the A/C compressor to indicate the current position of the set screw in relation to the compressor rear head (2).

CAUTION: DO NOT TURN THE SET SCREW ON THE BACK OF THE A/C COMPRESSOR COUNTERCLOCKWISE. THE A/C SYSTEM IS UNDER PRESSURE AND TURNING THE SET SCREW COUNTERCLOCKWISE COULD CAUSE THE SET SCREW AND/OR HOT REFRIGERANT/OIL MIXTURE TO BE DISCHARGED UNDER PRESSURE. THE REFRIGERANT/OIL MIXTURE CAN CAUSE BURNS AND/OR BODILY INJURY

NOTICE: Do not turn the set screw more than 1/4 turn clockwise. Adjusting the set point changes the pressure at which the A/C compressor goes to minimum displacement. Increasing the adjustment beyond 1/4 turn clockwise will not make the system colder and could reduce A/C system performance at higher ambient temperatures.

4. Using a large blade screwdriver, turn the set screw 1/4 turn clockwise as viewed from the rear of the compressor.

5. Using a clean shop towel, wipe the surface area where the silver label is located. Make certain there is no debris or oil present.

NOTICE: To prevent the A/C compressor set screw from being adjusted again, the orange A/C refrigerant caution label (P/N 21031284) must be installed over the old silver label.

6. Install a new orange A/C refrigerant caution label (P/N 21031284) over the old silver label that was cut in step 3a.

7. Start the engine and check that the A/C system is functioning normally.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
UsNsUbSoNaR

1995 SL2

Wow, that reminds me of the slogan "that was easy". I think form Staples or Office depot. I've been having that problem for 3 years now and the solution was as simple as that...... Thank you! I will fix that tomorrow!

1995 SL2 222k miles 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #16
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
search works good too....

they found a backed out connector at the blower motor relay

thread also has schematics in it, for a newer car, so the colors and terminal numbers might be different, but its wired in the same way.
That old thread was quite a project. I think I sweat off 10 pounds. The resistor is a bit of a pain to get to but I believe it is in the same relative spot deep in the dash. There is a richpin video for a 3rd gen car but it will give you the gist of it.

If you are really gonna do the resistor, I'd hit the junkyards. Or, better yet, pull your dash apart, yank your current resistor pack, and test the resistance. I'd ask if anyone has the service manual for your year. You might be able to find the data if you buy one of those service manual CD's off Ebay. If you have impedance across the pins it is fine. Compare it to the factory numbers if you can find them. The impedance is quite low.

Throwing parts at a simple system may seem like an easy way to make the problem go away but read my old thread. I sweat alot for a backed out pin at the back of the fuse block connector. I found/fixed it on step 3 of the service manual debug flow chart. 'Bout 30 minutes with the book in front of me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velleguy73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velleguy73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #17
UsNsUbSoNaR

1995 SL2

I checked the relay and fuses, checked all connections I could get to and everything was fine. The resistor came in the mail today and I replaced it and it works! Thank god, it is hot here! Thanks for your help!

1995 SL2 222k miles 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #18
UsNsUbSoNaR

1995 SL2

Here we go again! A/C worked fine this morning then this afternoon, the same problem happened again. I fried another resistor 3 months after replacing the old one. Ordered another one a few minutes ago. Anyone know what would cause this to reoccur? I'm hoping it was just a faulty replacement and this next one wont do it again but if it does there is obviously an issue somewhere else that is causing it.

1995 SL2 222k miles 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #19
udderslate
udderslate is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

You asked the right question...why did it blow again ?

I had a similar problem with my Saab 9000 .

When the blower motor gets older , it draws more current at startup , blowing the thermal fuse in the res pack ,and this effectively opens the connection to the res pack and motor , and you get no fan at all .

The real fix , is to replace the problem , which is likely the blower motor .
( OR see bottom for my free fix )

I also have a 95 SL2 .
I looked at a pic of the 95 Saturn heater motor resistor and see what I know is a thermal fuse . Its meant to blow when its operating temp exceeds its rating , but alas , I'll bet your blows because the current rating of the thermal fuse , is now less than the current your older blower motor requires to start spinning .

A replacement res pack is not expected to last long in these conditions .

To verify this , on your blown res pack , measure the ohms across this fuse . It should be nearly zero , open is what I suspect .
The resistors in the assembly are still OK because this thermal fuse blows very fast . You can reuse this with a mod below .

I simply wired across the fuse , jumpered it that is .
You may or may not loose the lowest fan speed by this mod .
The fuse in the fuse block becomes your over current protection .

The real fix , is to replace the blower motor .....but the fix above is free
and the blower motor is a bear of a job .

BUT...since you order a new res pack ...another "fix" is to replace the fuse in the fuse box , with a lower rating , so that it blows before the res pack fuse .

Wayne

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to udderslate's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help udderslate reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
udderslate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #20
udderslate
udderslate is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I meant to add this ...
Google "microtemp thermal fuse"
The first link shows what a thermal fuse looks like .

This schematic courtesy of OldNuc , and linked earlier in this thread ,
shows the fuse at pin C in series a 0.31 ohm resistor to pin A .
Jumpering this thermal fuse ( if blown ) will not loose the lowest fan speed .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to udderslate's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help udderslate reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
udderslate is offline   Reply With Quote