SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
10Miler
Advanced Member
10Miler is on a distinguished road

Default New SL1 Owner!

Hello all, just bought a 99 SL1 w/ 123k miles yesterday. I was pleasantly suprised when I opened the hood on it. Very simple, and looks easy to work on. Then today I found out that these care have timing chains and not belts like the Hondas I've had in the past! WOOHOO! I need to detail the car and then upload some pics. There is some sort of tar-like substance on the hood. I am pretty happy about that though because when I bought I thought it was paint flaking off!

I was once told that Saturns are no good past 100k miles. I am looking forward to proving that statement wrong!

P.S. What would you value this car at in good condition?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10Miler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10Miler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10Miler is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
SuperCujo
SuperCujo is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: New SL1 Owner!

Great, nice to see more S-series members coming aboard even though they stopped being produced 6 years ago. You see plenty of people on here who have over 100K miles on there Saturn. I am probably one of the few that is below 100K but you'll see some people with 200K to even 500K.

As far as the value of the car, I can't help you with that. You will get a wide range of answers on here depending on where your from and how cheap the poster is, some guys won't buy one unless they are a couple hundred bucks or out of a junk yard. If you want, you can post the question over on the S-series boards

"The youth of today is rude, obnoxious, rebellious, lazy and have no respect for their elders."
- Σωκράτης Date: 400s BC

My Transmission shall now be known as "Sir Slam-A-Lot" .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperCujo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperCujo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperCujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Mine has 123,456 and still going strong (at least for a single cam )
The engines in these things seem to be strong, the weak point is oil burning in some.
As for value, I value mine at $100,000

change your ECTS just to be sure it's the brass one- easy job and the original plastic ones ALL fail, it will mess up gas mileage among other things.

Good luck and welcome!

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Miler View Post
Hello all, just bought a 99 SL1 w/ 123k miles yesterday. I was pleasantly suprised when I opened the hood on it. Very simple, and looks easy to work on. Then today I found out that these care have timing chains and not belts like the Hondas I've had in the past! WOOHOO! I need to detail the car and then upload some pics. There is some sort of tar-like substance on the hood. I am pretty happy about that though because when I bought I thought it was paint flaking off!

I was once told that Saturns are no good past 100k miles. I am looking forward to proving that statement wrong!

P.S. What would you value this car at in good condition?
Congrats on getting yourself a decent runner for hopefully not a lot of money! The SL series Saturns have racked up some huge miles. A 1992 was traded in Minneapolis with 312,000 miles. The guy bought a 1997 and may still be driving it. By now there have to be some approaching the 500,000 mile mark.

You didn't indicate how much "tar" was on the hood. If it's small spots, use bug & tar remover and follow with a good wash & wax. If the patches are larger, get some clean parts cleaning solvent (not carburetor cleaner); wet a rag and use that. It will take several rags, but you'll get it off.

Prices vary depending on the part of the country you live in. Two good sources are Kelly blue book http://www.kbb.com/ and NADA Price Guide http://www.nadaguides.com/. Most dealers use one or both of these to price cars at retail and determine trade in values.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:10 AM   #5
ema02
ema02 is on a distinguished road

Cheers!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ema02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ema02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ema02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
crystal scan
Advanced Member
crystal scan is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ema02 View Post
Cheers!
the only prob with the SL1's only 100hp i like littl more then that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crystal scan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crystal scan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crystal scan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal scan View Post
the only prob with the SL1's only 100hp i like littl more then that
The price you pay for great fuel economy!

You may want to see the How-To Library. There is a sticky for ECTS replacement and some links to some cool YouTube Videos by Richpin.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
crystal scan
Advanced Member
crystal scan is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
The price you pay for great fuel economy!

You may want to see the How-To Library. There is a sticky for ECTS replacement and some links to some cool YouTube Videos by Richpin.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26
that is true, and the price you pay when i pass you up going up a will while your like 4 1/2-5k rpms while i am liek 3 1/2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crystal scan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crystal scan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crystal scan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
spiderpig24
spiderpig24 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

I go up some damn steep hills in my 94 SL1 clutch with 175,000 miles on it and NEVER have gone past 4,000 RPMs or even hade to flog on her to get up a hill, plus havent u heard going uphill giving the car gas is a GREAT way to waste ur $,lol. But really I love my lil "100" HP, cause it goes 0 to 40MPH as quick as I'll ever need, so who cares bout more power? Yeah I can burn out but why ruin my tires/ diff pin/ trans? Gotta baby these cars off the line but once she hits 2K's RPM plus she pulls nice and hard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spiderpig24's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spiderpig24 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spiderpig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Hello and welcome to Saturn Fans

I hope thats not found to be a rude welcome ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
spiderpig24

1994 SL1

Oh I wasnt attacking the poster, just Crystal Scan who banged on us "little HP" guys, I wasnt really trying to be rude to him/her either just making a comment, so I apolagise if anyone took that wrong way

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spiderpig24 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

and me I could give a rats apple what my RPM's are when I go up a hill as long as I'm not bouncing off the rev limiter.

ohh poopee look at my rpmeee's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
spiderpig24

1994 SL1

lol,i just feel from seat of pants that the sohc dosent breath well past 4k rpm, and it has more pull down low then up top in the rev band. but thank god my 94 is a clutch cause damn these brakes, im glad i can downshift to slow down also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!