SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 04-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
tsj9197
tsj9197 is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 Vue SES light and no throttle response.

i was driving my girlfriends 2002 vue AWD V6.
as i accelerated down an on-ramp i saw the SES light come on.
i got home and checked the codes and got P0121 and P1779.

i reset the codes and the next day we drove an hour away to visit family.
on the way back, just before accelerating down another on-ramp the CES light came on again and the engine stopped responding to the pedal. with the pedal floored i only had about 20% power. pulled over to the next exit and checked the codes (i brought my reader along just in case) this time i got
P0121, P0700 and P1779. after restarting the car the pedal seemed just fine the rest of the way back home.

any thoughts??

Thanks
Todd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tsj9197's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tsj9197 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tsj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Default Re: 2002 Vue SES light and no throttle response.

Welcome to the Board.

A couple of TSB's

Subject: Reduced Power,Stuck in High Gear,SES Light On,DTC P0223,P0504,P1228,P1271,P1280,P1599,P1779,P1791,P2 119,P2101,P2128,P2135,P2138 Set,Speaker Buzz Noise,HVAC Inop(Inspect/Replace Corroded/Bent Terminal) #03-08-45-003D - (02/24/2006)

2002-2003 Saturn VUE

Condition
Some customers may comment that the vehicle is exhibiting one or more of the following conditions:

Reduced power

Transaxle not down shifting

SES light on

Buzz noise from door speaker(s)

Speaker(s) inoperative

HVAC blower motor inoperative

A/C compressor commanded OFF with vehicle speed (evaporator temperature sensor circuit 719 and/or 731 may be open)

These conditions may be intermittent. Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) P0223, P0504, P0700, P1228, P1271, P1280, P1599, P1779, P1791, P2119, P2101, P2128, P2135, or P2138 may also be present.

Cause
The instrument panel/body inline connector (black 40-pin electrical connector), located behind the left hinge pillar garnish molding, may have bent or corroded terminals.

Correction
Disconnect and inspect the instrument panel/body inline connector (black 40-pin electrical connector). If necessary, replace damaged terminals and apply dielectric grease to the connector.

Subject: (MIL) Service Engine Soon Telltale Lamp On, Reduced Power Lamp May Illuminate with DTCs P0121, P0221 and/or P2135 (Replace Throttle Body, Throttle Body Connector, Throttle Body Terminals and Install #03-06-04-043 - (09/11/2003)

Models: 2000-2003 Saturn L-Series

2002-2003 Saturn VUE Vehicles

with 3.0L V6 Engine (VIN R -- RPO L81)

Condition
Some customers may comment the (MIL) SERVICE ENGINE SOON and Reduced Power Lamp may come on intermittently and/or stay on. DTCs P0121, P0221 and/or P2135 may be set.

Cause
This condition may be caused by loose or poor terminal tightness at the engine harness-to-throttle body connection.

Correction
Refer to the Saturn VUE L81 or the Saturn L-Series L81 service procedure in this bulletin.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
JSTDV8
JSTDV8 has a spectacular aura aboutJSTDV8 has a spectacular aura about

2008 VUE 3.5L
2002 VUE 3.0L

TSJ,
Did you ever find a solution to your problem? Im getting the exact same codes on my Vue. Looked at the 40 pin connector adn didnt see any issues there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JSTDV8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JSTDV8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JSTDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
Routs
Routs is on a distinguished road

I know this problem all too well. I haven't yet had a chance to check the connector at the TB Sensor but from all accounts that should fix it. If it doesn't it is most likely your TB that needs to be replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Routs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Routs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Routs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
dave2tall
dave2tall is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

If the SES light comes on followed by the Reduced Power light and reduced engine power, do not replace the throttle body. That German made part is just fine and will last forever. The problem is an electrical connection as the Tech Service Bulletins state.
I have the same vehicle and had the same problem. The service techs at the dealership fixed the wiring and insisted on replacing the throttle body. I insisted on them giving me the old one in a box. When I got home I replaced the throttle bodies and drove the Vue back to the dealer for a refund. Two years later, no problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dave2tall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dave2tall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dave2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
texan
texan is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

My SES has been for a while. Once or twice, the Reduced Power light came on with no throttle response, and we had to restart it. I had it at the dealership (before it went out of business) for the 100k service and asked about the SES light and reduced power. They said "Everything checks out," and sent me home with the light still on. Now it's doing it much more often and freaks out my wife, especially when it happens at an intersection. I don't see any corrosion at the 40-pin connector or the throttle body connector. I'm going to go look for some dielectric grease and see if that helps. Might as well try the cheap fix first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to texan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help texan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
JSTDV8
JSTDV8 has a spectacular aura aboutJSTDV8 has a spectacular aura about

2008 VUE 3.5L
2002 VUE 3.0L

I finally got around to replacing the throttle body on mine as a last resort after having the same problems and alot more and thee throttle body fixed it good as new.
I was lucky to get one from a salvage yard for 50 bucks.
the one I got was slightly different in that it had a vaccume port that faces towards the front of the car that my original didn't have.
We capped the port and left the key on for 30 seconds to let it learn and then fired it up. no more codes, no more issues so far.

Also we took apart the old throttle body motor casing and found 4 contacts that rub accross a board. My dad says that you might be able to fix the issue by spraying contact cleaner on it even though it doesnt look dirty.
Apparently this is common in large commercial aircraft and an easy fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JSTDV8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JSTDV8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JSTDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote