SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
charlie.deluca
charlie.deluca is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default P0341 Mitigation

Hi All,

Making my first post here at the forums. I am a newbie to DIY repairs. Got the Saturn in my profile for my 17 year old son who is a new driver. Went to NJ state inspection and had a bunch of SES codes. Among them was a P0341. So I got new plugs (the recommended NGKs) and wires and installed them. While installing the wires I cleaned off the coil towers with a scotchbrite pad (although they seemed pretty clean to begin with). All went well and the car seemed to run a bit better.

However once I did a bit of further reading here at the site I came across a post talking about oil being on the threads of plugs being a bad thing. Not knowing this is a testament to me being a newb. I then recalled that the old plug furthest to the left when facing the engine (that is the one closest to the passenger side) had oil on the threads when I removed it. Reading a bit more turned up the probability of a cam/valve cover gasket causing this. I also read that the PCV valve could also cause this.

I replaced the PCV valve yesterday afternoon. I took a look at the old valve. When I would turn it upside down the barrel thing inside would stay seated at the bottom unless I tapped it with a screwdriver. When I did the same thing with the new valve it freely opened up. As I am easily amused I repeated this like a dozen times with the same results.

I plan on removing the plug today, cleaning it, and putting it back in. So this leads me to solicit some opinions:

1. If we assume for a moment that it was indeed the PCV valve that was the problem how will I be able to tell? It seems to me that there will be some residual oil in there even if it is fixed. Should I keep taking out the plug every so often for a period of time and expect to see less & less oil each time?
2. Am I in denial about this whole thing and is it cam cover gasket time?
3. Are the new plugs and wires in peril? The vehicle has like 200 miles on it since the replacement.
4. I replaced the front O2 sensor last week but when I put in the new one I was unaware of the existence of anti-seize. Is it worth pulling it back out and applying a-s and putting it back in?
5. I see many references to cleaning the ICM but I cannot find instructions for this. A pointer would be much appreciated
6. Is anyone aware of where there is a diagram of which plugs lead to which coil towers? When I did the wires I reattached in the same sequence but I am not sure that it is correct. It probably is but want to make sure

Thanks!

1998 Saturn SC2
1.9L MFI DOHC (LL0)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to charlie.deluca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help charlie.deluca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
charlie.deluca is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: P0341 Mitigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie.deluca View Post

1. If we assume for a moment that it was indeed the PCV valve that was the problem how will I be able to tell? It seems to me that there will be some residual oil in there even if it is fixed. Should I keep taking out the plug every so often for a period of time and expect to see less & less oil each time?
No need. Just remove the boot off the wire and look down with a flashlight. Youll be able to see if there is oil or not

2. Am I in denial about this whole thing and is it cam cover gasket time?
Yes. Get a preformed one, and torquw to spec in the correct sequence
3. Are the new plugs and wires in peril? The vehicle has like 200 miles on it since the replacement. Not yet. Once the gasket is replaced, remove the plug, clean it, and clean the inside of the boot on the wire
4. I replaced the front O2 sensor last week but when I put in the new one I was unaware of the existence of anti-seize. Is it worth pulling it back out and applying a-s and putting it back in? I dont think so. I just put mine in and tightened it down
5. I see many references to cleaning the ICM but I cannot find instructions for this. A pointer would be much appreciatedLook in Wolfmans gallery. He has pictures showing exactly where to clean on the ICM. The backing plate is not the only place that needs to be corrosion free
6. Is anyone aware of where there is a diagram of which plugs lead to which coil towers? When I did the wires I reattached in the same sequence but I am not sure that it is correct. It probably is but want to make sure

Thanks!
Cylinders:
1-2-3-4
Plug Towers:
4-1-2-3

Cyl 1 is the one on the passenger side.

I have not heard of a PCV being the cause of a leaking came cover gasket. I have heard it being the cause of increase oil consumption. Oil in the plug wells is fixed by either
1. If there is not alot of oil, checking to make sure the cover is torqued to spec in the correct sequence may solve the issue
2. A new gasket

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
charlie.deluca
charlie.deluca is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Hi RC1488,

Thanks for the info. The plug in Cyl 1 has a very little oil surrounding it at the bottom of the well. By very little I mean that the metal ring of the plug that rests at the bottom of the well is not fully covered by oil so we may be talking like a 16th of an inch. The other 3 wells are bone dry.
Based on this I will take your suggestion and 1st try to tourque to spec, then remove the plug, clear the plug and the well of any oil, and see if any comes back. I guess if any does come back then it is gasket time.
Off to buy a torque wrench!

Thanks again.

1998 Saturn SC2
1.9L MFI DOHC (LL0)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to charlie.deluca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help charlie.deluca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
charlie.deluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Yupp yupp! Hopefully that does it! Good luck

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
techsista
techsista is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
I have heard it being the cause of increase oil consumption.
you may have secretly answered a question for me. i noticed my consumption has gone up a bit lately.

Oh, and charlie, welcome to saturn fans

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to techsista's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help techsista reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
techsista is offline   Reply With Quote