SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
C 2
C 2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default 99 SL1 Manual won't go into gear

I'm helping out a friend with his 99 SL1, and it's got an issue that's a bit out of my line of experience.

When the car is not running, the shifter feels fine. Once your start it though, it is hard to get into gear. The stick still moves smoothly, but it resists going into most gears, as if it wasn't ready.

When I tested it, I got it into first after almost a minute of trying, but couldn't get it into second at all, and ended up parking it in reverse (the only gear it wanted to go into)

Some observations:
  • The cables look fine. No signs of tearing, and the clips are intact. No signs of fraying, tearing, or other damage.
  • The shifter also looks normal. he is using an aftermarket bushing, but it's holding.
  • The clutch feels normal. The owner hasn't had any problems with gears grinding, or other signs of the clutch not fully engaging.
  • He first had this problem only with 3rd gear, but it has gradually begun affecting all gears. He seems able to drive it, but I was barely able to get it moving. He notes that it seems random, unaffected by drive duration or temps.

I suspect the syncros are shot, but I'm hoping for better ideas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C 2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C 2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
C 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: 99 SL1 Manual won't go into gear

Miles on the car?
Does he hold the clutch pedal down while at stop lights or long periods of rest?

Check the clutch hydraulics via Barnowls how-to.
More than likely it is the pressure plate with worn fingers. A new LUK clutch assembly from Clutchcities.com will do the trick

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
C 2
C 2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

It's sitting around 160k IIRC.

I don't know if he holds the petal, I'll ask him next time. I didn't do a full inspection of the hydraulics, but the clutch felt fine the two times I did get it into gear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C 2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C 2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
C 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

The diagnostics are at:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94634

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Push in the clutch.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

The gears may (sometimes) grind when the clutch doesn't fully DISengage. If the clutch isn't fully engaging, it will slip, so that's unlikely to be the problem. Try the above-referenced diagnostics, starting with the "creep" test. If you think it's the synchros, try double-clutching and report the results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote