SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
J_Graber
J_Graber is on a distinguished road

Sad Very Weird Problem - Clutch Won't Engage

Hello. I have done some searching on the forums but haven't been able to find a solution yet:

Just bought a 1995 SL2 5 speed. Drove great during test drive and on the way home. Clutch and shifter both felt good, no problems. Driving last night, still no problems. Then I pulled up at a stoplight, it turned green so i put it in 1st and let the clutch out: nothing. It wouldn't engage in any gear. Had to get a tow home and now it's sitting in my driveway, useless. I checked several things: transmission fluid is good, shifter bushing is secure, shifter cable linkages to the tranny are solid. With the car running, I can shift into first and release the clutch without gassing it at all, but nothing happens, no grinding or noise of any kind. I find it hard to believe that my clutch or tranny just blew out at a stoplight, but I don't know.

any suggestions??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J_Graber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J_Graber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J_Graber is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Very Weird Problem - Clutch Won't Engage

In first gear with the car on and the clutch pedal in its resting position, the car does not stall?

Check your hydraulics. Barnowl has a write up in the how-to section.

How does the shifter feel? any different? can it get into all gears with the car off?

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
J_Graber

thanks for your reply!

With the car running, in first gear, clutch in resting position, car does not stall.

The shifter feels pretty normal and i can shift into all gears with the car off.

I will try to check the hydraulics

thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help J_Graber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Engine running. Check to see if you can go into gear without touching the clutch pedal.

If you can then you have a mechanical problem. IE clutch is bad, broken axle, broken CV joint.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

http://thomasb.worldwideshoppersclub.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
J_Graber

Engine running, I can shift into any gear without touching the clutch. I assue this means it's not the hydraulics? Any idea how I figure out which mechanical component is broken?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
J_Graber

Hey also there is a slight smell of burnt rubber, but it definitely isn't the tires. Dunno if that helps the diagnosis...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Most likely a clutch problem then. Axle and CV joint can be checked by a visual inspection of the axles and CV joints.
The clutch components you can't inspect until they are removed and the trans needs to be moved out of the way to do that.

Hydraulics.
How does the clutch pedal feel?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
J_Graber

The clutch pedal feels normal. Does this mean the hydraulics are ok? Am I going to have to replace my clutch?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
ssicarman

Look under the car and check the axles and CV joints/boots. Rule them out. Check the trans fluid as well.
If all else looks ok, checks out ok then yes you are looking at clutch work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Clutchcity.com i believe is the site. You want a LUK clutch.

Yours is bad.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
J_Graber

Damn. I was afraid of that.

How about ebay? I found the LUK clutch for much chepear there than at clutchcityonline. Also, the other parts I will need such as ball joints, etc, can I just buy those at an auto parts store or should I have the mechanic source them or what? I'm sure it will be cheaper to buy the clutch myself then to have the mechanic buy it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Look under the car and check the axles and CV joints/boots. Rule them out.
+1 +2 +3. Immediate clutch failure is exceedingly unlikely.

Simpe test - requires an assistant. Have the assistant start the engine, shift into first and lift the clutch while FIRMLY pressing and holding the brake pedal (just in case). Inspect both drive axle shafts at this time. If one shaft is spinning, that shaft's outer CV joint has failed. Best to replace the whole shaft.

It's also possible for an inner joint to fail; that's harder to detect. For the driver's side, you might see the innermost portion of the shaft spinning. For the passenger side, you'd see the intermediate shaft spinning.

I'm not absoutely sure, but I think, also, that if a drive shaft / joint has failed, the speedometer will register a speed when you try to engage the drivetrain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

People have bought clutches from eBay and then got to remove them and replace them with the Clutch city product. The Clutch City LUK clutch costs 159.00 delivered. Do not forget to figure in the eBay inflated shipping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:01 AM   #14
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I agree this isn't hydraulics. It's either going to be an axle failure or a complete clutch disk failure. If it's the clutch disk, I would take a close look for a contaminant like oil or ATF.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote