SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default New GM CEO Not Fazed by Future Competition from Saturn Brand, Peugeot Cited As Poten

A new story entry has been added:

New GM CEO Not Fazed by Future Competition from Saturn Brand, Peugeot Cited As Potential Partner

Quote:
Automotive News recently talked with GM's new CEO, Fritz Henderson, about the state of General Motors and how he plans to fulfill the restructuring demands made by the Obama administration. While most of the interview focused on the company's new so-called core brands, the UAW, and it bloated dealership body, Henderson did discuss Saturn's desire to be spun-off, becoming independent of GM.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #2
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: New GM CEO Not Fazed by Future Competition from Saturn Brand, Peugeot Cited As P

I just wonder where they got the Peugeot story from?

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: New GM CEO Not Fazed by Future Competition from Saturn Brand, Peugeot Cited As P

Why keep the Saturn name alive under a foreign brand when the whole point was to have a competitive American car company?

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
TaylorMutts
TaylorMutts is on a distinguished road

Regardless of who the manufacturing source might be, do you think it is really necessary for Saturn to only sell US built vehicles? Isn't it more about the buying and ownership experience that sets Saturn apart from the other brands?

How do you feel about the Astra and the current VUE? Both are built out of the country, yet are great vehicles sold and serviced by great retailers.

For good or bad, the world has changed since 1990. It seems only fitting that Saturn evolve as well. I'd like to see what the future holds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TaylorMutts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TaylorMutts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TaylorMutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
Why keep the Saturn name alive under a foreign brand when the whole point was to have a competitive American car company?
For the same reason you bought a car built by a foreign company and yet still come here to post.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMutts View Post
Regardless of who the manufacturing source might be, do you think it is really necessary for Saturn to only sell US built vehicles? Isn't it more about the buying and ownership experience that sets Saturn apart from the other brands?

How do you feel about the Astra and the current VUE? Both are built out of the country, yet are great vehicles sold and serviced by great retailers.

For good or bad, the world has changed since 1990. It seems only fitting that Saturn evolve as well. I'd like to see what the future holds.
Mr Mutts: I have been wanting the Astra to be part of my family's 12 Saturns for years now. Well, finally it arrived in the US and I got one. My XE is my 4th personal Saturn and possibly the nicest car I have ever owned. Although Saturns have been the most reliable cars our family has had through the years the fit and finish was never quite right. That all changed with the Astra. I have had it for 5 months now with absolutely no fit or finish problems (or major mechanical problems either). If this is the direction of quality that the new Saturn is going in we are definitely headed in the right direction!

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
No, for me it was always more about the car than the retail side and marketing bs. And yes, I did buy a car from a foreign company, but I don't feel the same sense of pride with my Subaru that I did with the old Saturn. I'd have stuck with Saturn if they didn't let me down. And I wish there was a truly American car that I wanted to buy.

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

I went to the NY auto show today...there are some really nice looking cars from the US manufacturers. I like the Ford Fusion, but wish it wasn't built in Mexico. The Chevy Volt looks very cool, though it's expensive and the technology is obviously new. Buick even has some nice looking sedans now!

I like the VW CC, but man it's expensive with the V-6 and AWD. I was just as disappointed with the new Subaru Legacy in person as I was with the photos, unfortunately. I don't think I'll be buying another Subaru.

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
lococrzy
lococrzy is on a distinguished road

Peugeot ???

have you seen their cars?

They better develop bigger and better cars if they want them to be successful in the states

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lococrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lococrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lococrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Oh, saw the Chevy Cruze for the first time...didn't look like anything special. I don't care for the filler piece behind the back door where they kind of cheated, but it looks better I suppose than having the glass end abruptly with no filler, like with the Saturn Ion.

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lococrzy View Post
Peugeot ???

They better develop bigger and better cars if they want them to be successful in the states
I can see American buyers being turned off by Peugeot's quirky (French) styling, but I don't think the vehicles necessarily have to be bigger or better. The 207's dimensions are in line with any Focus, Civic, Sentra or Cobalt. Remember that whoever partners up with Saturn has to build the vehicle to Saturn's specifications.

I also suspect that PSA is in better financial health than Mitsubishi.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The future is crap jobs selling goods to people who either have a crap job, or work in the health care industry. Thanks to the policies of the last 8 years, the internet, IT, manufacturing, and now finance, are garbage sectors in america. No thanks. Those of you willing to gamble your future, go visit England, to see what life is like without industry. Its a two class society.

If a corporation stops providing value to the society, it has no value. Saturn is worthless unless it has more meaning than just the car.

There are plenty of asian branded vehicles that are equal or better to the VUE and Astra that are at least built here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
youknowme

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
I can see American buyers being turned off by Peugeot's quirky (French) styling, but I don't think the vehicles necessarily have to be bigger or better. The 207's dimensions are in line with any Focus, Civic, Sentra or Cobalt. Remember that whoever partners up with Saturn has to build the vehicle to Saturn's specifications.

I also suspect that PSA is in better financial health than Mitsubishi.

I have say PSA is the best of the possible players I have heard so far. I just got done typing(on another thread) that I had a very nice time recently in a 307CC in germany. I personally like the styling of Pugs. The 307( in grey metallic) was a real looker. No guts on the autobahn, but, eh,,, that can be fixed.

They have solid products, good engineering, and thanks to the exchange rate, would probably welcome building these in the US. Plus, they have dabled in polymer over the years. So, lets toss out the Freedom fries, and welcome the French! Viva la Peugot!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
youknowme

Quote:
Originally Posted by lococrzy View Post
Peugeot ???

They have quite good cars. Trust me. And even a few big cars. Go google some modern PSA designs...they are quite good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #15
youknowme

Quote:
The Chevy Volt looks very cool, though it's expensive and the technology is obviously new. Buick even has some nice looking sedans now!
I loved the Volt initially, but now I think its going to look so dated when it hits the streets,in comparison the Prius redesign is actually a little stylish.

Buick...can't wait till they go under or get sold or leased out entirely to the Chinese.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #16
Sival
Sival will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan

The problem with Peugeots is more one of engine and transmission choice I suppose. Peugeot (and Citroen, both are part of the same group) is known for its diesel engines, which aren't a big seller in North America. They do have gas engines but, well, the strongest gas engine they put in a 207 is a 1.6L engine, which gives 150 hp in its turbo version or 120 in its standard version. Peugeot offers a 4 speed automatic for its 1.6L non-turbo engine, but equipped this way its 0-100 Km/h (roughly 0-60 mph) is slower than 11 seconds. Unless they put in a stronger engine (like VW does) there's a potential problem there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sival's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sival reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #17
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah that worked out well for them so far.....I would say plan B should be in order. Forget about being American, think about staying alive first!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #18
eelfliw
eelfliw is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE
2002 SL

Unfortunately, this article does not detail what the "partnership" means. It can mean a lot of different things.

And Henderson is right about where GM's problem lie :

Quote:
While most of the interview focused on the company's new so-called core brands, the UAW, and it bloated dealership body,
GM has too many "brands". The Lambda chassis, for example, is sold by 4 different brands (Buick, Chev, GMC & Saturn). That's 4X the marketing, cosmetic engineering (read packaging), secondary manufacturing (eg. brand specific assembly), sales, parts logistics etc., and all the overhead (read management) to run these operations just to sell 1 platform. Reducing the number of brands to fewer "core" brands to sell 1 model per platform will dramatically cut costs associated with selling a platform.

Speaking of costs, the UAW is a massive cost for GM that foreign transplants do not have. The money doesn't just go to current workers. The pensions, healthcare benefits, 401K etc. all add up.

Finally, the dealership network is just massive. I live in a big city that has several "auto malls" (areas with a congregation of many car dealerships). Some of these auto malls has Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealership on one end, Chev on the other end and Saturn/Saab sandwiched in the middle. That's 3X the people to serve one set of GM customers.

So, getting rid of Saturn will help GM in the long run. In the mean time, Saturn needs to salvage what it has going for it to recover some of the investments people made in building the dealerships.

Partnering with Peugeot may or may not help both sides of the party depending on the degree of partnership. Here's one possible scenerio : Peugeot needs North American presence and Saturn need products to market. But what does Peugeot know about the North American market? Probably not as much as Saturn. As such, if Saturn designs the cars, shares cosmetic engineering with Peugeot and sells/services Peugeot cars, while leaving the manufacturing to Peugeot (let them deal with union issues - one of the key issue that's dogging GM), then Saturn effectively avoids all the problem GM is having now (too many brands, manufacturing unions and bloated dealer network).

The question is, will Peugeot (or anyone other manufacturer) bite?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eelfliw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eelfliw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eelfliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #19
Sival
Sival will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Speaking of costs, the UAW is a massive cost for GM that foreign transplants do not have. The money doesn't just go to current workers. The pensions, healthcare benefits, 401K etc. all add up.
The main problem is the pension and health care to retirees, take that away and the difference between the transplants and the unionized factories is small. My preferred option would be to force all plants making cars in the US to have the same pension fund so as to level the playing field (making Toyota and Honda pay for the workers from the American companies that they replaced with their own). But that's not in the cards, unfortunately, so the system that is in place actually is one that directly punishes companies for treating their employees well, I fail to see how that is good.

In terms of man-hours to make one car, unionized factories in the US are about as efficient as the Japanese factories.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sival's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sival reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:25 AM   #20
eelfliw
eelfliw is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE
2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sival View Post
The main problem is the pension and health care to retirees, take that away and the difference between the transplants and the unionized factories is small.
I wonder if bankruptcy is the only way for GM to get out of its commitment for those rich defined-benefit pension plan?

If so, I feel bad for the retired workers. That was the plan they signed up for years ago and now, through no fault of their own, they lose the pensions. Those plans were unsustainable given today's economy (stock market tanked, near zero bond rates, Obama administration printing money, etc.) May be hyperinflation is the only way to get out of this mess since this culture is so adverse to pay cuts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eelfliw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eelfliw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eelfliw is offline   Reply With Quote