SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
catena
catena is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 SL2 Cam Position Sensor Error

I have a 2002 SL2 with the 1.9 dohc motor. It has about 117K miles, lives in a northern Ohio climate, and it ran perfectly until recently...

It keeps throwing the codes P0340 and P0341 which are "no signal to PCM from camshaft sensor bank 1" and "incorrect signal to PCM from camshaft sensor bank 1", respectively.

One cold morning, I started the car and discovered the Service Engine Soon light did not turn off as it usually does. A brief drive revealed an intermittent misfire. After pulling the P0340 and P0341 codes at Autozone, I returned home and parked the car. Later that day, my father drove the car briefly and the SES light did not come on for him, and the car ran fine. This fixed the code only briefly: I drove the car the next day and within five minutes of startup I had to stop at a red light. A brief but noticeable misfire kicked the Service Engine Soon light back on as I waited for the light to turn green. It misfired once more on the way to the auto parts store to learn that it was giving the same P0340 and P0341 codes. I returned home, visited these forums and learned that the car does not have a cam position sensor per se, and that a tuneup usually fixes the problem.

Effort 1:
I tuned up the car using non-platinum plugs (.040 gap) and some Autocraft Professional wires. This fixed the code briefly, but then the SES light returned. I disconnected the battery again for several minutes to clear the code and had one successful test drive. However, after I parked it for the night and started it in the morning (it cranked very slowly and did not want to start), the Service Engine Soon light remained illuminated after startup and the intermittent misfire was still present.

Effort 2:
The difficult start sent me back to the auto parts store. A battery test revealed that my battery was bad. A new battery was installed, and the SES light was off. This lasted for one ride but again after parking and starting it the next day, the Service Engine Soon light stayed illuminated after startup and the car still misfired intermittently.

Effort 3:
The next new parts were two brand new OEM coil packs (not including the module). Disconnection of the battery and installation of these parts fixed the SES light and the misfire problem for two full days, but when I started it this morning the Service Engine Soon light is on again. I have not felt any misfires, but I have only driven it briefly.

I'm quite frustrated and out of ideas at this point, so I welcome any suggestions. Thanks everyone!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to catena's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help catena reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
catena is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
paulo
paulo will become famous soon enoughpaulo will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2002 SL2 Cam Position Sensor Error

The coil packs sit on top of the ignition control module. Since you have already replaced spark plugs/ ignition wires and both coil packs. I would suggest the removal and cleaning of the ignition control module. If there is corrosion on the backing plate and/or four bolts that hold it to the motor block, it will loose it's ground and cause a misfire. There are instructions in the "how to library". If the ignition control module is bad, still problems after cleaning. I would suggest replacing the entire unit at your local junk yard since this part is pricey new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
catena
catena is on a distinguished road

Thanks Paulo, that seems to have fixed it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to catena's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help catena reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
catena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

That's what she be since there is not Cam Position Sensors on these cars.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
Fastone916
Fastone916 is on a distinguished road

Idea Re: 2002 SL2 Cam Position Sensor Error_1

I have a 1996 SL2 and received the same error codes along with the SES (Service Engine Soon) light. The car would buck and hesitate once in a while prior to the SES light coming on.

In my case, my valve cover gasket seeped oil into my Number 4 cylinder spark plug well and was interfering with the signal to the PCM.

I simply removed the oil and cleaned the plug end and spark plug boot after checking the condition of the wires. I had already installed new Bosch Platinum 4 plugs a month earlier and had cleaned out the same spark plug well but there was much less oil in there the first time.

After 5 or 6 cycles of driving the car, the SES light went off. The Number 4 spark plug and wire must be in good condition or the error codes will appear along with the SES indicator.

The 1.9L DOHC does NOT have a cam sensor. In your case, when you disconnected the battery, you simply reset the computer temporarily.

Also, a simple way of removing the excess oil is to grab an old spray bottle nozzle and pick up tube, insert it into the spark plug well and spray the excess oil into a plastic cup. After removing virtually all of the oil, simply clean up the rest with either a strong paper towel or clean rag prior to removing the spark plug for inspection.

Check all wires and plugs carefully along with the connections at the coils. Hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fastone916's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fastone916 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fastone916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2
Default Re: 2002 SL2 Cam Position Sensor Error_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastone916 View Post
I had already installed new Bosch Platinum 4 plugs a month earlier...
Be smart and replace the platinum plugs with NGK copper plugs. They can be picked up at the dealer for dirt cheap.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2009, 05:09 AM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: 2002 SL2 Cam Position Sensor Error_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastone916 View Post
Also, a simple way of removing the excess oil is to grab an old spray bottle nozzle and pick up tube, insert it into the spark plug well and spray the excess oil into a plastic cup. After removing virtually all of the oil, simply clean up the rest with either a strong paper towel or clean rag prior to removing the spark plug for inspection.
Or you could just fix the gasket and not have to fool with it.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:21 AM   #8
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

^^^ hey... looks who's back.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!