SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2006, 10:11 AM   #41
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: First oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot
For instance, have you been driving under intense loads... have you been sitting in more traffic than normal, were your trips shorter/longer, was the speed more constant? Does the oil itself appear dirtier than normal? I think there are variables that the OLM doesn't necessarily consider...
Yes it does.

The OLM knows:

Engine revolutions
Start up temperature
Soak times
Coolant temperature
Ambient temperature
Etc.

Do YOU know these things? You towed a trailer... but do you know the average increase in RPMS for the trip and the increase in engine temp over "normal"? The OLM does. You tow a jetski to the lake, that means, what, you change your oil 500 miles sooner? How did you calculate that number? What if you towed an RV?

It's not the fact that you towed a trailer that depletes the oil. It's the higher load on the engine and higher engine temps... which YOU do not know, but the OLM does. If you tow a heavy trailer, the OLM light will come on sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
The OLM is guessing. Only the owner/drivers knows for sure what exact conditions the vehicle has been driven under.
No he does not. Neither does the OLM, but the OLM sure it a lot closer. As mentioned above, the OLM takes many more variables into consideration than the driver. That's not to say there should be TOTAL reliance on the OLM. There's a bit of common sense that has to be involved. But to not trust the light because you think it's just a random number generator is silly.

The owner, without the OLM, is taking variables he CANNOT quantify and translating them into a fixed number of miles for the interval. You towed a "sorta-big" trailer for "a couple hundred miles" when it was "kinda hot" outside then let your teenager drive the car who drives "aggressively" but the rest of the time you drove the car "mostly conservative." What does all this mean? How do you take all that and determine and oil change interval? Wouldn't it be more accurate to measure and record the exact engine revolutions, temperatures, times, etc. to calculate an interval?

I still believe the ONLY reason people do not trust the OLM monitor is that it usually suggests longer intervals than we are used to using. If it suggested shorter intervals, would people be ignoring it then? I doubt it!

Based on what I know about the system, I feel that the OLM is a more accurate determinant of intervals. I could always change my oil sooner, but I feel it is a waste. I have NO reason to believe that my engine will be harmed by following the light. My opinion is backed up by volumes of research and thousands of used oil analyses. Proponents of the alternative, fixed mileage intervals simply have not shown me quantitative data that proves their method is better. No one can argue that it is BAD, but it's hard for you to not claim that it is in some way wasteful.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2006, 10:48 AM   #42
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Then WHY, when EVERY manufacturer is striving for "low cost of ownership" numbers, and REDUCED maintenance costs, doesn't EVERY manufacturer use them?

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #43
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

My guess is that they do not wish to spend the money on the research. The mileage recommendations are "close enough" for their tastes. When we look at the big picture, we are talking about a small window of mileage here. People change their oil anywhere between 3K (based on tradition) and about 7K (based on the light) intervals. When considering oil life and engine life, it's a pretty small mileage base. Other automakers are confident in their mileage recommendations, which are probably more than adequate for engine protection. The OLM addresses the issue of "more than adequate" to reduce waste.

I really doubt "low cost of ownership" ratings had much to do with developing the OLM system. My 1990 Accord's manual recommended 7,500 mile intervals, which is slighty longer than what my VUE's OLM suggests. Most cars that rely on mileage for determining intervals probably are about in line with what an OLM would suggest. In fact, I don't regularly even see cost of ownership advertised. Just the occassional ads touting 100K tune-up intervals.

There are a few good benefits to having the OLM:

1) Reminds stupid people that cars in fact need something called an "oil change."

2) Takes the guesswork out of determing normal vs. severe operation

3) By more accurately measuring normal vs. severe operation, it reduces waste since many people think they drive harder than reality, and also helping to overcome the 3K rule that people follow no matter how "normal" their driving habits are.

When it comes down to it, Saturn could have just as well set mileage recommendations instead of an OLM. But that would have not helped problems listed above that the OLM addresses.

2008 BMW 328i

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2006, 09:39 PM   #44
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

I guess, based on personal expirence, the idea of an "Idiot light" for maintenance is probably a good one.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:52 AM   #45
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

I consider the OLM to be more than an idiot light, since it warns you BEFORE there is a problem. Most others come on after there's a problem, which really isn't just for idiots. A sensor failing will pop up an idiot light. So will not putting coolant or oil in the car (where the idiot part comes in).

So the OLM is part idiot, part at-least-average-intelligence light.

I rely on the OLM, and I USUALLY don't consider myself an idiot.

2008 BMW 328i

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2006, 08:23 PM   #46
number9
number9 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Deleted

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to number9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help number9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #47
silversurfer13
silversurfer13 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

ok im confused put my mind at ease please....i also had a 97 grand prix and used the OLM and would come one around 3500-4 grand...now this VUE is the first ive had that (mech) are telling me 5-7grand ave depending on driving conditions..and the manual u could go over a year? well i got mine at 31,000 saturn serviced it before i picked it up..saw that a rat/mouse was living in airbox for a long while and since they didnt notice it(dont think they even checked the airfilter) i went ahead and changed oil at 4grand..then i waited...well after 6500 miles i couldnt take it..the light didnt come on so i had an oil change...reset it..this time i am going to see how long before..or if it hits 7grand..but im amazed it said it can go up to a year..WOW.really? without damagin the engine? is it becuase we use 5w 30 instead of 10? what are ideal driving conditions? i put about 200 miles a week on my vue 75% is on highway...never redline it and always wait a min before drivng off when starting..dont tow anything..once a week i might have 3 other people in it for band practice the rest of the time just me.....would that be considered ideal driving?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silversurfer13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silversurfer13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silversurfer13 is offline   Reply With Quote