SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
usa4624
usa4624 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default 07 Aura XE 3.5 - Overheating / Temperature Fluctuation - Update

I took my Aura to a fourth dealer because of the temperature fluctuation and I started smelling coolant when I turned on the heat. They diagnosed it as a bad heater core, and replaced the core, trashing the interior of my car in the process.

They cleaned up the grease prints and hooked up the seatbelt, but would not fix the dashboard. They told me "The dashboard was not aligned properly when I bought the car. All of the 2007 Saturn Auras have dashboards that do not line up even with the door panels." My memory (and photos) say otherwise.

Also, I was told "Constant temperature fluctuation is normal. It shows the cooling system is functioning properly"

- and -

"It is also normal for the car to run hotter on warm days than on cold days."

Believe it or not, this is the second dealer to tell me this. Even more infuriating, nobody can tell me why the car warmed up to the same temperature for the first year and 50,000 miles I owned it, and not the temperature fluctuates constantly.

To make things even worse, the coolant smell has come back. I noticed it yesterday driving back from International Falls, MN, and it is worse than ever. I think either the new heater core has failed already, or something is not hooked up correctly.

At any rate, I'm still scratching my head and searching for suggestions.

---- History Below ----

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125950 [09/18/08]
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126811 [10/05/08]
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127170 [10/12/08]
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128694 [11/09/08]
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131217 [12/27/08]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to usa4624's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help usa4624 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
usa4624 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: 07 Aura XE 3.5 - Overheating / Temperature Fluctuation - Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa4624 View Post
I took my Aura to a fourth dealer because of the temperature fluctuation and I started smelling coolant when I turned on the heat. They diagnosed it as a bad heater core, and replaced the core, trashing the interior of my car in the process.

They cleaned up the grease prints and hooked up the seatbelt, but would not fix the dashboard. They told me "The dashboard was not aligned properly when I bought the car. All of the 2007 Saturn Auras have dashboards that do not line up even with the door panels." My memory (and photos) say otherwise.

Also, I was told "Constant temperature fluctuation is normal. It shows the cooling system is functioning properly"

- and -

"It is also normal for the car to run hotter on warm days than on cold days."

Believe it or not, this is the second dealer to tell me this. Even more infuriating, nobody can tell me why the car warmed up to the same temperature for the first year and 50,000 miles I owned it, and not the temperature fluctuates constantly.

To make things even worse, the coolant smell has come back. I noticed it yesterday driving back from International Falls, MN, and it is worse than ever. I think either the new heater core has failed already, or something is not hooked up correctly.

At any rate, I'm still scratching my head and searching for suggestions.
In My Humble Opinion
"Your dealer is either inept or to lazy to try and fix your car.
I live in the desert where the temps reach 115+
With my A/C on, MY AURA RUNS WITH THE TEMP GAGE JUST BELOW THE MID MARK. that would be between 3 and 4 O'clock on your analog watch.
When driving in Oregon and Washington at Christmas time, the outside air temp was between 20 and 30 degrees and MY TEMP GAGE WAS BETWEEN 3 AND 4 O'CLOCK.

If the thermostat is working correctly, your water pump is working correctly and your
coolant is the correct mixture of anti-freeze and water, you should not see fluctuations or ever smell anything.

A number of posters here have had heater core problems that resulted in coolant leaks into the interior of the car. They noticed the smell first.

You need to contact Saturn and report your problem then find another dealership, because yours isn't doing it's job."
Again, this is my opinion, you do what you feel you need to do.
Good Luck

Last edited by Phaeton Driver; 02-07-2009 at 01:31 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
usa4624

2002 SL1

Sadly, this is the third dealer I've been to in Illinois that tells me this is normal.

Here are the photos I showed the service manager; he said it was normal to see this much fluctuation in 6 miles of highway driving. It's never done this before the initial problem.

I have written the CAC once before on this issue - all they did was send me back to the dealer that couldn't find any problems and would not do any work on the car. They took the dealer's side that everything was normal, and inferred I don't know what I am talking about. Is there a way to make the CAC more useful? I don't mind sending another letter, but am skeptical from my last experience with them.

I do appreciate the advice, and agree with it all - but I'm having trouble getting any Saturn dealer (actually 3) of the CAC to do anything to fix my problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TempFlux.jpg (212.1 KB, 41 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help usa4624 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Man, I am so sorry to hear you are still suffering with this odd issue.

Honestly, for my Aura, I have never once ever seen the temp gauge above the half-way point.

Generally it stays just under the halfway point all the time. Like exactly in the same spot, it's almost odd in that respect. Even on days when the temp was in the 90s, as well as days in the -10s.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

my daughters 07 aura xe 3.5 has always done like your pictures. doesnt go above half but up to it and then back down. no coolant smell though

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
dishdude
dishdude is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Totally off topic, but my cruise light is in the speedometer. Weird.

2008 Saturn Aura XE I-4 Techno Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dishdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dishdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:52 AM   #7
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Sadly, this is the third dealer I've been to in Illinois that tells me this is normal.

Here are the photos I showed the service manager; he said it was normal to see this much fluctuation in 6 miles of highway driving. It's never done this before the initial problem.

I have written the CAC once before on this issue - all they did was send me back to the dealer that couldn't find any problems and would not do any work on the car. They took the dealer's side that everything was normal, and inferred I don't know what I am talking about. Is there a way to make the CAC more useful? I don't mind sending another letter, but am skeptical from my last experience with them.

I do appreciate the advice, and agree with it all - but I'm having trouble getting any Saturn dealer (actually 3) of the CAC to do anything to fix my problems.
Question: Do you hear the fans kick into high speed when the temp go over 3-O'clock position?
If yes, that would explain the raise and drop in temp.
But at 28 deg. there is no way your engine should ever get hot enough to need the fans.
Coolant smell is definitely something they should be able to duplicate and fix. The other poster here that had that same symptom had the dealer replace the entire heater core, which fixed the odor and wet carpet under the passenger seat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
gpartrid
gpartrid will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:

Has anyone of your dealers taken a look at the head gasket??? I had a very similar problem with my Honda Civic. First I noticed the temp gauge was at 3 o'clock when, previously, it's always been between the 3 to 4 o'clock position. Then I noticed the smell of coolant - faint, but definitely noticeable. I took it to the dealer and they installed a new thermostat and put some dye(?) in the coolant and told me to come back in a week unless things had drastically changed for the worse. Sure enough, I took it in for the check-up and it had a coolant leak due to a head gasket issue. They rebuilt the top half of the engine (redid the head?) approx. 7 years and 40k miles ago. It's run like a top ever since getting 30+ mpg.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:07 AM   #9
usa4624

2002 SL1

So far, different dealers have replaced the water pump, head gasket, intake gasket, heater core, 1 hose clip and 4 coolant overflow reservoirs. The head gasket stopped coolant from getting into the oil, but hasn't stopped the temp. fluctuation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!