SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
kaptnjack
kaptnjack will become famous soon enoughkaptnjack will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
1994 SL2
Default Middle Tennessee ......in the house.

I am a new member and I'm excited about participating in any way I can to give back to this community board for the great info and knowledge that I have gained lurking around for the last several weeks.

I am an old hotrodder from the 60's and 70's with a new found interest.....Saturn 1st gen's.

My nephew was going through cars like paper plates at a 4th of July picnic. He needed something that was cool, economical, sporty and easy to work on....hell...so did I.

I also wanted to find a project that I could work on with him, have some fun and make a little money too. He is interested in cars of course but also in mechanical work.

Anyway.....I started googling a couple of months ago trying to find such a car. This search led me to the Saturn.

I am a research freak...I want to know everything about everything that I am involved in. I researched the GM/Saturn ideology, design aspects, performance, parts availability, mods, etc, etc. for over a month before really taking the leap.

While in this process...I fell in love....real big, deep kinda luv.....

I really started to notice the great design and beautiful lines of the 1st gen car...and ...the performance, safety, reliability and economy....what a great piece of machinery. I was a mechanic for a while in my youth too so... I thought that a few "resto-mod" Saturns would be a great project for the two of us. We both could have a lot of fun working together on the restorations and upgrades, have some cool wheels to buzz around in...have economical, reliable and easily maintained transportation and maybe kill a ricer or two in the process......we have discussed building a task specific closed course car too. Just something to get our yaya's out. Oh Boy.

I immediately started my search for a buy opportunity. I emailed, called and drove to look at about 15 different Satty's. A couple weeks later there are three sitting in my driveway. Now I'm completely addicted...G~d help us all.

#1-92 SL1 burgundy 5spd
#2-92 SL2 white auto
#3-94 SL2 gold auto

They each have their own little issues but I drove them all home...one as far as 250 mile round trip.

Number one is the worse but runs...needs a lot of cosmetic work, runs poorly, needs a clutch and seats etc. If you ever get it started and warmed up...it almost runs and... rides and drives really nice.

Number two is the best of the bunch right out of the gate, Second owner, all Dealer work/repairs, non smoking older couple....hardly a rock chip but needs work on the inoperative fuel gauge, needs a TAM, speakers and odometer repair. Otherwise a very sharp specimen...white on gray, loaded and showing 108K miles (really about 115K by best estimate). The car, after detailing, is 95 out of a 100. I added a set of Billet Specialties 10 spoke 17x7's and 215/45/17's. It still needs a spoiler. It was going to be my "keeper" but I have since decided I had to have a sunroof so "whitey" is soon for the classifieds.

Number three is for my Nephew. Another car with lots of potential. It still had the 15 year old Dealer plate on the front. I have put all my recent efforts on this one.

Advertised with tranny problems...a local trans shop convinced the seller this was the case. I drove 50 miles to look at it, drove it around the block and thanks to info I got, in part, on this site... I had an idea what "may" be causing the issues he described. It was a gamble but I made an offer, he accepted and I drove it home...I had it fixed in 20 minutes.

This is very exciting....

I did an MMO soak (preventative), ran some MMO through the tank and currently within 100 miles with MMO in the crankcase pending fluid/filter change. Running a little Lube One in the tranny and did the reverse stand for a while to clean things up a little (preventative). I have it running at about 99% but it still has a little low RPM stutter...probably plugs/wires.....maybe the thermostat too....gauge reads low but it does have heat.

It needs some stuff.......headliner, speakers, odometer and front leather seats. It cleaned up really nice outside and underhood, no leaks noticed, rides great and is the tightest of all. Bought a set of gunmetal Motegi 17x7 FF7's and kuhmo's to mount when it gets a little closer to complete. Nephew's really buggin' me to get behind the wheel but I hope to finish up a couple things before He and It ..disappear into the night.

Been really cold...single digits here...and unheated garage has slowed the project down considerably.

Anyway...I look forward to meeting you guys sometime and sharing what I can to support our efforts here. I am sure my "partner" will soon be a registered member here too. I hope we can all learn and live together.

Peace
Kaptnjack

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaptnjack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaptnjack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaptnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Middle Tennessee ......in the house.

Welcome! um, you're from TN and just discovering Saturn? (just kidding)

There are many Saturn mod "nuts" that I have met who got me into 1st and 2nd gen Saturns. Lane is one of my favorite:

www.evilplastic.com

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
kaptnjack
kaptnjack will become famous soon enoughkaptnjack will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
1994 SL2

oh...the irony.

actually.....I live just about 30 miles from the plant.

nice meeting you Marx.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaptnjack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaptnjack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaptnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

same goes here. Ask around if you need help with your Saturn. I basically learned every nut and bolt in this Forum from these good people.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote