SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
Oil4MySaturn
Oil4MySaturn is on a distinguished road

Default Hello from a saturn enthusiast

Hi-

I am new here, but have been lurking and learning for some months. My reason for joining this site is so I could network and learn from this great knowledge base.

Summary of my Saturn: 1992 SL1 1.9L SOHC TBI 5 speed, 280,000 miles, second owner, 70 mile per day & 5 days per week commuter.

I have had her 2 years and have done the following work myself:
1) changed water pump (terrible sound, pretty easy to fix)
2) changed the alternator (pulled through bottom of chasis- not much fun)
3) changed the fuel pump with car on jack stands (not fun)
4) replaced wheel bearings (pressed by others) and replaced brake pads while I was there.

In short, I enjoy working on this car, she's simple and straightforward. I am an average Joe backyard mechanic. She gets 37 miles per gallon freeway commuting. While hypermiling she can get up to 43 miles per gallon (couldn't do any better) averaged over 5,000 miles. Is this mileage typical for MFI DOHC saturns too?

My plans are to replace the struts (should have done these with the bearings...).
I also have the popular fan temperature sensor malfunction/curse that I want to fix.
I hate electrical problems, but my windshield wipers occasionally stay on and this needs fixing. Looks pretty stupid to drive down the road on a cloudless day with the windshield wipers on.
I like a challenge, so I am planning to do an in place rebuild/re-ring. Seems others here have done this successfully. Any precautions or warnings?

If I could add, I have the following notes:
1) Saturn owners should carry oil in the trunk, just my opinion.
2) Saturns don't seem to draft behind diesels, not sure why.
3) Learn how to safely Hypermile.
4) When changing the fuel pump, make sure to drain all the gas first
5) When removing tie rods, learn the two hammer method - the heck with the pickle fork.

Thanks Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oil4MySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oil4MySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oil4MySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Hello from a saturn enthusiast

Welcome! You will find many helpful Saturn owners here. Sounds like you ahve alot of work cut out for you, great car though. Our base '96 SL got over 350K miles.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

Welcome Andy. You may want to post your location in your profile to make some local contacts.

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Welcome

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
SinCitySaturn
SinCitySaturn is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil4MySaturn View Post
Hi-

I am new here, but have been lurking and learning for some months. My reason for joining this site is so I could network and learn from this great knowledge base.

Summary of my Saturn: 1992 SL1 1.9L SOHC TBI 5 speed, 280,000 miles, second owner, 70 mile per day & 5 days per week commuter.

I have had her 2 years and have done the following work myself:
1) changed water pump (terrible sound, pretty easy to fix)
2) changed the alternator (pulled through bottom of chasis- not much fun)
3) changed the fuel pump with car on jack stands (not fun)
4) replaced wheel bearings (pressed by others) and replaced brake pads while I was there.

In short, I enjoy working on this car, she's simple and straightforward. I am an average Joe backyard mechanic. She gets 37 miles per gallon freeway commuting. While hypermiling she can get up to 43 miles per gallon (couldn't do any better) averaged over 5,000 miles. Is this mileage typical for MFI DOHC saturns too?

My plans are to replace the struts (should have done these with the bearings...).
I also have the popular fan temperature sensor malfunction/curse that I want to fix.
I hate electrical problems, but my windshield wipers occasionally stay on and this needs fixing. Looks pretty stupid to drive down the road on a cloudless day with the windshield wipers on.
I like a challenge, so I am planning to do an in place rebuild/re-ring. Seems others here have done this successfully. Any precautions or warnings?

If I could add, I have the following notes:
1) Saturn owners should carry oil in the trunk, just my opinion.
2) Saturns don't seem to draft behind diesels, not sure why.
3) Learn how to safely Hypermile.
4) When changing the fuel pump, make sure to drain all the gas first
5) When removing tie rods, learn the two hammer method - the heck with the pickle fork.

Thanks Andy
Welcome to Saturn Fans Andy

Saturn Saved The Best For Last
Live for Nothing...Or Die For Something

2008 Vue XR 3.6
1997 SL2 Auto 110K miles as of 12-14-13
<-----2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS 35th Anniversary

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SinCitySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SinCitySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SinCitySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote