SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
cnguyen
cnguyen is on a distinguished road

Default 07 Outlook stalls for no reason

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and came across it while searching for answers to my issue with my 2007 Outlook. I purchased the vehicle in Feb 07. Loved the car (hence the past tense in loved). Shortly after getting an after market DVD player, by battery dies. Get it towed, replace the battery. All is well-for a few days and it happens again. Apparently the internal computer is quite sensitive and there are special instructions on installing DVD players. My isse gets resolved finally because another Saturn owner has the same issue and they figure out what is going on.

Well my new issue is that my car has stalled on me 3 times in the past 30 days. All three times it was within the first hour of being on the road. The first two times I was actually driving and the third time (which happened to be today) I was backing out of the driveway.)

This is my third trip to the shop with it. The first time they couldn't find anything and returned the car after a couple of hours. The second time they kept the car for a week and drove it all over the place hoping to recreate the issue. No luck and they return the car. I have now had it back for 2 weeks and what do you know-this morning it dies on me again. Needless to say, Saturn has the vehicle again at the local dealership. I have also called Saturn Customer Service and have an open ticket on the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or one similar? All three times my vehicle restarted, but there was no code for the techs to figure out what is causing the vehicle to stall. My car is not even 2 years old and doesn't even have 36k miles on it yet.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cnguyen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cnguyen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
Default Re: 07 Outlook stalls for no reason

When you get it back and if it stalls again, call onstar at once and have them run a diagnostic test. You might have better results. However it sounds like you might have a partially blocked fuel line or junk in the tank.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
squider
squider is on a distinguished road

If your repair shop has a VDR (vehicle data recorder) ask then to istall it for you. What you can do is drive with the VDR in the Outlook (and for example your last stall was on a cold start back up) you can push the button (it looks like a call button that you find on a hospital bed) and it records about 30 secs to a min of the Outlooks PCM. You can do this up to 7 times before you wipeout the first recording. If it stalls while recording you can drop the VDR back off the the shop and they can then download the systems info to a PC and then compare if there are any odd readings.

Secondly have the check the fuse block inside the car. The outlooks are known for water leaks and a few have had water damage to the fuse panel and caused a stall.

Squider

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to squider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help squider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
squider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Not to over-simplify it, but could it be bad gas or water in the gas? Many of the local "econogas" bargain stations have good prices but are a bit "iffy" on the product they sell.

Why not add a bottle of dry-gas & a bottle of fuel injector cleaner (or some combo product that does both), then top-off the gas tank with gas from another station, preferably one of the big-names that quality-controls their own product (e.g. Sunoco)? It couldn't hurt. Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
joshg31
joshg31 is on a distinguished road

My wife and I recently had the same issue backing out of a driveway. The car had been warmed using the remote starter and had run about 8 min. It wasnt overly cold outside. I put it in reverse and the car just died. It started back up right away and i havent had the problem since. I would chalk it up to bad gas although we dont use the el cheapo stations. The reason i am concerned is that someone had mentioned the leaking issues due to faulty drain tubes and my outlook has had these issues, it occured full on a few months back, flooding my roof liner, ran down my A-Pillars and down under the dash and onto the carpet. We were away for most of the day of hard rain and upon returning home and heading out to shop with the kids, water came rushing down our seatbelts and I realized everything was soaked. The dealer had it for a week and replaced the carpet, roof liner and door handles/trim as they were water stained.. they claimed the did not notice any electric damage despite theyre being water in the interior roof light pods and the underdash filter on the passenger side being completed drenched. I didnt even leave the lot after it was allegedly repaired and water came rushing down the seatbelt and down the front windshield from above. They left it out overnight and it had rained again.. GM could care less about my concerns and I was blown off by the local DM. Now the car stalls and I wonder if its the first of many electrical faults caused by the flooding..

2007 Saturn Outlook XR 4AWD Cocoa w/ Black Leather
Premium Trim
Advanced Audio Package
DVD Package
XM radio
Tow Package
Cross Rails
Remote Start
HID's
19" Sport Touring Package

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joshg31's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joshg31 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joshg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshg31 View Post
My wife and I recently had the same issue backing out of a driveway. The car had been warmed using the remote starter and had run about 8 min. It wasnt overly cold outside. I put it in reverse and the car just died. It started back up right away and i havent had the problem since. I would chalk it up to bad gas although we dont use the el cheapo stations. The reason i am concerned is that someone had mentioned the leaking issues due to faulty drain tubes and my outlook has had these issues, it occured full on a few months back, flooding my roof liner, ran down my A-Pillars and down under the dash and onto the carpet. We were away for most of the day of hard rain and upon returning home and heading out to shop with the kids, water came rushing down our seatbelts and I realized everything was soaked. The dealer had it for a week and replaced the carpet, roof liner and door handles/trim as they were water stained.. they claimed the did not notice any electric damage despite theyre being water in the interior roof light pods and the underdash filter on the passenger side being completed drenched. I didnt even leave the lot after it was allegedly repaired and water came rushing down the seatbelt and down the front windshield from above. They left it out overnight and it had rained again.. GM could care less about my concerns and I was blown off by the local DM. Now the car stalls and I wonder if its the first of many electrical faults caused by the flooding..

I have not had any stalling or electrical issues with my leaking/flooding and it has been 10 months since the last one. I doubt that GM could careless as they have been trying to, authorizing the dealer to take care of all the vehicles. I would say that your dealer does not care and I would try a different dealer, even if it is not Saturn.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
joshg31
joshg31 is on a distinguished road

The dealer has been pretty good to me. Although they don't seem capable of fixing issues the first or even the second time, they have always provided me a rental and paid the optional insurance even though Saturn national as a policy refuses to do so. This vehicle has seemed like a lemon since day one, its been one problem after another. Although i am somewhat understanding since it was the first year and there are bucks to be had, there have been some major safety issues with my vehicle over the past 2 years. It has been in the shop over 45 cumulative days for defective repair. I have opened cases with GM/Saturn each time a major defect had occurred and at no time have they been sympathetic or willing to compensate me for my inconvenience. I have never once asked them for anything but at the insistence of the service manager at my dealership, after the 2nd issue with the water leak I requested that the vehicle be replaced and was told that they didn't feel that I was due any compensation other than continued repair of the vehicle under warranty. They wouldn't even reimburse me for the optional insurance on their rentals, which I will always take because accidents can happen and why should my premium go up? In addition to the insurance reimbursement from the dealer, they have given me a full months payment for the trouble because National refused to offer anything, this after multiple problems and repair tickets to prove it. The Service Manager knows my vehicles history and believes that I have a strong case against GM for lemon and assures me it does not sour the relationship I have with the dealership if I were to persue it. I was trying to give it a few months to see if the water leak issues were resolved but there are still other issues that have not gone away and enough is enough. It only has a little over 17k mi on and should not have so many problems. As for trying another dealership, this one is where I purchased the vehicle from and is 5 minutes from my house. The next closest is over an hour away. I already commute over an hour to work and its not really an option for me to do so for faulty repair. I have twin 14 month olds that rely on a safe dependable vehicle and so does my wife. I think for me, my only logical option is to talk to a lawyer and see if they feel i have a case.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR 4AWD Cocoa w/ Black Leather
Premium Trim
Advanced Audio Package
DVD Package
XM radio
Tow Package
Cross Rails
Remote Start
HID's
19" Sport Touring Package

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joshg31's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joshg31 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joshg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnguyen View Post
Shortly after getting an after market DVD player, by battery dies. Get it towed, replace the battery. All is well-for a few days and it happens again. Apparently the internal computer is quite sensitive and there are special instructions on installing DVD players. My isse gets resolved finally because another Saturn owner has the same issue and they figure out what is going on.
Note this. Stalling, in any form, is NOT normal or common with this line of vehicles or its powertrain. What I have seen, however, was another owner--at least one--on the Buick Enclave forum who bought a new Enclave, had a DVD player professionally installed and then all of a sudden, it started having stalling and other simply dead issues repeatedly. It was towed more than once, the dealer dug through it and checked, etc. and in the end of course the issue was the DVD install, even though it was by the books.

These vehicles, as pretty much every recent GM, have extremely high electrical loads on the system straight from the factory due to the electronics used in them from stereo to lights and, often, disruption in the system with installation of something new even by a professional can create such a problem.

Did you have any such issue pre-install of the DVD? Who did the install?

Of course, the issue could also be unrelated and something in relation to fuel or ignition, but when I saw DVD and install, I immediately thought of the other case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

This happened to me and my wife the other night. Started it remotely, put the key in, put it in reverse, backed up a bit, and it just died. Hasn't happened before or again, but it was really strange. There must be something to this. I haven't had anything touched on the car as far as external installations, and I don't buy particularly "cheap" gas. Could be the car getting used to some oxygenation in the gas, though, I suppose, but I wouldn't think it would just stall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #10
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMMVMMM View Post
This happened to me and my wife the other night. Started it remotely, put the key in, put it in reverse, backed up a bit, and it just died. Hasn't happened before or again, but it was really strange. There must be something to this. I haven't had anything touched on the car as far as external installations, and I don't buy particularly "cheap" gas. Could be the car getting used to some oxygenation in the gas, though, I suppose, but I wouldn't think it would just stall.
Yeah, with nothing ever having been modified, still clearly some kind of an electrical system or ignition issue. No car should stall out as such, period.

I've seen talk of similar issues here and there on a few new GM vehicles--not exactly common, but enough to see it on online forums--due to excess electrical drain, battery issues (several), etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote