SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
postivecharge
postivecharge is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1998 Outlook XR
Dizzy cvt trouble?

well i purchased my first saturn...i got an 03 ion quad coupe...it was/is a salvage vehicle...i bought it with the intentions on making myself a nice little ride during my spare time this winter...well i pull it off the tow truck and prep it with the throttle postion sensor wich was damaged and assuming i can just drive it and park it...well not so much the case...i give it some gas and it just barely moves...so i give it more...still barely anything finally it gains a little momentum...(now i dont usually work on newer cars keep that in mind too much computer stuff)....so it feels to me like the tranny is low on fluid....the engine is strong but it feels like its just slipping and barely catching...i go thru the handbook wich was no help, and eventually find the fill plug under a wire harness...no dipstick so i have no clue how to tell how much fluid...i look it up online and it says you should be able to see it...well it looks wet just no sign of any major ammount of fluid...so i went and got some automatic transmission fluid dex/merc (i know its not the right stuff) and mixed it in the cap (with a little from inside the tranny) to see if there was any type of reaction between the two...none...so i put 4 quarts in still not seeming full i said heck with it and put the cap on and started the car up and just checked to see if i felt a different...not much if any but im not sure if there is even enough fluid in it...i only moved it maybe 5 feet...i put some white cardboard underneath the car to see if i could find any leaks...and nothing...so here i am with a infamously bad transmission that seems to be having a problem, had no leak i can see, but still no fluid in it...the guy at the salvage yard had drove it to move it several times before i bought it supposedly...if this thing is shot (im going to flush the transmission and refill it with the proper fluid)...then what can i do optionwise...i have rad allot and get allot of contradictory info...one thing for sure is no one seems to think its a good idea keeping the cvt in... can i switch it to a manual easily...can i put one of the various other transmissions that bolt to other ecotecs in it...like an auto from a cobalt or sinfire? or even an 03 ion 4 door sedan auto in it? help me out...i have been doing tons of reading and im getting just about nowhere
justin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to postivecharge's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help postivecharge reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
postivecharge is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: cvt trouble?

Listen.

We live in a different world now.

The days of swapping out a transmission on a newer car are long gone.

The fuel system and the transmission are all interconnected by a multitude of computer chips.

You may have a good parts car. Sell the individual parts online and try to get some of your money back.

And don't buy any car with a CVT transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

there are a few people on here trying to swap transmissions to the aisin, and it's not at all impossible, read the other posts and you'll get a plethora of info on this. DO NOT attempt to drain and fill the CVT by your self, this transmission requires a scanner to monitor the level while you are pouring it in, and you can't attain it, only a dealership can do this service.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
phillthy
phillthy is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

i'd be worried about the extra 4 quarts u added! The level is checked by testing the transmission fluid temp using a code reader as stated previously.

anyway, regarding the car barely moving, i installed a remote car starter and after words it would barely move, i managed to get it to roll down my driveway(70feet downhill) with the help of someone pushing and onto a country road infront of the house, slowly rolled about 100 feet then it seemed to back fire alittle and then worked like normal.

That happened about a year ago, now just recently it seems to be doing something simuliar randomly when i put it in reverse or drive, when the weather is cold. it wont move anymore then maybe an inch, i can get it to slowly rock back and forth and then after 1-5minutes the trany engages and im on my way. does this with the car warm and cold

there is a dex-cvt additive that is suppose to be added at 90,000km that rejuvinates the lubracation properties of the transmission fluid. i myself am at 130,000kms and have not added this fluid, plan on doing it in the near future to see if it helps my issues.

I've also read somewhere that the trany fluid is not red in color, but instead it is green, but i havent verified that. talked to saturn and the only thing the service guy seems to know is that "nothing involving the vti(cvt) transmission is cheap to fix". couldnt even tell me the color of the fluid!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phillthy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phillthy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phillthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
jeepinwi
jeepinwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillthy View Post
i'd be worried about the extra 4 quarts u added! The level is checked by testing the transmission fluid temp using a code reader as stated previously.

anyway, regarding the car barely moving, i installed a remote car starter and after words it would barely move, i managed to get it to roll down my driveway(70feet downhill) with the help of someone pushing and onto a country road infront of the house, slowly rolled about 100 feet then it seemed to back fire alittle and then worked like normal.

That happened about a year ago, now just recently it seems to be doing something simuliar randomly when i put it in reverse or drive, when the weather is cold. it wont move anymore then maybe an inch, i can get it to slowly rock back and forth and then after 1-5minutes the trany engages and im on my way. does this with the car warm and cold

there is a dex-cvt additive that is suppose to be added at 90,000km that rejuvinates the lubracation properties of the transmission fluid. i myself am at 130,000kms and have not added this fluid, plan on doing it in the near future to see if it helps my issues.

I've also read somewhere that the trany fluid is not red in color, but instead it is green, but i havent verified that. talked to saturn and the only thing the service guy seems to know is that "nothing involving the vti(cvt) transmission is cheap to fix". couldnt even tell me the color of the fluid!
If you know nothing has been done with the trans fluid, I'd suggest taking it to the dealership to have a trans flush and fill completed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeepinwi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeepinwi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jeepinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
postivecharge
postivecharge is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1998 Outlook XR

mainly i had it dropped off and it needed to be moved...it wouldnt move...but instead just revved...smelled a little bit of burning...i just shut it off...seemed like a tranny with no/low fluid....i put some fluid in and it moved...as for now im just waiting on the hood and stuff to get it the rest of the way together...besides i just paid 250 to have it towed to my house so i can work on it...now the closest dealership is where i towed it from...so its a bit of a pain in the ass that i cant change my own fluid....never was a big fan of the whole "you can only get parts from us" or "you have to pay for services only able to be done thru us"...i mean a scanner for petes sake to put in fluid i mean how over the top is that...i mean the transmission needs/ holds a certain amount....why should someone need a specialty tool to do it themselves its a simple fluid exchange...fluid dynamics suggests the ammount that is good for it is a difinitive amount...the volume of the inside of the trans is not changing...neither should the ammount of fluid needed...besides saturn charges 400 bones for the service...250 for the tow and 400 for the service on a possible fix for a notoriously bad transmission that currently has a class action lawsuit filed against gm, just doesnt seem worth it...i would rather just wait to see what goes on and do a trans swap to a far less faulty transmission...and maybe cost me about the same amount or less for something far more reliable....thats my cost/benefit analysis...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to postivecharge's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help postivecharge reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
postivecharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

if you can get the car there, you can probably get them to just check and fill it for not nearly as much

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote