SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2008, 02:56 AM   #1
cjalowiec13
cjalowiec13 is on a distinguished road

Default Horn went NUTS and not clicking from Inside fuse panel on 2004 Vue

So a few days ago my car battery went almost dead for some reason... still dont know why. I tried to lock it with the key pad anf the horn got stuck at that long "hhhoooooonnnnnkkkkk." I got in and put the key in the ignition which silenced that. I charged the battery and the horn when crazy again, so i took out the horn fuse under the hood. I let the car run and charge for a while. The next day i went out to leave, and the batter is dead again. I get in and the inside lights are flickering and i hear a clicking sound from the inside fuse panel. I put my finger on a few and it was one of the giant, i think fuses, on the inside fuse panel. When the clicking stopped because the battery completely killed itself, i looked up what they were and it was one of the door fuses, or relays, i think??? any help please....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cjalowiec13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cjalowiec13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cjalowiec13 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
aquatechie
aquatechie is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Horn went NUTS and not clicking from Inside fuse panel on 2004 Vue

Looks like we got another one.

Bottom line, your horn switch is shot. You've got 3 options...

A - pull the fuse and ride around with no horn
B - spend in the neighborhood of $900 to replace the airbag. The switch is built into the airbag and cannot be replaced independently.
C - Buy some parts from Radio Shack for under $10 and make yourself a new horn switch.

My second bout with the switch happened when I used the keyfob to lock the car and the horn got "stuck". The techs will probably tell you it's the Body Control Module going bad. DON'T let them replace it. My horn still got stuck withing 48 hours of replacing the BCM. Only replacing the airbag (or bypassing the OEM switch) will work.

Do a forum search and you'll find it is an annoyingly common problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aquatechie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aquatechie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aquatechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
cjalowiec13
cjalowiec13 is on a distinguished road

ya, i pulled the horn fuse. Im just trying to figure out why there is clicking from the inside fuse panel (under the glove box). LLike one of the door relays is shot or something... any idea on this??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cjalowiec13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cjalowiec13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cjalowiec13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ever consider the battery may be on its last legs? If its the original one, have it tested before chasing your tail running down problems that may be from either a failing battery or battery cable corrosion. The clicking and mystery electrical problems can easily be battery/cable related if blow it off by looking in all the wrong places. Power problems begins with the battery, cables, serpentine belt, belt tensioner, and then the alternator supplying electrical power for recharging the battery and running the entire electrical system in our cars.

A quick rule of thumb; battery voltage 12.5v+, engine idling 13.5v+, and above idling 14.3v+. Less battery voltage? Low alternator output? Belt taut?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

I almost wonder if the BCM is actually flipping out, though.

It's clicking and flashing the lights like it is receiving a signal from a remote. If the remotes are not in range and it is doing this, perhaps it's either shorted or cracked out?

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #6
Rivernut
Rivernut will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L
1996 SL2

Too many variables, but I would check the battery and charging system first. Is this the original battery? You did not do something silly like jump start someone and tap the terminals or jump start a car period did you? This can blow out the diode in the alternator. Common to see battery issues with the arrival of cold weather. If the battery connections and alternator are okay, then I would continue driving it looking for other signs of a dieing BCM such as dancing gauges and warning lights randomly turning on and off. The clicking is a solenoid of some sort, maybe several receiving marginal voltage to energize them. I put a couple thousand miles on my '03 without the battery being drawn down. I'm betting my dollar on the battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rivernut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rivernut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rivernut is offline   Reply With Quote