SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #21
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 07 Saturn Outlook rust everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCityShawn View Post
Tethys... It's a paint thing. Metal or Polymer underneath, doesn't matter. A quick Google search came up with this if it helps: http://www.squidoo.com/claybardetailing

Shawn
Correct. No matter what the material is, it's for automotive painted surfaces, and can pull all sorts of grit and gunk out--even that you can't hardly feel or remotely see, a lot of the time.

For the best value and the main clay bar original, Clay Magic is great. Autozone carries them with spray lube, but you can also order them online (which I did not long ago).

http://www.claymagic.net/

Not only removed typical rail dust and other gunk from our new Malibu, but I used the same thing to remove quite a bit of fine overspray all over my car after some recent body work. Worked like a charm, and all is spotless and smooth like glass again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #22
HJ92126
HJ92126 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

I am begining to wonder what this so called "acid" wash is. It sounds pretty drastic to me. Why use some harsh chemical when clay is completely safe? (as long as it is clean). I would never put an acid on my car. Mother's clay bar worked wonders for my cars.

2007 Outlook XE
2006 Grand Prix

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HJ92126's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HJ92126 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HJ92126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #23
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies, especially since I don't own an Outlook. I'll peruse this information before it's time to give my car its first thorough cleansing of 2008.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #24
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

From another online forum:

A simple definition of RAIL DUST

When your car is shipped from the factory, the friction from the steel train wheels against the steel tracks creates micro small RED HOT metal fragments that go into the air, and eventually end up on your car. To the untrained eye it does look like rust. The only thing that will remove it is Clay. So if you see this don't panic, your car is not rusting away.

I also found a website that is a UK website, which describes RAIL DUST, what it looks like, and removal of it from a vehicle using a clay bar made by 3M. RAIL DUST is also referred to as "Industrial Fallout"

http://www.clean-image.co.uk/articles/fallout.htm

Hope the article helps anyone who is concerned about Rail Dust.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #25
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click-it View Post
Really? so something like this is common?

very common

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #26
rehm70
rehm70 is on a distinguished road

I've never heard of Rail Dust not being taken care of by the dealer.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rehm70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rehm70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rehm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #27
yellow_saturn01
yellow_saturn01 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

either way, whether the dealer takes care of it or if you need to take a couple hours and clay bar your ride. i recommend that everyone clay bar there car every spring. especially if you live someone that it snows. i clay bar my car in the spring and then in late october before the snow starts.

If you have never used it before you will need to put a little bit of elbow grease into it if you have some deeply embedded road dust or tiny pebbles. But trust you will love the results. your lighter color cars are most noticable with the difference. I have white on my car and when i get done, it almost looks as if i just put a fresh coat of gloss on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yellow_saturn01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yellow_saturn01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yellow_saturn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #28
myblubu
myblubu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click-it View Post
Saturn just called me claiming rail dust and a bulletin is coming out for it.
Anyone know what the Bulletin says - my 07 Outlook (White Diamond Paint) has this and I just took it to the dealer who has told me several things (including that if I wash my car at home, I must have Iron in my water). Bottom line, they won't take care of it & told me that I might want to get the car detailed. When I mentioned a Bulletin, they told me that a bulletin existed but it only applies to vehicles BEFORE they are delivered. So does anyone have any details on a Bulletin related (Date/number etc) and what it actually says???

I did see this in Kevin 2007 XR's Listing of Technical Service Bulletins for the Outlook:

05-08-51-008B APR 07 Body - Bumps or Rust Colored Spots in Paint

Has anyone else had the retailer take care of the problem AFTER delivery?

"Pearl" - '07 Outlook XR FWD, Convenience, Adv. Audio, DVD, Prem. Trim, Enhanced Convenience, Touring, Trailering, Dual Skyscapes, XM, 2nd Row Captains Chairs, White Diamond Paint, Black Leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to myblubu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help myblubu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
myblubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #29
myblubu

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubu View Post
Anyone know what the Bulletin says - my 07 Outlook (White Diamond Paint) has this and I just took it to the dealer who has told me several things (including that if I wash my car at home, I must have Iron in my water). Bottom line, they won't take care of it & told me that I might want to get the car detailed. When I mentioned a Bulletin, they told me that a bulletin existed but it only applies to vehicles BEFORE they are delivered. So does anyone have any details on a Bulletin related (Date/number etc) and what it actually says???

I did see this in Kevin 2007 XR's Listing of Technical Service Bulletins for the Outlook:

05-08-51-008B APR 07 Body - Bumps or Rust Colored Spots in Paint

Has anyone else had the retailer take care of the problem AFTER delivery?

My Saturn retialer would NOT repair the rust spots - they gave me a copy of the Bulletin and pointed out where it says: "Although rail dust is not a result of any defects in materials or warkmanship, GM will correct the condition on vehicles during the pre-delivery process."

Focused on the "pre-delivery" phrase and would not repair it. She suggested that I wax my car.

"Pearl" - '07 Outlook XR FWD, Convenience, Adv. Audio, DVD, Prem. Trim, Enhanced Convenience, Touring, Trailering, Dual Skyscapes, XM, 2nd Row Captains Chairs, White Diamond Paint, Black Leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help myblubu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:11 PM   #30
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: 07 Saturn Outlook rust everywhere.

Quote:
My Saturn retialer would NOT repair the rust spots - they gave me a copy of the Bulletin and pointed out where it says: "Although rail dust is not a result of any defects in materials or warkmanship, GM will correct the condition on vehicles during the pre-delivery process."

Focused on the "pre-delivery" phrase and would not repair it. She suggested that I wax my car.

Wow. That kinda pisses me off..
The way once you drive the car off the lot, its your problem, not ours, so... pound salt..

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #31
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:

Anything that GM, its freight hauler, or the dealer do to the vehicle or fail to do, that adversely affect it during the warranty period are their responsibility, not yours. You have only the responsibility to use ordinary care and follow manufacturer guidelines in maintaining your vehicle.

If you park next to a railroad track (or steel mill or chemical factory, etc.), it's your fault if the paint is damaged. However, if this happens during shipping, it is the carrier's responsibility to protect the vehicle, through proper railcar maintenance, brake shielding or car covers, etc. The rail carrier is operating at the direction of and paid by GM. It's GM's problem to get compensation from the negligent carrier, not yours.

Check your local lemon laws. Schedule the appropriate number of appointments until the dealer fixes the problem or until you qualify for lemon-law resolution. Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:12 AM   #32
myblubu

Thanks for the responses!

I called the 800 number for Saturn customer service and explained the situation. Read the information from the Bulletin to the rep, etc. They called the Service department while I was on hold & service department told rep that they advised me to take the car to a specific local detailer & they would take care of the bill! After I told the rep that they offered no such thing, the rep told me to take the car to the detailer and if they charged me anything then keep my receipt and they would reimburse me.

Took the car to the detail shop and its going to cost $140.

Anyone have experience with Saturn Customer Service reimbursements?

I have name, phone number & extension and case number from rep I talked to.

OH - I just got an email for a survey related to my experiece of my last service visit - Oh, how I'm going to enjoy filling this one out!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!