SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default New OnStar service hits brakes on high-speed chases

New OnStar service hits brakes on high-speed chases

Leslie J. Allen
Automotive News
October 9, 2008 - 10:55 am ET

OnStar has a message for car thieves: Not so fast.

The General Motors unit today activated its Stolen Vehicle Slowdown service, which sends a signal that remotely slows down a vehicle that has been reported stolen in the United States or Canada. OnStar says the service should reduce some of the 30,000 high-speed police pursuits in the United States each year.
Subscribe to Automotive News

The technology will be integrated into the OnStar hardware on more than a million 2009 GM vehicles. Stolen Vehicle Slowdown is an enhancement of a vehicle location service that OnStar has offered since 1996.

Here's how it works: A subscriber reports a stolen vehicle to the police and OnStar. An OnStar adviser uses global positioning satellite technology to find the vehicle and provides that location to law enforcement.

Once police officers can see the vehicle and conditions are considered safe, the police can request a slowdown. OnStar then sends a signal to activate the hazard lights to make sure police are following the correct vehicle.

Next, OnStar reduces engine power to take the vehicle to idle speed. Other systems, such as power steering and brakes, still will work. Customers can opt out of the service.

PRESS RELEASE: OnStar Launches Stolen Vehicle Slowdown

New technology will assist public safety officials in OnStar stolen vehicle cases, help save lives

DETROIT General Motors (GM) and OnStar today launched Stolen Vehicle Slowdown on more than 1 million model year 2009 GM vehicles in the U.S. and Canada. Stolen Vehicle Slowdown is the latest enhancement to OnStar's Stolen Vehicle Assistance service and enables OnStar to further help law enforcement in the recovery of subscribers' stolen vehicles, while helping to reduce fatalities and injuries resulting from police chases. Working with law enforcement and utilizing its unique built-in technology, OnStar can remotely send a signal that interacts with the vehicle's engine, gradually slowing it down, aiding in a safe recovery.

"No other automaker provides its' customers the peace of mind that OnStar Stolen Vehicle Slowdown does," said Chet Huber, OnStar president. "Our subscribers have told us they don't want their vehicle to be the instrument of harm."

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration statistics show 30,000 police chases occur each year, resulting in approximately 300 deaths. Stolen Vehicle Slowdown will help take high speed pursuits out of the equation, as well as the probability that a subscriber's stolen vehicle will be crashed during a chase.

"Prior to Stolen Vehicle Slowdown, there were only three ways to stop a police chase; the officer elects to terminate the chase, the vehicle being pursued decides to stop or in the worse case scenario there is a crash," said David Hiller, national vice president, Fraternal Order of Police. "With OnStar Stolen Vehicle Slowdown we now have an additional and obviously far safer method. We congratulate GM and OnStar for working with law enforcement as they developed this product."

GM will integrate the capability on more than 1 million model year 2009 vehicles through OnStar's newest generation of hardware, Generation 8. Chevrolet, GM's largest division, will lead the effort with over half a million Chevrolet vehicles equipped with Stolen Vehicle Slowdown.

How Stolen Vehicle Slowdown Works

Once an OnStar subscriber has reported a stolen vehicle to law enforcement, he or she can call OnStar and request Stolen Vehicle Assistance. An OnStar advisor will use advanced Global Positioning Satellite technology to pinpoint the exact location of the stolen vehicle which will be provided only to law enforcement.

Once law enforcement officials have the stolen vehicle in a clear line of sight to know conditions are safe, they can request that the OnStar advisor remotely slow it down. OnStar will then send a signal to the vehicle's engine, reducing engine power and gradually slowing the vehicle to idle speed while all other vehicle systems remain fully operational including power steering and brakes.

Because involvement from local law enforcement agencies is key to the safe execution of Stolen Vehicle Slowdown, OnStar conducted a 25-city public safety outreach tour across the United States to familiarize the public safety community with this revolutionary service, and let them experience the technology first-hand.

Subscribers who prefer not to have the Stolen Vehicle Slowdown capability on their vehicle may contact OnStar to opt out of the service at any time. The rest of their OnStar services will remain active and unaffected.

OnStar has offered Stolen Vehicle Assistance services with GPS location since 1996. It now receives approximately 700 Stolen Vehicle Assistance requests from subscribers each month, and has helped in 38,000 requests over the past twelve years. OnStar's suite of services also includes Automatic Crash Response, Emergency Services, Remote Door Unlock, Roadside Assistance, Crisis Assist, OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Hands Free Calling and OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics.

OnStar 's Stolen Vehicle Slowdown is available exclusively on GM vehicles in the U.S. and Canada. The service is included in the OnStar subscription that comes standard for one year on eligible MY 2009 OnStar-equipped vehicles. For more information regarding OnStar's services, please visit www.onstar.com.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: New OnStar service hits brakes on high-speed chases

F that. You really want Big Brother to be able to disable your car at will? No thanks. I will NEVER EVER buy a car with Onstar if that is the case. Law enforcement already has the ability to silently track your Onstar equipped vehicle and listen in on the cabin and phone conversations. Just say no.

I've actually gone the extra mile and disabled Onstar on our Vue by disconnecting the antenna.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
F that. You really want Big Brother to be able to disable your car at will? No thanks. I will NEVER EVER buy a car with Onstar if that is the case. Law enforcement already has the ability to silently track your Onstar equipped vehicle and listen in on the cabin and phone conversations. Just say no.

I've actually gone the extra mile and disabled Onstar on our Vue by disconnecting the antenna.

Cheers,
Welcome to the "Tinfoil Hat Club" Ritz.. Sorry, I could not resist, but at least I did not say "I told you so."

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
PortCityShawn
PortCityShawn is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post

Cheers,
FWIW... here's how it works:
  1. You have to authorize with OnStar when you sign up for the subscription that you (A) want the option or (B) don't want the Stolen Car Slowdown Service
  2. Then... you have to report your car stolen to the Authorities & let them know it is so equipped with OnStar
  3. You then have to call OnStar & let them know that the car was stolen (and provide your PIN)
  4. Only then... can the Authorities contact OnStar when they're in "Hot Pursuit" & within a certain distance of the vehicle before OnStar will flip the switch to slow it down

Shawn

Shawn Beaudoin
eBusiness Manager
Saturn of Portsmouth
Portsmouth, NH

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortCityShawn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortCityShawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortCityShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I'm sure if "they " wanted to find someone and what they are doing, it's not hard for "them".

I think it's actually a good idea as far as safety goes and insurance rates go. This way the cops might not have to trash the stolen vehicle getting them to stop.

TWM Short Shifter
Progress springs with Cobalt SS suspension
Vibrant cat-back exhaust system!
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

LONG LIVE THE BEECH 1900D

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
jita1
jita1 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Can I get this retrofitted on my 08 Saturn? It would be a miracle if I could..

2014 Chevy Impala 2LT, 3.6L V6
2008 Saturn Aura XE, 3.5L V6 (Traded in for Impala)
2011 Chevy Cruze 1LT, Gold Mist Metallic (wife's ride)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jita1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jita1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Welcome to the "Tinfoil Hat Club" Ritz.. Sorry, I could not resist, but at least I did not say "I told you so."
Yep, you were right and I was wrong. On your suggestion I looked into it and there have been a number of documented cases of law enforcement spying on Onstar equipped vehicles without even a warrant and Onstar was happy to comply.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

I'd rather them be able to have a higher chance of returning my stolen vehicle to me undamaged than worry about them shutting it down on me for absolutely no reason. Because they won't. They won't be wasting time and and manpower if you aren't doing something illegal.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
dongo
dongo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazie View Post
I'd rather them be able to have a higher chance of returning my stolen vehicle to me undamaged than worry about them shutting it down on me for absolutely no reason. Because they won't. They won't be wasting time and and manpower if you aren't doing something illegal.
I agree, if your not doing anything illegal and you can get your car back in one piece, I'm all for it. Think about if you get car jacked with your family in the car- wouldn't anybody want the car to stop a.s.ap?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dongo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dongo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:00 AM   #10
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongo View Post
I agree, if your not doing anything illegal and you can get your car back in one piece, I'm all for it. Think about if you get car jacked with your family in the car- wouldn't anybody want the car to stop a.s.ap?
You agree, eh? Well, I don't. There is just too much potential for abuse and the authorities have shown that they just can't keep their hands out of the cookie jar when it comes to surveillance of citizens.

Ben Franklin said it best:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

If GM ever wants to sell me another vehicle, it will have to offer an OnStar delete option (like they offer to rental fleets).

Best regards,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Old 10-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #11
CaptainMouse64
CaptainMouse64 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Checkered Flag Re: New OnStar service hits brakes on high-speed chases

DAMN!

I guess this means the EMP weapon that is being modified to fit and work on Police cruisers won't be needed now!

- A different kind of company, a different kind of car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CaptainMouse64's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CaptainMouse64 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CaptainMouse64 is offline   Reply With Quote