SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2
Default Need some help... ugh

What are the symptoms of a bad harmonic balancer? Like would it shake a little at idle if its just starting to go bad. Thats the only time I notice it. Its not on my satty, but the chevy... but the symptoms would be more than relatively similar.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2
Default Re: Need some help... ugh

i know as stupid as this sounds, the engine sounds like it is unbalanced, you can feel it rock a little when sitting still. I mean its very minimal even my future wife can't feel it, maybe I'm crazy. I dont have any issues with the car, I just wanted to figure out what it may be

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
gchapell
gchapell has a spectacular aura aboutgchapell has a spectacular aura about

1998 SW2

upper motor mount. Do a search on this forum.
Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gchapell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gchapell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gchapell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

I thought it might be a mount too. but like I said it rocks, but goes with the flow. thanks bro

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

yeah, I'd be looking into motor mounts too, as well as making sure it's not a minor misfire or something causing the engine to run rough.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If its a 350 you check for failed damper by checking the timing mark. If it is not at TDC when the marks think it is then its shot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

I thought about it being a minor miss... but the issue with checking plugs and wire is you have to disconnect the motor mounts and rock the motor forward. I gotta find the time to do it. I'm sure the car could use spark plugs and wires. Ahhh front wheel drive V6. Ive thought about it being a small miss and upper engine mount, which is good that my thoughts and yours are the same (just more professional experience than one person). Sometimes we are so stuck that it is one thing that we can't see other alternatives. Its a 3.1 v6 chevy malibu. Its a nice car but a B**** to work on. Thanks guys I just wanted to see if it may be something else that I don't know anything about... harmonic balancer.... But all the other stuff is things that I've thought of. With Vw to test a broken motor mount is power brake it for a sec, and as soon as you accel it will jerk forward. Tried that, didn't work. I haven't got the tool to rock it forward with out pulling it off the mounts to get plugs and wires. I'm gonna take care of it this weekend, even if it doesn't fix it... atleast I know they've been done. My mom owned the car before me, now she knows her cars (we are a southren family... not rednecks... but we know are shiz) but my stepdad (computer nerd) was driving the car and not taking good care of it... so they gave it to me and my fiance (we are a young couple trying to make it) she's in college on schedule and I haven't started (money ugh...) So.... I dont know when the last time the plugs and what not were changed, and if it is a tiny miss, I'd rather take care of it now then to have a cracked spark plug while driving to work one day

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!