SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
mariee500
mariee500 is on a distinguished road

Default Key won't completely turn off stuck at acc

I went to shut off my car today and the key would not turn past acc. In the manual it says to pop the cover and stick your finger up inside the hole under the steering wheel and push some plunger thing and manually bypass some lock thing. Well I did not feel any plunger thing, I did get allot of goo on my finger, but I hit something obviously because my key turned completely off. Does anyone know if this is a fluke thing or if its a problem that needs to be fixed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mariee500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mariee500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mariee500 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
davesaturn
davesaturn is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Key won't completely turn off stuck at acc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariee500 View Post
I went to shut off my car today and the key would not turn past acc. In the manual it says to pop the cover and stick your finger up inside the hole under the steering wheel and push some plunger thing and manually bypass some lock thing. Well I did not feel any plunger thing, I did get allot of goo on my finger, but I hit something obviously because my key turned completely off. Does anyone know if this is a fluke thing or if its a problem that needs to be fixed?
congratulations: you are the 1 millionth Saturn ION owner to enter the thunderdome with the ignition switch problem of the century. be prepared for the ride of your life. and know, YOU MAY LOSE THIS BATTLE.

if you don't drink, start
if you recently quit counseling, call their 1-900 line to open a new case file
hide the kids
and send the dogs to grandma.
a bumpy ride awaits.

you may shoot someone before this is over.
I hope it isn't you.

I wish I had something else to offer.
my ION2 still doesn't work right.
I use my other car mostly,
when I use my ION, I have to turn if off by pulling some wires under the hood.

I'm glad you're car finally turned off.
if it doesn't in the future, pray that god has mercy on your soul
Rod Serling is in the wings, ready to start the naration of tonights episode:
"Rescue from Saturn"

PS: officially, this problem does not exist.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davesaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davesaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davesaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Mariee, Ion ignition switch and lock cylinder problems are now its most notable gremlin. Mine did the same as yours almost a year ago - I had to have a new cylinder put in. Unlike you, however, I wasn't lucky enough to have the hidden button to push inside the steering column. Manual transmission Ions don't come with the button.

Do a search on this forum and you'll see that for some, even after one switch or cylinder replacement, there's no guarantee the 2nd one won't go bad too.

Lastly, as you probably know, the Ion is no longer in production so finding parts will not get any easier in the future.

4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Not a big deal ... just replace the switch ...

Someone spent to much time in the highschool drama class.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:15 AM   #5
davesaturn

Witness, yet another saturn
driver who believes they can
turn off their car whenever
they choose. A driver about
to be reeducated in...
The Twilight ZoNe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davesaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:51 AM   #6
davesaturn

FWIW - just in case you need it:

This is a re-post from the thread: How to turn off a Saturn
by: davesaturn (the Noble and wise)

Note: object in picture may appear larger than actual size.

I've tried the fuel filter relay in the passenger cab, but it doesn't turn off the engine.

how many schematics did they make for these ION-x experiments? Sheesh!

Note: after unplugging this wire, you will have to go into your trunk and pull the black wire off the battery.
while battery is disconnected, you can reattach wires under the hood.

Turning the car on:

re-attach the black wire to battery
get into car
turn key
put into gear...etc...

and may God have mercy on all of us ION owners.

Even smart people can buy a bad car.
but only an evil manufacturer can make one.

Is "evil manufacturer" a redundancy?

Last edited by davesaturn; 05-05-2008 at 05:58 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
ottmwz_finest
Advanced Member
ottmwz_finest is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn View Post
Not a big deal ... just replace the switch ...

Someone spent to much time in the highschool drama class.

Wow for once I agree with you 100%, but I think you could have done better. And just so you know, I think you have been de-throned as the most annoying poster in these forums...you're slacking

notice my post number...

hundred miles an hour switching lanes like WHOA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ottmwz_finest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ottmwz_finest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ottmwz_finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
tylerkski
tylerkski is on a distinguished road

You need to file a complaint with the National Transportation Safety Board. If enough people do this, they will force Saturn (GM now) to do a recall.

The complaint hotline number is 888-327-4236.

I just stated that it is a safety hazard because I have to pull wires to turn my car off and I risk getting shocked every time.

If you have questions email me tylerkski@gmail.com

Let me know how this goes!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tylerkski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tylerkski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tylerkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
tylerkski
tylerkski is on a distinguished road

You need to file a complaint with the National Transportation Safety Board. If enough people do this, they will force Saturn (GM now) to do a recall.

The complaint hotline number is 888-327-4236.

I just stated that it is a safety hazard because I have to pull wires to turn my car off and I risk getting shocked every time.

If you have questions email me tylerkski@gmail.com

Let me know how this goes!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tylerkski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tylerkski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tylerkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
davesaturn

nobody cares about this problem. Maybe if this was a Toyota, but GM is a US Gov company now The US Gov won't file complains against GM. They can't rake Toyota CEO over the coals on live TV. (shameful)

besides Saturn is gone. Nobody is around to do anything.

Thank goodness that PresBO was around to save us all from absolute chaos.

God blessed America -- the good old days...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

this is not a safety issue, you can still operate the car in a safe manner, so there is no danger while driving. safety recalls do not cover once you stop and park the car unless it's a fuel leak, or something else that may lead to property damage and/or death. not everything wrong with a car is proper for a recall.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
eharper23
eharper23 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: Key won't completely turn off stuck at acc

Love, love, love my usually super reliable 2003 Saturn Ion 1, but I have had minor issues removing the key for about two years. No big problem, as it normally resolved itself within a few minutes. This past weekend, however, after sitting uncranked during the holiday break, I went to start my beloved car only to find my year old battery had (I assumed) died from my neglect. When I went to remove the key, I could only pull it out in the ACC position. Not being bright enough to know the implications of this, I am probably responsible for the battery's final demise. We Googled the online fix for removing the under-steering secret panel to manually release the key, which allowed me to turn the car to off but simultaneously caused every light on my dash to shine brighter than our Christmas tree. After my boyfriend tried unsuccessfully to charge the battery and/or get my car to crank, we had it towed to the closest GM dealership hoping to get it back before the end of the break. After taking two full days just to check my car, the tech decided this morning that rekeying it would solve the problem. Needless to say, it did not.

Now he says my battery and my power steering are shot (neither of which caused trouble before). He says the car is running "REALLY rough" (another new symptom). He replaced two fuses and the spark plugs, but this also didn't help.

The key/ ignition issue seems to be fairly common, and the power steering is an oddity GM and the NHTSA board investigated in later models. Any ideas??? I really miss my Saturn!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eharper23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eharper23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eharper23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Mike89
Mike89 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I am also having a similar problem with my wife's 2004 Saturn Ion. Sometimes when turning off the engine, the key will get stuck in the ACC position. My wife says she waits anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two and she will hear a double click sound and then she can turn the key all the way off and remove it. Never had a problem with not being able to turn off the engine. This problem is very intermittent. Sometimes a month will go by without it happening, sometimes weeks, sometimes days.

I replaced the ignition switch a couple of years ago when I had the "cold start wait 10 minute" thing going on in cold weather. That fixed that issue. A couple of weeks ago (after she told me about this key getting stuck thing) I replaced the ignition lock cylinder. The new (OES) replacement was a lot better cylinder and I thought this problem was solved. Low and behold a couple of days ago she said the problem has returned. Beats me if I can figure out what the hell it is this time.

Anyone know what the " double click" sound she is hearing is and why after hearing it she can turn and remove the key? Is it the ignition switch again?

Last edited by Mike89; 03-29-2013 at 01:32 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mike89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mike89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
L.goins
L.goins is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Idea Re: Key won't completely turn off stuck at acc

I have a problem with all my locks. I am going to try a new key first. I live in the desert, Phoenix, AZ and we have some pretty bad dust storms so the locks could be very dirty. I sprayed some WD 40 in them yesterday, which helped some and made others worse. I didn't think to clean them first, actually I just didn't know how to.

Is it advisable to clean the locks while still mounted? I figure it's worth a shot as long as I am careful to not drip and spray the cleaner in unintended areas. I watched RichPin06a's youtube video and he says to clean the ignition key with throttle body cleaner or connector cleaner. Removing the ignition lock and cleaning it doesn't seem to difficult. So I will remove that one and see if it helps. The doors and trunk I imagine are a PITA. Are they???

It may not be as good as removing the locks, but I am working in a covered parking spot with no garage to work in. I just got this car last week. It's a 2005 Saturn Ion 1, all manual. I have some other problems too, but will post that and my questions in a separate post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L.goins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L.goins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L.goins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
eneloop
eneloop is on a distinguished road

I've lived in PHX AZ for 40 years and have never had a problem with a lock on a car or house.
Is it normal to dig up 5 year old threads?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eneloop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eneloop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eneloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
L.goins

2005 ION-1 Sedan

There were two post on this tread this year (3 counting yours) so I guess it happens. I just got this car last week and the engine compartment was dusty as hell. I don't know if you were hit bad by bad the mile high haboob but in the south east valley we were hit hard, turning day into night. I'm not sure why you posted a reply that offered no useful information. Maybe a future forum user with lock issues will find my query useful.

2005 Saturn Ion 1, everything is manual including the transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help L.goins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
Lyte_Weight87
Lyte_Weight87 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I've experienced the same thing...had to take it to a dealership to get it fixed ignition switch is the problem...caused such a headache till I could save the money to get it fixed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lyte_Weight87's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lyte_Weight87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lyte_Weight87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #18
Mike89
Mike89 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183467

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mike89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mike89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #19
L.goins

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I bought a new key, cleaned out the lock with electronics cleaner and put graphite in it. It's been working good since.

My mother's lock broke as well. She had a locksmith reset the tumblers and got a new key. It works better than ever!

2005 Saturn Ion 1, everything is manual including the transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #20
nichelson18
nichelson18 is on a distinguished road

Lol to the people saying you have to pull wires to save your battery? All you have to do is unhook the black battery cable won't get it off acc but it will save the hassle of messing with the wires and end up screwing your car up. Mines a 2005 Saturn Ion and I've had both problems, the cold start passlock, solved by cutting its wire. Haven't figured this one out just been taking the battery cable off. And also seem someone say that there isnt a 2 door Ion, the Quad Coupe, is consider a 2 door.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nichelson18's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nichelson18 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nichelson18 is offline   Reply With Quote