SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
djreed
djreed is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Default Changes for 2009

Looks like there will be a 4 cyl XR!

All details...
Deletions

(QPE) P215/60R16 touring, blackwall tires
(QAD) P225/50R17 touring, blackwall tires
(QD1) 16" 5-spoke machined alloy wheels
(LZ4) 3.5L Variable Valve Timing V6 engine
(NW9) traction control
(MN5) 4-speed automatic transmission
Exterior color (15U) Golden Cashmere
Exterior color (40U) Cream White
Exterior color (53U) Bronzed Pewter
Exterior color (67U) Silver Pearl
(19B) Black cloth

New Features

(QGG) P215/55R17 touring, blackwall tires are standard on all models but XR V6 Sedan
Exterior paint color (17U) Quick Silver
Exterior paint color (50U) Polar White
Exterior paint color (51U) Gold Mist
Exterior paint color (92U) Silver Moss
(UPF) Bluetooth for phone, personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system is included and only available with (PCM) Preferred Package on XE Sedan and standard on XR Sedans

Changes

ZZV69 is now the XR 4-cylinder model
ZZX69 is the XR V6 model

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djreed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djreed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djreed is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Changes for 2009

Correct, just like mentioned on other forums.

And now the ordering guides are starting to post!

The 3.5L is gone, replaced by the 2.4L totally (good thing, really), the 6-speed is expanded, Bluetooth is available on every trim, the 17" wheels for the Greenline, etc.

No mention yet of any further interior details, etc., but should be updated more in time to come--all good changes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
beach109
Advanced Member

Here they are posted in a cleaner manner:

Aura:
Deletions
(QAD) P225/50R17 touring, blackwall tires
(LZ4) 3.5L Variable Valve Timing V6 engine
(NW9) traction control
(MN5) 4-speed automatic transmission
(19B) Black cloth

New Features
(QGG) P215/55R17 touring, blackwall tires are standard on all models but XR V6 Sedan
(UPF) Bluetooth for phone, personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system is included and only available with (PCM) Preferred Package on XE Sedan and standard on XR Sedans

Changes
ZZV69 is now the XR 4-cylinder model
ZZX69 is the XR V6 model

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...ID=6856&type=0

Aura Greenline:
Deletions

New Features
(UPF) Bluetooth for phone, personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system is included and only available with (PCM) Preferred Package
(QGG) P215/55R17 touring, blackwall tires
(PFG) Wheels 17" (43.2 cm) twin-spoke machined alloy

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...ID=6857&type=0

As talked about before, no more 3.5L and now the 2.4L is standard in both XE and XR trims--and gets the 6-speed on ALL, unlike the Malibu which still uses the 4-speed on some trims. Also, Bluetooth on everything.

Pretty good, especially the XR-4 which a lot of people have been wishing for, and though some may carp about the 3.5L going away...everyone who drives a 2.4L Aura seems to love it, and it will only help with CAFE, etc.

Oh, and they didn't post the Aura color images, but here's the same new colors for the Malibu (still not great representations, but an idea):

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Way to go! While I'm not ready to say sales will take off, offering the XR-4 version of Aura makes perfect sense for those who want the flash of the top-end model in an affordable and fuel-efficient four-cylinder package.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
slv01sc2
slv01sc2 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know about the changes to the G6.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slv01sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slv01sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slv01sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
djreed

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by slv01sc2 View Post
Does anyone know about the changes to the G6.

Pontiac G6

Deletions

Model (2ZF69) G6 1SV Value Leader Sedan
(QC1) 16" (40.6 cm) steel with bolt-on wheel covers
(PCM) GXP Preferred Package
(JF4) Power-adjustable pedals
(VPZ) Regular production accessory, Chrome Appearance Package
Exterior color (40U) Ivory White
Exterior color (67U) Liquid Silver Metallic

New Features

Exterior color (17U) Quicksilver Metallic
Exterior color (50U) Summit White
Exterior color (51U) Gold Mist Metallic
Exterior color (92U) Silver Green Metallic
(PDZ) Sport Package 2, includes (LZ4) 3.5L Variable Valve Timing V6 SFI engine, (PFF) 17" (43.2 cm) painted cast aluminum wheels, (QAD) P225/50R17 touring, blackwall tires, (F83) 3.05 axle ratio, Hydraulic Power Steering (HPS), (T96) front fog lamps and (T43) rear spoiler. (PDZ) is available on 2ZG69 G6 Sedan
(PCN) Sun and Sound Plus Package, includes (UBK) AM/FM stereo with 6-disc CD changer, (CF5) power sunroof and either (PFE) 17" (43.2 cm) Chrome-Tech cast aluminum wheels on GT models or (P79) 18" (45.7 cm) 5-spoke, flangeless Black Chrome-Tech wheels on GXP models. (PCN) is available on GT and GXP Sedan & Coupe models
(MH8) 6-speed automatic transmission, electronically controlled with overdrive, includes Driver Shift Control (included with {PDX} Sport Package 1 on 2ZG69 G6 Sedan)
(QGG) P215/55R17 touring, blackwall tires (standard on G6 Sedan)
(FXK) 2.89 axle ratio (included with [PDX] Sport Package 1 on 2ZG69 G6 Sedan)
(UE0) OnStar, not installed (available for Fleet or Government order types only on G6 Sedan)

Changes

(PDX) Sport Package 1 contains new content. On 2ZG69 G6 Sedan, (PDX) includes (FX3) StabiliTrak, Dynamic Control System, (MH8) 6-speed automatic transmission, (T43) rear spoiler and (FXK) 2.89 axle ratio. On 2ZH67 GT Convertible, (PDX) contains (LZ9) 3.9L Variable Valve Timing V6 SFI engine, exhaust outlets with dual chrome tips, (M15) 4-speed automatic transmission, (FR3) 3.69 axle ratio, (C68) front automatic air conditioning, (QR2) 18" (45.7 cm) 5-spoke, bright Chrome-Tech wheels and (AG1) 6-way power driver seat adjuster
(PCM) Preferred Package, available on 2ZG69 G6 Sedan, contains new content, which now includes (K34) cruise control, (AP8) extended-range remote keyless entry, (AP3) Remote vehicle starter system, (JA7) leather-wrapped brake handle, (VY7) leather-wrapped shift knob, (UK3) steering-wheel mounted audio controls and (N34) leather-wrapped steering wheel
(PCJ) Sun and Sound Package is now only available on 2ZG69 G6 Sedan and now includes (UBK) AM/FM stereo with 6-disc CD changer, (CF5) power sunroof and (DD7) inside rearview auto-dimming mirror with compass display and driver and front passenger visor vanity mirrors (was available on GT & GXP Sedan and Coupe models in 2008)
(PCQ) Premium Package is now available on 2ZG69 G6 Sedan and contains new content. (PCQ) now includes front bucket leather-appointed seats, (AG1) 6-way power driver seat adjuster and (KA1) heated driver and front passenger seats
(U2K) XM Radio is now standard on G6 Sedan (was available in 2008)
(AP3) Remote vehicle starter system is now standard on GT models and GXP Sedan and Coupe models and is included and only available with (PCM) Preferred Package on G6 Sedan
(AP9) Trunk cargo nets is now standard on GT and GXP Sedan and Coupe models and available on G6 Sedan (was available and part of [PCQ] Premium Package on GT models and [PCM] Preferred Package on GXP models and G6 Sedan in 2008)
(DD7) inside rearview auto-dimming mirror with compass display is now included and only available with (PCJ) Sun and Sound Package on G6 Sedan and is now standard on GT Sedan and Coupe models (Replaces manual inside rearview mirror)
(K34) Cruise control is now included and only available with (PCM) Preferred Package on G6 Sedan (was standard in 2008)
(B37) Front and rear carpeted floor mats is now standard on GT and GXP models and available on G6 Sedan (was available and part of [PCQ] Premium Package on GT models and [PCM] Preferred Package on GXP models and G6 Sedan in 2008)
(T43) rear spoiler is now standard on 2ZH69 GT Sedan (was available in 2008)
(PFF) 17" (43.2 cm) painted cast aluminum wheels is now standard on GT Sedan and Coupe models (was available on 2ZG69 G6 Sedan with [PDX] Sport Package in 2008)
(PFE) 17" (43.2 cm) Chrome-Tech cast aluminum wheels is now available and part of (PCN) Sun and Sound Plus Package on GT Sedan and Coupe models (was standard in 2008)
Click on the blue links to change image

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help djreed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

Any word on why traction control is going away? Is the stability control making it obsolete? I have never driven the 2.4, but that's good people like it. My 4-speed transmission seems like it will be a reliable transmission for me I hope and the 3.5L gets me where I need to be in a hurry.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bertillion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bertillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
slv01sc2
slv01sc2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the G6 info. I can't tell if the 2.4 gets the 6-speed auto and
Stabiltrak.

Last edited by slv01sc2; 03-29-2008 at 09:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slv01sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slv01sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slv01sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:58 PM   #9
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

What I want to know is what the heck is a "Human Machine Interface" and how does that change bluetooth as we know it.

Too bad they couldn't find a workaround for the lack of Navigation compatibility.

I like the 6-speed with tapshift on both the 4 and V6, but I'll miss old faithful 3.5/4-speed, so predictable.

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #10
skydrive
skydrive is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY

I had hoped the 4-cyl XR model would be identically equipped to V6 models save for the powertrain. Not quite. You can't get a 4-cyl XR with fog lights, auto climate control or 18" wheels (it will get the machined twin-spoke 17" wheel formerly available on XE models). Why not?!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skydrive's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skydrive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:08 AM   #11
bue05
Advanced Member
bue05 will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

does anyone know why the lz4 3.5l v6 was deleted... is it because the 2.4L moves the vehicle sufficently and it will be easier with one less engine choice?? hmm... or probably gas mileage due to the outrageous gas prices.. I seriously can't wait, tuesday i am going to test drive the aura 4cy.. i have to know what all this rave is about.. bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bue05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bue05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
beach109
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue05 View Post
does anyone know why the lz4 3.5l v6 was deleted... is it because the 2.4L moves the vehicle sufficently and it will be easier with one less engine choice?? hmm... or probably gas mileage due to the outrageous gas prices.. I seriously can't wait, tuesday i am going to test drive the aura 4cy.. i have to know what all this rave is about.. bue05
One, is the whole "pushrod" factor, because while it's still a great engine, few serious import or even now domestic buyers will consider what they perceive as old tech, and gruff sounding--without, really, that great of power levels for the size. Another is fuel mileage, too, because while it's not huge, every bit helps and they need to get as close to the new CAFE requirements as they can and soon. Third, no one else offers 2 different V6's, one "basic" and one "high feature", all just their 4-cyl and then a screamer overhead cam V6--now the Aura will have just that. 6-speed auto ONLY, a 2.4L model that's widespread (such as with the Camry & Accord that sell mostly with a 4), and then a high end V6 option.

I don't work for Saturn, but as many have said for years, the 3.5L is far from a bad powerplant, but with trying to get the conquests from imports with the Aura...more people want a silky, quiet, and efficient 4-cyl in whatever trim they like and a top-tier V6 with great power and refinement as an option if they like. They don't want the budget V6 and it's overall sound and feel or just fine power.

Saying "we have a standard V6" was good for a little bit, but anymore, most buyers would simply prefer the 2 main options like above. And as people and dealers here have seen, if they had already had more 4-cyl Auras...they'd be selling a LOT more in a steady fashion right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #13
beach109
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete93SL1M View Post
What I want to know is what the heck is a "Human Machine Interface" and how does that change bluetooth as we know it.

Too bad they couldn't find a workaround for the lack of Navigation compatibility.

I like the 6-speed with tapshift on both the 4 and V6, but I'll miss old faithful 3.5/4-speed, so predictable.
That's just the Bluetooth...and how it's worded in GM literature for what it does. Again with the Navigation, it's something a few out of thousands ever even want in competitive sedans who offer it, the Aura/Malibu don't support a current GM system, and the Turn-by-Turn is great as is except for the few people who must have a screen.

And yes, the 6-speed across the board is great, but as I said in the post above, the 3.5L was a solid performer...but just not what the Aura needed or should have had to do well. No budget V6, but rather two highly refined and sophisticated 4-cyl and V6 combo's with a 6-speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #14
beach109
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slv01sc2 View Post
Thanks for the G6 info. I can't tell if the 2.4 gets the 6-speed auto and
Stabiltrak.
Stabilitrak is now standard on ALL Aura's, and I don't see traction control specifically spelled out...but it may now just be bundled in the same thing as Stabilitrak.

As for the G6, it comes with the 2.4L standard on base trims, the 3.5L on the next, and then the 3.6L on the GXP. It is just like last year and the ONLY engine to get the 6-speed is the 3.6L. The others continue on with the 4-speed.

Also, on the G6, full traction control is standard on the base and GT, but then can be taken over by the optional Stabilitrak, which is then standard (sans traction control on its own) on the 3.6L GXP.

Basically, aside from package resorting, the G6 is again left to fend just as is largely, at least with mechanics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #15
beach109
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertillion View Post
Any word on why traction control is going away? Is the stability control making it obsolete? I have never driven the 2.4, but that's good people like it. My 4-speed transmission seems like it will be a reliable transmission for me I hope and the 3.5L gets me where I need to be in a hurry.
Correct...when Stabilitrak isn't there, they simply have the classic traction control.

When Stabilitrak is there, it's all one big system and traction control alone is not a stand-alone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #16
ejafus
ejafus is on a distinguished road

Original Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertillion View Post

Response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach109 View Post
Correct...when Stabilitrak isn't there, they simply have the classic traction control.

When Stabilitrak is there, it's all one big system and traction control alone is not a stand-alone.
Just adding to previous comments... the link quoted by the first poster indicates that Stabilitrak is standard on all 3 trims:

FX3 StabiliTrak, Stability Control with traction control

This is good news 'cause I was concerned about this as well.

Last edited by ejafus; 03-30-2008 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: missed a spelling error

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ejafus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ejafus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ejafus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #17
ejafus
ejafus is on a distinguished road

Nice changes here. Looking forward to the 6-speed auto, bluetooth. I'd be interested to see what small refinements they've made as well.

Any ideas as to when the 2009 model will likely be released?

Also,

My only concern is one that I've had about previous incarnations: You still have to buy packages in order to get specific options, according to the 'standard equipment' sheet. For example, I would have to by the Preferred package in order to get the convenience package, which I don't necessarily want all of either. In my case, I'd love to be able to add on just auto-dimming mirrors, heated seats, and bluetooth. I have no use for the preferred package but if I want this car with the above features, I'd have to dish out the extra $1500 or more. If I'm wrong in this let me know... I'd love to be able to get only what I would like/need.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ejafus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ejafus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ejafus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #18
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Attention Re: Changes for 2009

Nice changes, but it's too bad Saturn doesn't offer a basic black exterior color. And what of the Aura's alleged redesigned interior?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #19
bue05
Advanced Member
bue05 will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

Beach109, thanks for the good info! That makes alot of sense, i agree with it too.. I feel that way i guess when buying a car. I am glad i got the v6 at this time, because the 4cyl were not yet on the lot, but coming.. i didn't realize how refined and well balanced they were! Like i said we are shopping ahead of time now for our 2005 vue replacement due to wife being pregnant and due at end of july, i don't want to try and do this once baby is here or almost here if you know what i mean. I look forward to if the price is right getting either another aura 4cyl or vue... question is the 4cyl exactly the same in vue as aura??? thx bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bue05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bue05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #20
djreed

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejafus View Post
Any ideas as to when the 2009 model will likely be released?
Jun-16-2008 is 2009 Aura production start

REWARD EXCELLENCE!