SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
Outlook-Tx
Outlook-Tx is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default '07 Outlook - engine surging in morning

We have an 07 outlook XR. It has about 12,500 miles. In the last 4 months, it has begun having an issue where the engine surges or races for about 10 seconds most mornings when we first start it up. I have taken it to the dealer repeatedly on this. They have tried to adjust various programming on the engine (CAM settings, etc) and have installed all of the service programming changes from the Mfg - but they can not duplicate the problem or fix it. In case it matters - we park it in an enclosed garage overnight.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how was it resolved?

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Outlook-Tx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Outlook-Tx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Outlook-Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: '07 Outlook - engine surging in morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlook-Tx View Post
We have an 07 outlook XR. It has about 12,500 miles. In the last 4 months, it has begun having an issue where the engine surges or races for about 10 seconds most mornings when we first start it up. I have taken it to the dealer repeatedly on this. They have tried to adjust various programming on the engine (CAM settings, etc) and have installed all of the service programming changes from the Mfg - but they can not duplicate the problem or fix it. In case it matters - we park it in an enclosed garage overnight.

Thanks!
Explain what "surges or races" means. Is the RPM higher than normal? Does it alternate between high/low? What did it start up like before? If available, record it on a video camera or digicam and show them what a normal startup is like compared to the "surging" one.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
logbite
logbite is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:

Thanks!
Ours does the same, but I don't think of it as a problem to be resolved - it reminds me of the old carburetor motors that needed to rev for a bit to warm up to an appropriate temperature. It lasts, as you say, about 10 seconds, then "calms down" to a normal running speed. I would not worry!

Outlook XR FWD, charcoal, black leather,
premium seating,
premium plus seating
Dual sunroof,towing package,
cold weather package

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to logbite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help logbite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
logbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
compnurd09
compnurd09 is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

has it been colder lately near you? Just sounds like it is trying to warm up faster

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to compnurd09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help compnurd09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
compnurd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
Outlook-Tx
Outlook-Tx is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Thanks for the comments. We live in Texas - so overnight temps are in 70's to 80's. It did not do this when we first bought it in January when it was colder, which is why I brought it up to the dealership. Only started doing it in May, at about 6000 miles on odometer.

I appreciate the idea of video recording it - I will do that in order to help explain to them what is happening. My sound re-creations to them aren't cutting it.

Basically, it is small, short bursty revs of the engine. Less than a second for each one, total duration of the surging is about 5-10 seconds. It does then settle down and acts appropriately the rest of the day.

Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Outlook-Tx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Outlook-Tx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Outlook-Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
ed nunez
ed nunez is on a distinguished road

Same here, out in the West Texas town of El Paso. Dealer says its a normal thing.

Ed Nunez
2007 Outlook XR FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ed nunez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ed nunez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ed nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
N9GUX
N9GUX is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I have had the same issue here in Abilene, TX....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to N9GUX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help N9GUX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
N9GUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Must be a Texas thing. I'm in Pennsylvania and have never experienced this "surging" thing, and I have 13,600 miles.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
N9GUX
N9GUX is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Although mine is primarily in Texas the first time I noticed the surge was in Louisiana. It is interesting that only "Texas Outlooks" seem to have this "issue".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to N9GUX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help N9GUX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
N9GUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #10
compnurd09
compnurd09 is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9GUX View Post
Although mine is primarily in Texas the first time I noticed the surge was in Louisiana. It is interesting that only "Texas Outlooks" seem to have this "issue".
are the emissions tuned differently in texas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to compnurd09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help compnurd09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
compnurd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:20 PM   #11
Antique
Antique is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks!

If you can leave it with the dealer over night so they can see how the vehicle performs on a moring start up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Antique's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Antique reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Antique is offline   Reply With Quote