SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
Alex_SC2
Alex_SC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Factory alarm troubles

I seem to be experiencing some difficulties with the OEM alarm in my 2002 SC2. It seems more and more lately, after I arm it, it will go off after about 20-60 seconds. I don't know why. None of the doors/trunk are open. Does this thing have a shock sensor or a hood switch? Does anyone have a wiring diagram or troubleshooting guide?

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.

2002 SC2 - 80,000km so far...
1989 Suzuki Katana 750 - Cheap thrills!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Alex_SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Alex_SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Alex_SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
Alex_SC2

2002 SC2
Default Re: Factory alarm troubles

Anyone?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Alex_SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Are you seeing any other symptoms. For instance, is the dome light coming on? You might have a flakey door switch.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
Alex_SC2

2002 SC2

Actually I hadn't noticed anything before because the problem was so random and intermittent, but tonight one of my neighbors knocked on my door and told me my alarm had been going off for the last hour and a half. I live on the third floor, so I can't hear when it happens. I went downstairs and the dome light was on, security light was not blinking, and when I hit lock on the remote, it gave me the three quick chirps to tell me my door was open.

The alarm was still ready to arm, so I opened the driver's door with the key and nothing happened. I pushed the pin for the door switch and the security light started blinking again, meaning it thought the door was closed finally.

I'm going to pull the switch apart, clean it, test it and the whole works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
Alex_SC2

2002 SC2

Alright... I've replaced the driver's side door switch with a new one... no change.

Can anyone help me out? I'm desprate now and my neighbours are getting pissed off. I can't figure it out, and I won't deal with Saturn. I don't want to have to sell the car, but I've gotten rid of cars for less before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

I can look up wiring diagrams when I get home.

You'd really sell the car over this? I'd just deactive it and put a real alarm in it. A factory security system is just an over glorified keyless entry system.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I can look up wiring diagrams when I get home.

You'd really sell the car over this? I'd just deactive it and put a real alarm in it. A factory security system is just an over glorified keyless entry system.

I agree to an extent, but don't Saturns factory security system's disable the starter as well? At least on my '97 SC2 it did. I also recall that if you unlocked the door with the key while the alarm was armed it would still go off. I actually discovered that by accident when I owned that car. The 2000 SC2 I currently have has a remote starter installed so the factory security system doesn't work.

I would make sure your ignition lock is locking (pops out) after you pull out the key.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 150K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
Alex_SC2

2002 SC2

Hey Mike, I wouldn't actually sell the car... I'm just exaggerating because I'm frustrated with it.

First thing I'm going to do is bring it to my old work and have them scan the BCM for any stored codes. If that fails I would sure like to deactivate it, but is that even possible to do on the 2000+ models with the RKE functions built into the BCM?

I didn't modify anything yet BTW contrary to our discussion in another thread in the past few days. I want to fix this problem which I thought was fixed already.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2007, 01:43 PM   #9
Serpent
Serpent is on a distinguished road

The alarm going off randomly was the beginning of bigger problems I have had with my 2003 Vue. I disabled the Alarm using my Key FOB and crippled the computer by doing so. Don't try this at home! I am still trying to figure out what exactly is my problem, however in the meantime does anyone know if the wiring Harness's are covered under power Train warranty?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Serpent's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Serpent reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_SC2 View Post
Hey Mike, I wouldn't actually sell the car... I'm just exaggerating because I'm frustrated with it.

First thing I'm going to do is bring it to my old work and have them scan the BCM for any stored codes. If that fails I would sure like to deactivate it, but is that even possible to do on the 2000+ models with the RKE functions built into the BCM?

I didn't modify anything yet BTW contrary to our discussion in another thread in the past few days. I want to fix this problem which I thought was fixed already.
YES. On the 00' and UP models, the alarm CAN be deactivated but ONLY with a Tech2 scantool. (Dealer item) For the time being, why not just pull the plug on the horn? (Free)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #11
Alex_SC2

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
YES. On the 00' and UP models, the alarm CAN be deactivated but ONLY with a Tech2 scantool. (Dealer item) For the time being, why not just pull the plug on the horn? (Free)
Well that's good to know I can deactivate the security function...

As for pulling the plug on the horn, it will still kill my battery by flashing the lights all night. Plus, then I won't have a horn... Maybe I'll just deactivate it and install an aftermarket alarm system like Mike suggested...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 AM   #12
Alex_SC2

2002 SC2

Sorry to revive the dead thread, but I thought I would offer some closure to the topic. I ended up having to replace the passenger door switch. I never would have figured both door switches would go bad within a few weeks of each other!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
Oblivious
Oblivious is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1

I'm having a similar issue. Though my alarm kicks on minutes or hours after locking car, randomly. Seems to be a wonky driver's door switch. I've seen my light flicker with all doors closed, and messing with the switch, sometimes it works perfect, sometimes not at all (stuck open, light won't turn off).

Been happening 2 days on my 98 SL1. At 430am the first time.

Until I grab a switch, can I bypass the alarm somehow or jump the switch leads? I suppose I could unplug the horn & turn off interior light as this alarm doesn't seem to flash any lights, but does it kill my starter? Nothing to worry about if I open it with the FOB though?.

'98 SL1 (156k)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oblivious's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oblivious reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #14
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Are you in such a bad neighborhood you can't just lock the doors by hand for a day or two till you can get the switch replaced?

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote