SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
turbobuick33
Advanced Member
turbobuick33 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default Could a high idle be caused by the EGR valve sticking?

I always have a high idle when I first start my car in the morning. The idle climbs up to about 2 to 3 grand. Once the engine warms up the idle is normal. If I go somewhere and I start my car the idle is high again but once the engine warms up to normal temp the idle is normal..I have already replaced the IAC and I cleaned up the EGR valve..I check the vacuum lines and found no leaks..Could the EGR valve be sticking causing the high idle when I first start my car?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turbobuick33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turbobuick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Could a high idle be caused by the EGR valve sticking?

Technically the EGR valve's sole purpose is to allow exhaust gas into the intake manifold above idle speed for emissions purposes. If it were to stick open during idling the exhaust gases will reduce idling, cause rough engine running, and cause stalling tendencies. The opposite of your symptoms so it would be safe to assume that the EGR valve is not the cause of higher engine idling than normal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

What would cause my car to idle high after the car sits? but then the idle goes back to normal after the car reaches normal temp..Vacuum leak?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2007, 11:48 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What's the idle speed after the engine is warmed-up? Did you or someone alter the throttle idle stop screw? Have you checked for any vacuum leaks from a loose intake manifold gasket, throttle body gasket, or anyplace else that may be allowing air when engine parts are cold then seals the air leak opening from heat expansion?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:57 AM   #5
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
What's the idle speed after the engine is warmed-up? Did you or someone alter the throttle idle stop screw? Have you checked for any vacuum leaks from a loose intake manifold gasket, throttle body gasket, or anyplace else that may be allowing air when engine parts are cold then seals the air leak opening from heat expansion?
After the engine is warmed up the idle speed is normal just about 1000 rpm..I never touched the throttle stop screw..The engine idles good when its warm but if the car sits and engine is cold the idle is high about 2.5 to 3 grand and stays up there..I checked for vacuum leaks around the manifold and TB and haven't found any at all

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2007, 05:21 AM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think 1,000 rpm is the correct idle but lower like 800-900 rpm. At the risk of being flamed has anyone asked if you checked for the brass coolant sensor replacement? If its been done then we can continue with finding out about your higher than normal cold start idling. The typical cold start idle is supposed to be no higher than 1200-1500 rpm. You may have a sticking/dirty idle air control valve (IACV), sticking linkages, dirty throttle body, etc.. There's more idle speed than necessary for warm-up in your case and not good for running so high when the engine needs oil lubrication right at the beginning.

If all the abovementioned have been cleaned then there may be a need to reset the initial idle speed stop screw with the IACV removed and the bypass port blocked. The initial idle speed should be around 500-600 rpm then the IACV put back on and connected. The ECM/PCM will adjust for a new idle speed to 800-900 rpm. So the IACV must be in good working order for the mechanical adjustments to apply correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think 1,000 rpm is the correct idle but lower like 800-900 rpm. At the risk of being flamed has anyone asked if you checked for the brass coolant sensor replacement? If its been done then we can continue with finding out about your higher than normal cold start idling. The typical cold start idle is supposed to be no higher than 1200-1500 rpm. You may have a sticking/dirty idle air control valve (IACV), sticking linkages, dirty throttle body, etc.. There's more idle speed than necessary for warm-up in your case and not good for running so high when the engine needs oil lubrication right at the beginning.

If all the abovementioned have been cleaned then there may be a need to reset the initial idle speed stop screw with the IACV removed and the bypass port blocked. The initial idle speed should be around 500-600 rpm then the IACV put back on and connected. The ECM/PCM will adjust for a new idle speed to 800-900 rpm. So the IACV must be in good working order for the mechanical adjustments to apply correctly.
Pretty close...curb idle (at normal operating temp) is 800~850 rpm. See underhood sticker

The IAC DOES NOT need to removed to set the initial idle speed, its electrical connector merely needs to be unplugged.

ECTS and connector MUST be sound
NO SET SES LIGHT CODES can bne present
IAC MUST be healthy and its passage CLEAN
Car MUST be at normal operating temperature
IAC valve MUST be unplugged from its electrical connector
IAC port in throttle body thoat MUST be sealed (a latex gloved finger will wok in the horizontally mounted throttle body.
'
With ALL of the above true. Idle speed should be ~550 rpm. (Adjust throttle stop screw as necessary)

Once you have achieved the desired idle. SHUT THE CAR OFF. Reconnect the IAC electrical connector and unplug the port (if anything other than a gloved finger was used to plug it) Then restart the car. The PCM should adjust the idle back to the correct ~850 rpm within a few seconds.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

I notice I don't get this high idle everyday..This morning I fired up the car and the idle was normal didn't climb up at all..But yesterday when I fired it up the idle climb up to 2 grand..My IAC is clean and new..I replaced it about 5 months ago but I never did reset the idle..Maybe it needs to be reseted? Whats the bypass port blocked? WHere exactly is this bypass port at?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

Last edited by turbobuick33; 04-06-2007 at 12:35 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The IACV operates using the bypass air port to fine tune the idle speed. The IACV is directly over the bypass port. The normal air intake is through the main opening of the throttle body while the bypass port is on the side of the throttle body covered by the idle air control valve (IACV) that controls the idle speed when the throttle is closed.

Make sure all electrical connectors are clean and not corroded or oxidized from age. Electrical contact cleaner may help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

I know where the IACV is at..I am trying find the port..How big is this port?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Attached Images
File Type: jpg throttle body port.jpg (50.9 KB, 88 views)

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #12
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Thanks for the pic..If I was going to block this port off so I can set the idle. How do I block this port, when the intake hose is in the way? I assume when doing this that the intake hose has to be connected to the throttle body..Or do I leave the intake hose disconnected from the throttle body when setting the idle?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #13
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick33 View Post
..Or do I leave the intake hose disconnected from the throttle body when setting the idle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:15 PM   #14
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

My car would idle high while stopped or in park and my problem was the TPS (throttle position sensor)....of course, there are other things that can cause it. I believe a bad ECTS can cause it.....and if that hasn't been replaced, it needs to be anyways, because they cause ALOT of problems. A bad ECTS on a Saturn is like giving a Saturn crack.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #15
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnManiac View Post
My car would idle high while stopped or in park and my problem was the TPS (throttle position sensor)....of course, there are other things that can cause it. I believe a bad ECTS can cause it.....and if that hasn't been replaced, it needs to be anyways, because they cause ALOT of problems. A bad ECTS on a Saturn is like giving a Saturn crack.
When I first my bought my saturn 2 years ago, I first replaced the coolant temp sensor with the brass tip..I haven't replaced the TPS sensor yet and not sure if thats my problem with my high idle when my car sits..I know you can check voltage on the sensor or lightly tap it to see if the idle changes, but I tried tapping it before and the idle didn't change at all. Is there any other tests to check if the TPS is good or not?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #16
richpin06

1998 SL2

A test you can do to diagnose a bad TPS is.The next time you idle is high turn off the engine and restart it.If your idle returns to normal that's a good sign you have a bad TPS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #17
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpin06 View Post
A test you can do to diagnose a bad TPS is.The next time you idle is high turn off the engine and restart it.If your idle returns to normal that's a good sign you have a bad TPS.
Yup, that's exactly what led me to believe mine was bad. Sometimes the other tests don't always work....but if it resets after the car has been reset (turned off then back on), it shows it's something electrical and not mechanical.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #18
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Maybe its time for a new TPS, mine is orginal and it has 244,000 miles on it. Whats a good brand TPS to get?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!