SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
Gwenzilla
Gwenzilla is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.5L
Devil Service call from H..E..double hockey sticks

I was riding the fence on whether to take Lambchop (my Outlook) in for Recall service or wait until my first service date. On some good advice I decided to call the Saturn recall info number and check on Lambchop's recall status. Having called the number the nice lady informed me that yes Lambchop was on the list and that she would call my local dealer (MLD) to inform them. She had me hold on while she did this and then came back an confrenced my call to MLD and I scheduled a 6:30 am appointment to drop it off the following morning.

Next morning I go to MLD and he preps the work order and asks me how Lambchop is running, so I told him about my exterior temp gauge sticking occasionally, and about the "sluggish" nature of Lambchops tranny, and gave the guy the notes I gleaned on which numbers to use to look up the TCM reflash. So off I go to do stuff on the promise that they'd get right on it.

Having taken over 4 hours to "get right on it" I get a call at 11:15 that Lambchop is ready and "BTW we cant find any problem with the tranny". He invites me to take their mechanic on a drive to show him. I mentioned that since there are no hills near the shop that it would be hard to experience the "worst case senario" and that if they can't feel it just during regular driving then whats the use of me driving the guy.

Shortening the story up a bit... I take him... no hills... he says he cant feel it.... back to the shop we go... get paperwork Grrrrrrr... and stop by the the parts counter to get floor mats. I have priced them on line ahead of time (luckily). So I look them over and ask the parts guy the price. Woww!! the prices are way over the online price (together front and cargo is over $55 more than online price. I balked and said I'd have to check in with my financial advisor first. As I'm turning the guy says .."wait.. did you buy your car from us?... (DUH!) when I said yes he says he'll talk to someone to see if he can get a discount...magically the price is now the same as the online price. Inside I'm steaming at this attempt to take advantage of me. I never mentioned the online price just to see how trustworthy they are. (failed test).
(I know this is exceedingly long, but its good therapy for me..... and its not over....) I go home and look at my paperwork and what do I see??? nothing but "looked at gauge/working...looked at tranny/working..." not one word about the recall items!!! I call service to see whats up. First he says I never told them about the recall, and when I told him to check on the fact that corporate recall line had brokered this service call, then its "well it doesn't matter cause we checked your VIN and It was not on any recall list". (a lie as you'll soon see). I told them that Saturn recall said I did have a recall, he then tells me I need something in writing from them cause he shows no recall on Lambchop.
(Sorry but more...) I call back Saturn recall line and tell them I need to know what recalls, how many recalls, and that MLD needs the answer in writing! They check and apoligize for the dealer.. then tell me Lambchop IS on the list for four (4) recalls!! They said they'd call MLD and get it straightened out.
(OK heres the end...) I get a sniveling apology call from MLD... "its all a big misunderstanding I did this computer thing when I should have done that computer thing" he basically says. "Please bring it back in and we'll fix you up".
Offered me a rental car (BFD) and we'll have coffee and donuts (BFD squared). Its been such a bad day I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or go postal!

Thanks for letting me vent.

BTW the four (4) recalls I was told Lambchop was on the list for were:
Air bag thingee
Liftgate switch
TCM calibration for tranny (yes on recall status now)
and water intrusion at vent

Saturn family stable:
- 2007 Outlook - AKA "Lambchop"
- 2003 Vue
- 2006 Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gwenzilla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gwenzilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gwenzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
MrBiz
MrBiz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Service call from H..E..double hockey sticks

Gwenzilla, wow! I can't imagine how you felt dealing with that inept dealership. I'm curious who you spoke with. Was it the Service Advisor or the Service Manager? For them to say you have to prove to them that you have a safety recall on your vehicle is just plain rediculous.

Biz

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD
2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrBiz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrBiz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:29 AM   #3
Boltbacker
Boltbacker is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenzilla View Post
I was riding the fence on whether to take Lambchop (my Outlook) in for Recall service or wait until my first service date. On some good advice I decided to call the Saturn recall info number and check on Lambchop's recall status. Having called the number the nice lady informed me that yes Lambchop was on the list and that she would call my local dealer (MLD) to inform them. She had me hold on while she did this and then came back an confrenced my call to MLD and I scheduled a 6:30 am appointment to drop it off the following morning.

Next morning I go to MLD and he preps the work order and asks me how Lambchop is running, so I told him about my exterior temp gauge sticking occasionally, and about the "sluggish" nature of Lambchops tranny, and gave the guy the notes I gleaned on which numbers to use to look up the TCM reflash. So off I go to do stuff on the promise that they'd get right on it.

Having taken over 4 hours to "get right on it" I get a call at 11:15 that Lambchop is ready and "BTW we cant find any problem with the tranny". He invites me to take their mechanic on a drive to show him. I mentioned that since there are no hills near the shop that it would be hard to experience the "worst case senario" and that if they can't feel it just during regular driving then whats the use of me driving the guy.

Shortening the story up a bit... I take him... no hills... he says he cant feel it.... back to the shop we go... get paperwork Grrrrrrr... and stop by the the parts counter to get floor mats. I have priced them on line ahead of time (luckily). So I look them over and ask the parts guy the price. Woww!! the prices are way over the online price (together front and cargo is over $55 more than online price. I balked and said I'd have to check in with my financial advisor first. As I'm turning the guy says .."wait.. did you buy your car from us?... (DUH!) when I said yes he says he'll talk to someone to see if he can get a discount...magically the price is now the same as the online price. Inside I'm steaming at this attempt to take advantage of me. I never mentioned the online price just to see how trustworthy they are. (failed test).
(I know this is exceedingly long, but its good therapy for me..... and its not over....) I go home and look at my paperwork and what do I see??? nothing but "looked at gauge/working...looked at tranny/working..." not one word about the recall items!!! I call service to see whats up. First he says I never told them about the recall, and when I told him to check on the fact that corporate recall line had brokered this service call, then its "well it doesn't matter cause we checked your VIN and It was not on any recall list". (a lie as you'll soon see). I told them that Saturn recall said I did have a recall, he then tells me I need something in writing from them cause he shows no recall on Lambchop.
(Sorry but more...) I call back Saturn recall line and tell them I need to know what recalls, how many recalls, and that MLD needs the answer in writing! They check and apoligize for the dealer.. then tell me Lambchop IS on the list for four (4) recalls!! They said they'd call MLD and get it straightened out.
(OK heres the end...) I get a sniveling apology call from MLD... "its all a big misunderstanding I did this computer thing when I should have done that computer thing" he basically says. "Please bring it back in and we'll fix you up".
Offered me a rental car (BFD) and we'll have coffee and donuts (BFD squared). Its been such a bad day I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or go postal!

Thanks for letting me vent.

BTW the four (4) recalls I was told Lambchop was on the list for were:
Air bag thingee
Liftgate switch
TCM calibration for tranny (yes on recall status now)
and water intrusion at vent
I would call and talk to the Service Mgr. and ask him or her why you were lied to. The dealership has the exact information that the Recall line has. If you have another Saturn Dealership around you I would suggest trying them out. The airbag recall and transmission update shouldn't have taken more than 1 1/2 hrs at the most. All they do is plug in the Tech 2 unit and reflash the computer.

Danger: High Voltage!!!
07' XR FWD Ocean Mist, Grey Leather, everything else but Nav. Added 3M clear bra, tinted front windows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Boltbacker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Boltbacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Boltbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:32 AM   #4
Gwenzilla

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiz View Post
Gwenzilla, wow! I can't imagine how you felt dealing with that inept dealership. I'm curious who you spoke with. Was it the Service Advisor or the Service Manager? For them to say you have to prove to them that you have a safety recall on your vehicle is just plain rediculous.
Well to put it succinctly (not wanting to vent again) I felt extremely disappointed, and lost all trust in Saturn's "superior service" mantra..... especially at the local level. I'd take my business to another dealer but the only three I know in this area are too many miles away to be convenient. I do know that these guys are going to have a much more difficult time if they try to shine me on next time.
I have to put up with them again this Saturday, so I will see how that goes. I may end up trying another dealer, but who knows if that will be any better.

I don't know what his title was, but he was the top dog at the service desk. I know corporate talked to someone over him when I relayed the experience and demands for "something in writing".

Saturn family stable:
- 2003 Vue
- 2006 Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Gwenzilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2007, 05:41 AM   #5
4time saturn fa
4time saturn fa is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

Gwenzilla,

i got a question and i hope its not to personal, but are you a woman??....I'd like for you to give me a call, (if you wish) cause i have some advice and a similar story; but if you dont....YOU STICK TO YOUR GUNS!!!....

look, i know you had a bad experience, but as a whole; i still believe that service is what sets saturn apart--i say this because i have had other vehicles services---GM vehicles!....and as a whole i dont have to haggle with satrn as i have with my chevy!....please call me at 440-320-5522

Andrew!

2007XR outlook--FULLY loaded
2003 vue 3.0L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 4time saturn fa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 4time saturn fa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
4time saturn fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
morpheus2969
morpheus2969 is on a distinguished road

Gwenzilla:

There is no excuse for that dealership. I have some idea of what you are going through. I had to twist my service advisor's arm to get the TCM upgrade before it turned into a recall. After I told them about the service bulletin and the problem I was having, they told me they drove the car and it was operating the way it was supposed to and only fixed the airbag problem. I had to call them back (following advise from this forum) and tell them that the car's performance was unsatisfactory and I wanted the upgrade. I wonder if part of the problem is that this vehicle is new and many of the technicians either don't have training or the information flow isn't there yet. The first time my service advisor did a search for the TCM upgrade, even with the information I gave him, he couldn't find it. Since this incident, things seem to be a little better with them. They alerted me to the additional recalls at the time they were doing the TCM upgrade (I wasn't aware of them before hand). I'm hoping that things get better for all of us (from a vehicle service perspective) real soon.

"I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream is gone from me." - The Matrix Reloaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to morpheus2969's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help morpheus2969 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
morpheus2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
ed nunez
ed nunez is on a distinguished road

My experience with my Saturn dealer has been pretty positive to date. I am having problems getting the airbag controller and TCM reprogramming done but not because they don't want to. They've been telling me for two weeks that their Tech2 - the computer used to connect to the vehicle and reprogram the controllers - is having 'problems' and they're working on it. The latest is that it should be fixed today and I can bring my vehicle in tomorrow for reprogramming.

I'm having a bit of a problem getting them to diagnose a metallic knocking sound coming from the front end we get on occasion after backing up or turning from a parked position. I have been to the dealer three times and have not been able to reproduce it there, but it happens a few times a week regardless of who drives the vehicle. If I go to the dealer this Sat. we'll go through the process again to see if we can get it to show itself again.

This is our second Saturn vehicle and the positive experience we had with our previous Saturn was a huge factor in our purchase. We never had issues getting the correct service and correct answers from the dealer, even when it was just my wife taking the car in (which was the majority of the time) for a complaint. One time they even waited for her to get there after closing to diagnose our ION and fix it right then and there.

My experiences with dealers - not just Saturn - is that they can vary greatly from month to month, even week to week or daily. It seems to me that there is a pretty frequent turnover in the employees - technicians, service advisers, managers, etc. - and this leads a great variability in the quality of service received. I've seen this from all makes, from the lowest cost to the most expensive brands - the Mercedes Benz dealer in my town is notorious for crummy customer service yet the Toyota franchise operated by the same dealer gets high marks all the time. The key I think is to make sure that the management, all the way up to the owner, knows when a customer is unhappy and has been treated in an unacceptable manner. While word of mouth from happy customers is their best advertising and happy customer spread the word, unhappy customers spread the word even faster and further so it is in their best interest to keep customers happy. Don't let them treat you badly. If you think you have been done wrong take it up the ladder until you get to someone who takes an interest in making sure you are treated fairly. That is the person who realizes where their paycheck comes from

Ed Nunez
2007 Outlook XR FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ed nunez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ed nunez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ed nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:39 PM   #8
Outlook IL
Outlook IL is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

Gwenzilla,

What a crappy experience!!!

Mine is going in Monday for the first oil change and the wife was on the phone calling in the appointment. As I was sitting in the drivers seat, I told her to remind them that there are recalls to address as well. The female on the other end, initially told her there were NO RECALLS!! Not a good start either, but I then started rattling off the recalls (Thanks to this forum ) then all a sudden "Oh, I just checked on another computer and now I see them!!) I am going to arm my wife with all the listed bulletins and recalls (thanks everyone!!) so there is NO question of what needs to be done.
Other things to be checked:
1) remote start - ac/heat doesn't come on during remote start?
2) lift gate fit - the left side of the gate is leaving a scuff mark on the bumper.
3) gas mileage - last tank city/hwy 17 MPG!!??

You got me a little nervous about this first service, I'll know (hopefully) monday night!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Outlook IL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Outlook IL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Outlook IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:43 PM   #9
rjbhunt
rjbhunt is on a distinguished road

Gwenzilla,

Don't judge all Saturn dealer by your experience. My wife took her Outlook in for the airbag recall, it was the only one we had been notified of. While at the dealer they performed the tranny recalibration, the memory seat tsb and fixed a sqeak in the rear hatch. They did all of this without being asked. They even provided her with a loaner for the day. This is our first Saturn and it was by far the best service we have received from any dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rjbhunt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rjbhunt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rjbhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
Outlook IL
Outlook IL is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

Well, we must of caught the jinx!

Wife called this Saturday and the service lady said bring it in "Monday" and we we'll have a loaner. My wife gets the daughter ready on Monday, straps her in and gets to the Saturn dealer in 30 minutes. While checking in, the service lady said "Oh, I meant next Monday!"
Needless to say, they sent my wife off without any service, including not fixing the airbag recall, instead of working her into their schedule. It is hard to believe with the recall with the airbag, they would let her leave (liability speaking.) The wife left very upset, and was rescheduled to come back in later in the week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Outlook IL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Outlook IL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Outlook IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
Gwenzilla

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.5L
Wrench Re: Service call from H..E..double hockey sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlook IL View Post
It is hard to believe with the recall with the airbag, they would let her leave (liability speaking.)
Well I did finally get Lambchop in for service this Saturday and was intent on measuring the sincerity of apoligies I was anticipating getting from the service guy. To his credit he did apologize (not sincerely enough in my book, but I may not be judging this too leniently as I was grinding axes in my mind). They reprogrammed the tranny module thing and the air bag problem too. The other two items (air vent leak and liftgate switch) they have to reschedule as they say they had to order parts.
The transmission feels peppy but the test of how well it does in cruise control (where the problem was most notable) will happen tonight on my drive home from work.
Outlook IL, I believe I heard that the malfunction with the air bag only happened in a case where somebody got hit in the rear end at a certain speed which caused the computer to set to malfunction the next time it got in a frontal accident (or something close to that story) I can't remember where I saw that but I think that was the basic story. So hopefully your family wasn't at too high of a risk. Of course I was worried anyway, so I know how feel!
Hopefully your dealer will make things right for you at the next service. I myself am ready to jump to another dealership if I get treated badly again, no matter how far I have to drive to get to it.

Saturn family stable:
- 2003 Vue
- 2006 Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #12
lzwhb2
lzwhb2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The transmission feels peppy but the test of how well it does in cruise control (where the problem was most notable) will happen tonight on my drive home from work.
I'm anxious to hear how the drive home goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lzwhb2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lzwhb2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lzwhb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #13
Gwenzilla

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.5L
Thumbs Up Re: Service call from H..E..double hockey sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzwhb2 View Post
I'm anxious to hear how the drive home goes.
I have to say that Lambchops performance is remarkably improved while travelling in cruise control after this tranny fix. Lambchop handled the transitions from downhill to uphill (and vice-versa) much better, not as smooth as our Suburban does, but that has bigger motor which I guess helps.
I am impressed none the less with the new performance and am glad Saturn was able to improve this with such an easy fix.

I hope it doesn't effect the gas mileage though.

Saturn family stable:
- 2003 Vue
- 2006 Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #14
lzwhb2
lzwhb2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have to say that Lambchops performance is remarkably improved while travelling in cruise control after this tranny fix. Lambchop handled the transitions from downhill to uphill (and vice-versa) much better, not as smooth as our Suburban does, but that has bigger motor which I guess helps.
I am impressed none the less with the new performance and am glad Saturn was able to improve this with such an easy fix.

I hope it doesn't effect the gas mileage though.
That's nice to hear that it took care of your issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lzwhb2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lzwhb2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lzwhb2 is offline   Reply With Quote