SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Default Gas Smell

Question for you guys, whenever my Outlook's gas tank is full or close to full (3/4s or higher) AND I have the heater on, I get a whiff of gasoline flowing into the car through the heat vents. It happens sort of randomly--idling or driving, right away or not until I've been driving for a few minutes, but it doesn't happen when the gasoline level goes down to say half a tank or less.

I talked to Saturn Service on the phone, but they said it will be hard to diagnose unless they actually witness it--meaning keep my car until it happens. Because the problem is random, that could be forever. I haven't taken it in yet.

Anybody else notice this? What do you think it could be?

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
MrBiz
MrBiz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Gas Smell

I have not experienced any gas smells. I'll surely post if I do.

I've only got a little over 500 miles on my car so far. Seems low since I've had it for a few weeks now. I need to take it out on the highways for a good run as it says I'm only getting just over 14 MPG. But it also says that my averge speed is 23 MPH.... no way! I wonder if that can be reset.

Biz

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD
2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrBiz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrBiz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
N9GUX
N9GUX is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I have over 3,000 miles on mine and have never noticed a gas smell.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to N9GUX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help N9GUX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
N9GUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
jrocco001
jrocco001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman View Post
Question for you guys, whenever my Outlook's gas tank is full or close to full (3/4s or higher) AND I have the heater on, I get a whiff of gasoline flowing into the car through the heat vents. It happens sort of randomly--idling or driving, right away or not until I've been driving for a few minutes, but it doesn't happen when the gasoline level goes down to say half a tank or less.

I talked to Saturn Service on the phone, but they said it will be hard to diagnose unless they actually witness it--meaning keep my car until it happens. Because the problem is random, that could be forever. I haven't taken it in yet.

My dealer actually warned me about this with my Acadia - apparently if you overfill the gas tank (keep pumping after the initial shut-off), the extra gas gets routed to some sort of auxillary canister that is part of the emissions control system. The canister is there to collect the small amounts of unburned gas generated at start-up and burn it off as the engine warms up. According to him, it would be unnoticable unless you overfill the tank, at which point you may notice the odor until it burns off or evaporates the excess amount.

Maybe thats the cause? Seems plausible if you notice it at fuller tank volumes (closer to your last refill)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jrocco001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jrocco001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jrocco001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocco001 View Post
My dealer actually warned me about this with my Acadia - apparently if you overfill the gas tank (keep pumping after the initial shut-off), the extra gas gets routed to some sort of auxillary canister that is part of the emissions control system. The canister is there to collect the small amounts of unburned gas generated at start-up and burn it off as the engine warms up. According to him, it would be unnoticable unless you overfill the tank, at which point you may notice the odor until it burns off or evaporates the excess amount.

Maybe thats the cause? Seems plausible if you notice it at fuller tank volumes (closer to your last refill)
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and see what happens over the next few days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2007, 11:59 PM   #6
Outlook IL
Outlook IL is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

No gas smell so far, and I am a top off person!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Outlook IL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Outlook IL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Outlook IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:51 AM   #7
WopOnTour
Advanced Member
WopOnTour will become famous soon enough

Quote:

There's nothing special or new about the Outlook (or Acadia) fuel vapor recovery system. It's nearly identical to those used by almost all GMs since 1996.If you had left your fuel cap loose, it would have turned on the "TIGHTEN GAS CAP" message on the driver's info center. Over fueling you Outlook is NOT the problem unless you are actually getting spillage. Barring that you SHOULD take you vehicle into the Service Dept. whenever you are noticing ANY raw fuel odors. You could have a fuel leak somewhere, and that should be addressed ASAP (for obvious reasons)

HTH
WOT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WopOnTour's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WopOnTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WopOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
USN78
USN78 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:

Sure enough if you have noticed lately (view threads) my Outlook is having its new vehicle problems......I got a call today from my wife on her way to dropp off the kids saying she was smelling gas. The car was not recently filled, actually sitting at just above a 1/4 tank left, and she did not stop at a gas station for anything. I told her to lower the windows while driving to let it air out and then close them back up and see if it comes back. Guess what?? It did. I immediately called the dealership and they told me to bring it by ASAP. She tried to comfort me and tell me its typical (having problems) with a first year new car. Will be able to take it by this afternoon/evening to have it looked at. Will let you know if they come up with anything. A $40,000 car should not be having the problems I have been having irreguardless of it being a new vehicle or not...Love the car to much to give up on at his point. I'm trying to be patient..........

---
07 Outlook XR AWD Silver Pearl
Black Leather w/ Capt. Chairs
Convenience
Enhanced Convenience
Touring/Trailoring
Advanced Audio w/ XM/DVD
Dual Sunroof's/HIDs
---
03 L300 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to USN78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help USN78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
USN78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
USN78

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:

Sure enough if you have noticed lately (view threads) my Outlook is having its new vehicle problems......I got a call today from my wife on her way to dropp off the kids saying she was smelling gas. The car was not recently filled, actually sitting at just above a 1/4 tank left, and she did not stop at a gas station for anything. I told her to lower the windows while driving to let it air out and then close them back up and see if it comes back. Guess what?? It did. I immediately called the dealership and they told me to bring it by ASAP. She tried to comfort me and tell me its typical (having problems) with a first year new car. Will be able to take it by this afternoon/evening to have it looked at. Will let you know if they come up with anything. A $40,000 car should not be having the problems I have been having irreguardless of it being a new vehicle or not...Love the car to much to give up on at his point. I'm trying to be patient..........

---
Convenience
Enhanced Convenience
Touring/Trailoring
Advanced Audio w/ XM/DVD
Dual Sunroof's/HIDs
---
03 L300 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help USN78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #10
USN78

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR

Just got mine back from the dealer this evening and they could not tell me anything without being able to duplicate the grip at the dealer. They told me if it came back to try and bring it by immediately.

---
Convenience
Enhanced Convenience
Touring/Trailoring
Advanced Audio w/ XM/DVD
Dual Sunroof's/HIDs
---
03 L300 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #11
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USN78 View Post
Just got mine back from the dealer this evening and they could not tell me anything without being able to duplicate the grip at the dealer. They told me if it came back to try and bring it by immediately.

That's what they told me, but that's B.S. The smell dissipates within 10 to 60 seconds. How are you going to bring it in while it's happening? It's impossible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2007, 08:21 AM   #12
USN78

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
That's what they told me, but that's B.S. The smell dissipates within 10 to 60 seconds. How are you going to bring it in while it's happening? It's impossible.
I have the vehicle scheduled to go back in on Monday to get a few other things taken care of. I'm hoping at sometime during the service they might get a whif of gas. It just happened yesterday and my wife noticed it. I plan on taking it out for a ride this weekend to show her off. Hopefully I can expierence it myself. By the way, do you recall if you had auto climate on or defrost???

---
Convenience
Enhanced Convenience
Touring/Trailoring
Advanced Audio w/ XM/DVD
Dual Sunroof's/HIDs
---
03 L300 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #13
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USN78 View Post
I have the vehicle scheduled to go back in on Monday to get a few other things taken care of. I'm hoping at sometime during the service they might get a whif of gas. It just happened yesterday and my wife noticed it. I plan on taking it out for a ride this weekend to show her off. Hopefully I can expierence it myself. By the way, do you recall if you had auto climate on or defrost???
Defrost was not on the last time I smelled it (over a week ago). Just the heater with auto clim. I like having the heat come out high (face) and low (feet) at the same time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2007, 12:00 AM   #14
Outlook IL
Outlook IL is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

I get the "gas smell" when the wife is in the front seat, not sure if it's the same smell, kind of like a rotten egg?? Tap, tap...is this thing on???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Outlook IL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Outlook IL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Outlook IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #15
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlook IL View Post
I get the "gas smell" when the wife is in the front seat, not sure if it's the same smell, kind of like a rotten egg?? Tap, tap...is this thing on???
that's a good description--rotten egg. You're right. I haven't smelled it for over a week, but if memory serves, the last time it wasn't a pure gas fume type smell.

I flew to Orlando last week on a business trip. I was supposed to fly back on Friday but the east coast storm closed all the destination airports, cancelling my flight out of Orlando. All flights on Saturday and Sunday were sold out. So what did I do? I rented a car in Orlando and drove all the way back to Pennsylvania. The car: a 2007 Chevy Impala Lt. And guess what? A few hours into the drive I got the same smell invading the Impala cockpit! I rolled down the window, but like with the Outlook, the fumes dissipated quickly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #16
Gwenzilla
Gwenzilla is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlook IL View Post
.... and like it never smells like that when you're in there by yourself
You're so bad!

Saturn family stable:
- 2007 Outlook - AKA "Lambchop"
- 2003 Vue
- 2006 Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gwenzilla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gwenzilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gwenzilla is offline   Reply With Quote