SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
RangerRover
RangerRover is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
1994 SL2
Default Saying goodbye to Saturn (for now)

I just bought a new car - 1985 300zx. I have sold my 94 Saturn to a guy from work, with a trunk and backseat full of spare parts for it. I was ready for a more powerful car, and this (almost classic) one fell into my lap as a great deal. I tell you what, if you ever get a chance to own one, do it... Unfortunately I am having trouble finding a board as good as this one for it - most of the ones out there like to flame like its going out of style . I'll probably stop in for bit every now and then.. Especially if I ever get the editing done on a few how-to videos I have been working on.

Gone for a while,
RangerRover

\

You can tell Linux is made by geeks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RangerRover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RangerRover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RangerRover is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
Tbonedawg08
Advanced Member
Tbonedawg08 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Saying goodbye to Saturn (for now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRover View Post
I tell you what, if you ever get a chance to own one, do it...
yeah i agree. i ALMOST bought a 1978 280z...it was awesome! i REALLY REALLY wanted it! but it wasn't very practical for a 16 year old...i think it's still for sale if anyone is interested i can give you the number...great looking. fully restored with some performance upgrades...
anyways, it was incredible. good for you

I'm just a normal car-crazy 17 year old...who is an intern at the police station. Trust me. That's saved me more than a few times
2002 SC2- 1.9L I4
2000 LS2- 3.0L V6
1993 1500 Silverado- 5.0L V8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tbonedawg08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tbonedawg08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tbonedawg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
SC1_FTW
SC1_FTW is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

ohhh very nice..

i am actually looking to upgrade for more power. i was looking and the z31's also or possibly a BMW E30. how do u like the 300 however? i forgot to look but is it turbo?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC1_FTW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC1_FTW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC1_FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:05 PM   #4
SonnyD
Advanced Member
SonnyD is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1_FTW View Post
ohhh very nice..

i am actually looking to upgrade for more power. i was looking and the z31's also or possibly a BMW E30. how do u like the 300 however? i forgot to look but is it turbo?
Actually they are 160hp normally aspirated and 200 turbocharged.

It looks pretty nice for an 85 .....I bought a new 240Z in 1972, it was a fun car.

Tiger, I had a 94 Sentra SE-R.......I agree they are fun cars.

Regards Sonny

I LOVE MY SATURN!!!!
99 SC1 "Marvin"
2007 Harley FLHX "Street Glide"
Fender 50's Strat...The Guitar That Put the "Rock" in Rock&Roll

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonnyD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonnyD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SonnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #5
SC1_FTW

1995 SC1
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyD View Post
yeah i remember reading that somewhere. Also the later models i think its 87' and up its jumped to 165 and 205hp. Anyways, i would be interested in the turbocharged one if i did end up getting one. I also heard you can swap a z32 tt engine with the z31 turbo. That would be a faaaaast car!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SC1_FTW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 PM   #6
SC1_FTW

1995 SC1
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:

It looks pretty nice for an 85 .....I bought a new 240Z in 1972, it was a fun car.

Tiger, I had a 94 Sentra SE-R.......I agree they are fun cars.

Regards Sonny

i think you though when i said 300 i was referring to the hp.. i was just referring to the model 300zx. just wanted to clear that up.. just saw it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
SonnyD
Advanced Member
SonnyD is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

SC1 FTW NO,......I'm a DUMBASS!!! .........I misread your post, I thought you said "how do u like 300 horsepower"?........when you actually said "how do u like the 300 however"?
I don't know how I misread 300 however, into 300 horsepower.......I claim OLD AGE...sorry.

Regards Sonny

I LOVE MY SATURN!!!!
99 SC1 "Marvin"
2007 Harley FLHX "Street Glide"
Fender 50's Strat...The Guitar That Put the "Rock" in Rock&Roll

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonnyD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonnyD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SonnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
SC1_FTW

1995 SC1
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
SC1 FTW NO,......I'm a DUMBASS!!! .........I misread your post, I thought you said "how do u like 300 horsepower"?........when you actually said "how do u like the 300 however"?
I don't know how I misread 300 however, into 300 horsepower.......I claim OLD AGE...sorry.

Regards Sonny
oh no its cool man.. i figured.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #9
RangerRover
RangerRover is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
1994 SL2

SC1_FTW - it is possible, just like swapping an Ecotec into the s-series is possible . It would cost more than buying a nice z32 TT from the start. Also if it comes down to a nice z31 or a E30, get the Nissan. I have owned a BMW, and while they are great cars, heaven forbid something breaks. The parts for them are EXPENSIVE. At least most of the parts for the Nissan are on par with what the same parts cost for the Saturn.

Mine is the NA, but I have already purchased all the parts I need to convert it to turbo. the NA engine is a 9:1 compression ratio with all the same components as the turbo engine (8.somthing:1 ratio). I should be putting down about 215 hp to the wheels when I'm done with it - for now . These engines are about bulletproof, they can handle 500hp on the stock bottom end reliably. Built up you can put down close to 1000.

One of the reasons I chose a 300zx is because of the aftermarket support - there are actually companies making parts for them! (lol). Full electronically 20 way adjustable coil over kits run just under $2200. I am going to go with Spring tech shocks and Tokico Illuminas shocks (adjustable to 5 different settings) for under $700. Can't do that with a Saturn. This car also can take turns that pushed my Saturn to the limit with ease, and its all stock.

I will miss the gas mileage, but until I get the Turbo on there I can push 29 mpg by driving like a granny .

You can tell Linux is made by geeks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RangerRover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RangerRover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RangerRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

I want one too. They're fairly expensive around here. Though if I could afford $5k and had to choose between an SC2 and a 300Z I'd get the 300Z. Of course if I could afford $5k I could just get a 3000GT, and I've been wanting AWD...

Hope you have good luck with it, and have fun!

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:55 PM   #11
Tbonedawg08
Advanced Member
Tbonedawg08 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1_FTW View Post
ohhh very nice..

isn't that what the "X" means on 300zx?

I'm just a normal car-crazy 17 year old...who is an intern at the police station. Trust me. That's saved me more than a few times
2002 SC2- 1.9L I4
2000 LS2- 3.0L V6
1993 1500 Silverado- 5.0L V8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tbonedawg08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tbonedawg08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tbonedawg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:12 PM   #12
SC1_FTW

1995 SC1
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonedawg08 View Post
isn't that what the "X" means on 300zx?
negative. I'm not sure why it is a zx instead of just z but yeah.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #13
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Sucks to see you go. But the Nissan is ok, although I'm more of a Mazda RX-7 or older American muscle type person.

But now that you have the Nissan, you should join CarolinaSpeed.....there are a lot of knowledgeable Nissan people in the club. www.carolinaspeed.net click on the forums button. Of course, there's quite a few Honda people there too. I'm the only Saturn person in the club, because they don't have a Saturn club around here like we did in Richmond....actually the Saturn club was only a few people and we were branched off from an American car club in Richmond....although there was a few import people in the club.

My friend's brother, Erik knows pretty much everything about the Nissan ZX's.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #14
SC1_FTW

1995 SC1
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

yeah i will probably just stick with my saturn until i get enough to buy a z32.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #15
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

RangeRover, I understand your appeal for the Nissan. I had a 93 Sentra, which is on the low end of the Nissan performance scale, but was fun to drive and spunky. I agree with the Nissan Forums. I hated to go there at times, since some people were rude at times, and just did not have the How-To/Technical data base you find here. Enjoy the new ride!

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote