SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
slv01sc2
slv01sc2 is on a distinguished road

Default Spring Hill Plant?

Does anyone know what the Spring Hill Plant will be producing once the 07 Ion and Vue are out of production? I know that the Ion will stop being produced in December. How about the Vue? I really want my next car to come from that plant. Thanks for your responses!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slv01sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slv01sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slv01sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Spring Hill Plant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slv01sc2
Does anyone know what the Spring Hill Plant will be producing once the 07 Ion and Vue are out of production? I know that the Ion will stop being produced in December. How about the Vue? I really want my next car to come from that plant. Thanks for your responses!
Out of curiosity, what is it about that plant that makes you WANT a car that's produced there? GM has production facilities all over the place.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:02 AM   #3
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

I understand it's an emotional thing, but it's not a 'saturn' plant anymore, it's a 'GM' plant, and they no longer have the special UAW contract, so there really isn't anything special about it anymore.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

I think the VUE is being produced there through March, or at least that's what I've heard. Then it will be shut down for retooling for an extended period of time.

I'm hoping they'll build the Astra there for the 09 model year. It would make sense - retool everything so it's ready to build metal-sided cars (which will probably take a long time) and import the Astra while that's being done which is what we've been told will happen. After they're finished, build both the Opel and Saturn version of it in the same plant. The timeline fits, at least ... so maybe we will still get Saturns out of Spring Hill.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
slv01sc2
slv01sc2 is on a distinguished road

I quess that the reason I want a car from that plant is that in my 15 years of driving the only kind of car that I've had is a Saturn. I just thought of Spring Hill as producing higher quality cars than other GM plants, but now it is just a regular GM plant so it really doesn't matter anymore. Does anyone know about the people working there and what they'll be doing as the plant is retooled?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slv01sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slv01sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slv01sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
On_The_ION_Line
On_The_ION_Line is on a distinguished road

The rumor is, A new product will be announced in Aug. or Sep. My guess is that it will be a 2009 or 2010 model.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to On_The_ION_Line's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help On_The_ION_Line reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
On_The_ION_Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #7
red96
red96 is on a distinguished road

The new model that will be built at Spring Hill WILL NOT include a Saturn. An anouncement on a new vechical could come as soon a August.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
red96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #8
red96
red96 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slv01sc2
I just thought of Spring Hill as producing higher quality cars than other GM plants, but now it is just a regular GM plant so it really doesn't matter anymore. Does anyone know about the people working there and what they'll be doing as the plant is retooled?
What make YOU think just because it a "regular GM Plant" not one cares. It the same work force with the same processes that have always been building these car and trucks for years.
Please let me know what has changed the quality.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
red96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #9
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by red96
What make YOU think just because it a "regular GM Plant" not one cares. It the same work force with the same processes that have always been building these car and trucks for years.
red96- I'm sure you are correct but you have to remember one thing...."A different kind of car, a different kind of company" may have been one of the most successful marketing campaigns Saturn ever had. Saturn spent a lot of time and effort emphasizing its difference from other manufacturers; including GM, its own parent. The company was indeed successful in convincing many people that Spring Hill was a special place. Given all of that, Saturn owner loyalty to the Spring Hill plant should not surprise anyone regardless of what is happening in the company today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #10
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by red96
Considering a great deal of their first employees came from the big van plant that shut down in Michigan (where, exactly escapes me right now). It was always a "regular GM Plant" , with a "special contract" that the union workers walked all over until it was uncerimoniously dissolved.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote