SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
f3qu3t
f3qu3t is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default What caused my wet trunk

So, I was talking with my service advisor and asked him how difficult it would be to remove the rear quarter panel (to find the source of the leak), "Oh, not hard at all. There's like only three bolts holding it on" he says. Alright, sounds good. I had some time yesterday so I figured I'd work on it. Turns out, there's more like nine! Four of them are nice and hidden. Regardless, it wasn't all that complicated. Just removed the tail_light, bumper, and ground effects(?) under the door. Perfect, removed the quarter panel.... and there it is! Stupid crack. I threw some silicon everywhere to ensure no more leakage. Next time I'll attack the other side. It should be a little easier, not to mention quicker, now that I know (somewhat) what I am doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5280004e.jpg (83.7 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg P5280003e.jpg (69.2 KB, 411 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to f3qu3t's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help f3qu3t reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
f3qu3t is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: What caused my wet trunk

Did you have to remove the quarter panel to find it? I just bought a 97 SC2 where it's obvious that the trunk has been leaking for a long time. The Spare tire well cover and trunk carpet are moldy, and the jack and spare tire are completely rusted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:49 AM   #3
mikewms
mikewms is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

I have the same problem. I figured it was under the rear quarter panel. I was looking at the bolts. It looked like they were torx. Is that true and if so what size are they?

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikewms's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikewms reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikewms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
f3qu3t

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Did you have to remove the quarter panel to find it?
Yes, I did have to remove the quarter panel. It really isn't all that difficult. I could give you step by step if you like. When I get home this afternoon I could see if I have a better picture of the process.

Quote:
I was looking at the bolts. It looked like they were torx. Is that true and if so what size are they?
There is four torx screws (of the nine). Two of them are in the door, surrounded by rubber. The other two are at the tail.light. I am not sure of the exact size, though I can get that for you later today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help f3qu3t reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Mine will be going in this week (or at least very soon) for a leaky trunk fix. It was already mis-diagnosed as a bad trunk seal, which was not covered under warranty. The rear quarter will have to come off. But this time it'll be warranty.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
f3qu3t

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

torx screws sizes T-15 & T-30 (locations shown in green)
socket sizes 10mm & 7mm (locations shown in blue - I can't remember if I used any other sizes)

I am not a professional, and by no means do I know what I am doing!

1. Remove the 2 T-30 torx screws inside of the door. They are surrounded by rubber.

2. Removed the tail.light with the 2 T-15 torx screws. Pull the tail.light straight back, then disconnect the cable.

3. The best part of all. Remove all of the 'black plastic plugs' (not sure of their proper name) from the wheel-well, ground effects(?)(the thing below the door) and the bumper.
--If you don't know how to remove them, just seperate & remove the cap (start with the wheel-well, they are easier), now pull out the plug - some look as if they don't have a cap, they do, it is just flush with the plug--
The wheel-well has 5 plugs & 3 screws (7mm)
The bumper has 4 or 5 on the top as well as 5 or 6 underneath.
With the plugs removed from the ground effects, just simply slide it towards the front, and then pull it towards you.

4. There are 2 screws (10mm) that hold the bumper to the quarter panel. Access them through the wheel well (if you haven't removed the wheel-well guard, now would be a good time). There isn't a lot of room, just enough . The bumper can now be pulled away. Take note of the white thing circled in pink (for re-assembly).

5. Remove the 2 screws where the tail.light would be. Look inside to see how the little latch thing clips into the panel. (shown on the other pic)

6. Don't forget that bolt that's on top (usually covered by the trunk lid), and the 2 bolts that were hiding behind the ground effects.

7. The panel can now be removed. !!!There is a clip (circled in yellow) holding the panel on. I did not know this at the time, and just pulled the panel away---everything was fine. After inspecting the panel, it looks as if, to remove the panel, somehow(?) slide it forward. I did not do this. When I took it off, I pulled. When I put it back on, I pushed - no damage(for me).

Remember: I am not a professional, and by no means do I know what I am doing!

This process was extremely easy.
Try to remember where everything goes when removing pieces. I was left with an extra plastic plug. -One less to remove next time!

Any questions, feel free to ask, email, I'll do what I can to help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panelremoval.jpg (85.2 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg clip.jpg (95.5 KB, 384 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
mikewms
mikewms is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

Well, thanks to your patient posting of instructions I now have a very dry trunk. I found the crack in the silicone in virtually the same place as yours. I siliconed the crap out of it and everywhere else it looked like it might leak in the future. I let it cure for a day and today washed the car. I would usually get water in the trunk during a wash. Today it was as dry as a bone. Tonight will be the real test as we are expecting heavy thunderstorms. Thanks again.

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikewms's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikewms reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikewms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #8
f3qu3t

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

Hey, that's great to hear!
It had rained here most of this last week, I tell ya, what a relief it was to find a dry trunk. It feels good knowing, after it rains or a wash, there is no longer a need to dry out the trunk.

I'm glad I could help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!