SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 06:47 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Attention Server Outage

I just wanted to apologize to everyone for the site being down for most of yesterday (Saturday). I am apparently way above my disk space quota, and my web host moved my files from one server to another. However, when they did that, they forgot to redirect the domain to the new server. Everything should be back in working order now. If you notice anything that doesn't seem to work just quite right, please let me know. Thanks!

I'm sorry for the inconvenience yesterday.

Charlie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2002, 07:29 PM   #2
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

How "big" is SaturnFans now? Maybe 50-100 megs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2002, 07:35 PM   #3
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Dizzy You would be surprised...

Right now the site is using 620 Mb on the server. However, I have a compressed backup of this forum and an uncompressed copy of the old UltraBoard forum currently online. Once I delete them, I should have it down to around 400-500 Mb. Over the next few days, I will be combing through the whole site to make sure there aren't any other huge hidden or duplicate files.

Charlie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2002, 11:08 PM   #4
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

That's a lot... what takes up so much? Are there really that many messages taking up that much space?

Do you have a dedicated server or do you just buy disk space and transfer bytes? I'd hate to know what the Saturnfans.com monthly transfer rate is!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2002, 12:10 PM   #5
Mustang46L
Mustang46L is on a distinguished road

since saturnfans is so big, wouldn't it be cheaper to just get an old pentium 2 400mhz with like a 5 gb hd and just run a unix cgi server to save everything.. then you just have to pay for the domain and the computer does the rest..

just a thought..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mustang46L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mustang46L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2002, 01:08 PM   #6
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

.. then you would have to colo the box, which is not cheap. Its easier/cheaper to vhost somewhere.

Im sure all of the "attachments" uploaded to the message board account for one significant portion. It isnt hard for disk space to add up...

How many hits/day or visits/day does saturnfans average?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2002, 11:09 PM   #7
Charlie
Administrator

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
wouldn't it be cheaper to just get an old pentium 2 400mhz with like a 5 gb hd and just run a unix cgi server to save everything.
I've thought about getting my own server, but there are too many other things I would have to worry about if I did that. At this point, its still better for me to outsource hosting. Thanks to the generous support of our sponsors (keep clicking on the banners at the top of the page), I have the flexibility to grow the site.

Quote:
Im sure all of the "attachments" uploaded to the message board account for one significant portion. It isnt hard for disk space to add up...
Your right about disk space adding up. Surprisingly, the attachments really don't account for too much of the space because of all the limitations I put on the size of uploaded files. You might have noticed a few months ago that you had to start clicking on attachments in order to view them. This was not only done to speed up the time its takes to download a thread, but it also helped to reduce the load on my server.

Quote:
How many hits/day or visits/day does saturnfans average?
I'm very very happy with the number of folks who visit the site... stats have skyrocketed since last summer. Currently the site is getting nearly 3,000 unique visitors every day. Those visitors view about 3/4 million Saturnalia pages each month.

I owe everyone here a BIG thanks for all your support.

Thank You!!
Charlie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-11-2002, 11:11 PM   #8
Mustang46L
Mustang46L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie
I'm very very happy with the number of folks who visit the site... stats have skyrocketed since last summer. Currently the site is getting nearly 3,000 unique visitors every day. Those visitors view about 3/4 million Saturnalia pages each month.

I bet if some other sites that knew how much traffic you are bringing in you could get more sponsors..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mustang46L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mustang46L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread