SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 06:38 PM   #1
Girafro
Girafro is on a distinguished road

Attention Urgent

Ok guys this is really urgent. i went and add wire to my intake sensor so that it would reach my intake. I finished that up and started the car, it stalled on the first try and on the second it worked fine. Just like it happened when i put the intake on. I cleaned up my tools and let it run for a few. well i told my mom i would go to the store for her and i jumped in my car. well right when i got in i accidently landed on the lanyard i have my keys on. i tugged on it pretty hard and the car turned off. i pulled the key out and put it back in. tried to start and nothing happened. i was like crap. i turned the light on the inside on and it came on really slowly. put nothing else came on. i took the battery out and ran to autozone and they said the battery was fine. i came back put it in and tried to push start the car. it didnt work but my lights came on and they clicked. is there anyway yall can answer this? i have a 96 sl2
Thanks
†Girafro†

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Girafro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Girafro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
BlackBirdRacing
Advanced Member
BlackBirdRacing is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Re: Urgent

clean and tighten your battery cables.

other than that you might have damaged the ignition switch somehow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlackBirdRacing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlackBirdRacing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:50 PM   #3
Girafro

I was afriad of that where could i get a replacement for it and how hard would it be to fix?
†Girafro†

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Girafro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
BlackBirdRacing
Advanced Member
BlackBirdRacing is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

When you turn the key to "on" does the cluster light up with all the lights?
ses ABS oil you know...???

If so then you are getting power to the ignition circuit...

Any parts store should have the ignition switch.

But I would probably go factory saturn.

as far as a how to...

Good luck, I really haven't done it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlackBirdRacing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlackBirdRacing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2004, 06:07 PM   #5
emptypockets
emptypockets is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
Wrench Re: Urgent

Quote:
...and let it run for a few
Quote:
well right when i got in i accidently landed on the lanyard i have my keys on. i tugged on it pretty hard and the car turned off. i pulled the key out and put it back in.
What is a lanyard? And if the car was running, how were the keys "on" it. Why were you tugging on this lanyard? As soon as I find out what a lanyard is, I might be able to think about why the car would turn off from tugging on it. You pulled the key out of the ignition and put it back in?

Quote:
i turned the light on the inside on and it came on really slowly. put nothing else came on.
I'm assuming you mean the dome light? What is "nothing else"? What did you try?(radio, highbeams, low beams, hazard lights, cigarette lighter, etc.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emptypockets's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emptypockets reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2004, 12:17 AM   #6
Girafro

A lanyard is the necklace thing that can clip to keys and badges and the such. I usually have my keys on one and i let it hang out of my pocket so i can get to them really quickly. I had it started and running for a little while so the keys were in the ignition cylinder and i jumped in my car and landed right on the "necklace". Pulling the key out. It was the dome light and i did try everything else. my instrument cluster does come on but it is very dim. Dim enough you can only notice it being on at night. I found out later that night.
†Girafro†

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-05-2004, 12:27 AM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like you have damaged the ignition switch. Not the part the key goes into, but the actual electrical switch underneath and linked to it. It will need to be replaced at this point as repair in not practical or possible for that matter. You "may" be able to resurect it temporarily by rapidly turning it from off to run while jiggling the key up and down. If you are LUCKY, this will temporily realign the broken parts and allow you to start the car. BUT, keep in mind this is NOT A REPAIR and the car is VERY LIKELY TO NOT START the next time or in the VERY NEAR FUTURE.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2004, 01:37 AM   #8
Girafro

Yeah i figured it was the switch. i went and picked one up at autozone but am stuck on a screw that goes to it. the positioning of the screw is right next to the steering shaft. so i have little or no room to get that screw out. so i am laying off of it for tonight and i will get up in the mourning and have another go at it. Thanks for the help wolfman.
†Girafro†

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2004, 12:43 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girafro
the positioning of the screw is right next to the steering shaft. so i have little or no room to get that screw out.
Just off the top of my head, try putting the key in and turning it to "unlock" or "on", and see if that makes the screw more accessible. For obvious security reasons, ignition switches and locks are usually designed so that they can be removed only with the key turned. 'Course, you should have the battery disconnected as you do this; don't want to short anything out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread