SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 11:28 AM   #1
TBone1082
Advanced Member
TBone1082 will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default New 2006-2007 Saturn release info (Any info I could gather from other sites)

As its extremely slow here due to the rain, Ive decided to consolidate all the info on the new '06 and '07 models that I can find.

This came from Wards Auto World, http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...40/ai_n6062862

Saturn will add three new vehicles over the next three years. A sports car (codename GMX023) inspired by the Curve concept will join the Solstice at Wilmington; a CUV (codename GMX966), bigger than the Vue and based on GM's forthcoming Lambda platform, likely will be built at the plant under construction in Delta Township, MI. A midsize car (codename GMX384), based on GM's Epsilon platform, is in the cards. It probably will be built at GM's Orion, MI, plant.

We all know about the Sky as of now, which will most likely be built with the new 2.4 Ecotec, with the rumor of a V6 option, which was being tossed around over at GMInsidenews.

The Vue's "Big Brother", also known as the Outlook will feature a proposed V8 from what I hear and will be based on the Lambda Platform. The CUV is also rumored to be 4WD.

Dealing with the new '07 Sport Wagon, Motor Trend is forcasting it to come standard with a V-6 and will be based on the re-tooled "Epsilon 2" platform.

http://motortrend.com/future/spied/1...vf/index8.html

Sorry if any of this seems a bit confusing, I got the information from a bunch of different websites and putting it together was kinda confusing. Best bet is to check www.gminsidenews.com 's press room and look in on the Saturn info there. I have to admit, theres a lot of haters there, but the info is top notch and they know what theyre talking about.

STC-NY

Sales Consultant @ Saturn of Medford

Number 4 in line for a 2007 Sky Redline!
Black w/Black leather, Tan Inserts
LSD, Single CD Monsoon System, and Spoiler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TBone1082's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TBone1082 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2004, 12:38 PM   #2
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: New 2006-2007 Saturn release info (Any info I could gather from other sites)

Thanks for doing all that work, but according to the poll that ran on this website earlier, most of us current Saturn owners could care less about the new product as they really aren't Saturns any longer.

"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2004, 01:06 PM   #3
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: New 2006-2007 Saturn release info (Any info I could gather from other sites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork
...most of us current Saturn owners could care less about the new product as they really aren't Saturns any longer.
Depends on what YOU define Saturn to be. Some may not like it, but Saturn is changing. It's still Saturn, just not what we are used to.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2004, 01:22 PM   #4
TBone1082
Advanced Member

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

And contrary to what spork says, this info is not just for current Saturn owners, but for anyone in particular who has an intrest. Speaking of which, even if just one person finds the info helpfull, it has served its purpose.

STC-NY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TBone1082 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2004, 03:42 PM   #5
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I guess I didn't phrase it very well. Yes, it is good info. I was just making a comment that a majority of current owners that responded to the poll said they would not consider another Saturn if it had a metal body.

I just spent the majority of my time the day after thanksgiving driving around with my brother in law looking at used Saturns. The major reason he wanted one was because his mother has a 96 that is rust free and his current car is rusting away. We managed to find a 98 SL2 with 78k on it for $3700. He was quite happy with that and bought it that day.

I know the only reason I even considered Saturn when I was looking at my first (and last) new car was the plastic body.

Anyhow, don't take it personally. I'm glad you are excited about the new cars. Lord knows that with WalMart sourcing over 70% of their merchandise from China, buying American is good for us as a society.

"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2004, 04:47 PM   #6
mcphian
mcphian is on a distinguished road

I think if saturn was smart.. they would offer a Warranty like Hyundai or Kia.. 100k powertrain. This change over without Plastic bodys maybe too late in the game now. Once again, only reason why I bought a saturn was for its plastic body and decent sedan look.. otherwise its very Un-refined mechanically compared to Korean and Japan models (yes even the ION feels clunky). Maybe if the refinement is better in new models and all these known quirks are gone.. then it might be in better standing for the competition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mcphian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mcphian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2004, 04:34 PM   #7
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork
. I'm glad you are excited about the new cars. Lord knows that with WalMart sourcing over 70% of their merchandise from China, buying American is good for us as a society.
It is perhaps worse than that sounds. WalMart is China's 4th or 5th largest trading partner. The value of "stuff" WalMart buys from China exceeds most countries including Canada, England, France etc.

Is it a good product at a good price? Perhaps, perhaps not. Yesterday I heard that Honda finally solved the CRV fire problem. Honda claims that the seal of the oil filter from the filters they buy in CHINA rips and leaves behind pieces of rubber hindering a good seal with the flange. Puff -- fire happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haypops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haypops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2004, 09:54 PM   #8
mars_volta
Advanced Member
mars_volta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
Depends on what YOU define Saturn to be. Some may not like it, but Saturn is changing. It's still Saturn, just not what we are used to.
No its not Saturn the different car company.

Its Saturn the marketing image.

2005 Legacy GT LTD
94 SL2
95 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mars_volta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mars_volta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2004, 01:47 PM   #9
TBone1082
Advanced Member

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Apparently, the Relay will also be getting a re-fresh in '07 or '08 to "bring in more Saturn parts" This is the only thing have heard of this and don't have any evidence to support it, but this brings up another thing. At the moment, yes, polymer IS and HAS been Saturn, but times are changing, with the larger vehicles, the cost to produce the polymer panels is growing. The only plant that is currently setup to do so I believe is Spring Hill. Now, I myself would rather see something of a compromise like we see in the L Series currently. I propose the Ion and the Vue still retain their polymer panels, but the larger vehicles like the Relay and the new Outlook (V8 CUV) go with steel. On the other hand, I believe that the Sky could possibly (and I mean possibly) benefit from polymer only in the fact that it would lighten the vehicle and posibly increase overall performance.

Another point that Saturn has in its avor is the Steel Space frame. So long as our vehicles are made like this and so long as they continue to get 5 Star safety ratings, I will still continue to buy Saturn.

STC-NY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2004, 02:23 PM   #10
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Good info, thanks for doing some legwork for us. I have also found the GM Inside News site to be a great source of info, but there are a lot of Saturn-haters around there (surprise).

The fact that future Saturn models will not have polymer is, to me, a detriment to the brand, but GM management apparently doesn't see it that way. I think the SKY would be better served to have the polymer panels for the reasons mentioned above - lighter, dent-free, rust-proof, more "Saturn-like", etc., but the SKY will be built right along the Solstice in the Wilmington, DE plant. So far as I know, only Spring Hill is equiped to make polymer panels. The way I see it is if they can wrap the Vue in it's beautiful polymer, then anything smaller (like most cars, especially the SKY) should be a cakewalk. However, they refuse to produce any new cars with polymer, and it's a fact of life, whether we like it or not. I can say for sure that not having polymer will not help Saturn in my decision on what I buy next.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread