SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 12:25 PM   #1
sideout303
sideout303 is on a distinguished road

Question New Engine and radiator.. Temp gauge input needed!!!!

I'll TRY to keep this as short as possible, but would like some input/info.. PLEASE!

Car:

1995 Saturn SL2
REMANUFACTURED Engine installed by Saturn Dealer
NEW Radiator
121,000 miles on odometer

Old Situation

Had bad oil fouling on 2nd and 3rd plug and small oil leaks around the head.

Had the radiator flushed/filled and new thermostat put in as was experienced HIGH temp gauge readings. Turned out radiator was cracked (small leaks as well and low coolant light was coming on). Had the radiator replaced.

8 months later was filling up the coolant reservoir roughly every 1 1/2 weeks (low coolant light). Didn't see leaks until short time after having the shop look at it. Turns out my engine was getting WAY too hot and causing pressue buildup in radiator.

Decided to have engine replaced and have radiator swapped out under warranty afterwards.

Current Situation

Saturn replaced the engine with a REMANUFACTURED one from their dealership. The next day i had a NEW radiator put in as the one from 8 months ago was leaking/cracked again due to the old engine heating up/building up pressure..

My questions/concerns:

With having the Radiator replaced/Engine replaced/New thermostat, my car STILL hit's 3/4 way mark on the Coolant Temp Gauge, but the fan kicks on.

Took it back to the dealer to check the Coolant Temperature Sensor. They hooked it up to the diagnostics machine. No codes came back reading abnormal and from what i remember, he said it's working as designed where the fan kicks on at 226 degrees (from what i remember)

Is this normal?????

Driving on the interstate the needle sits at the 1/2 way mark, BUT coming to a stop at a light or in traffic it'll slowly go to the 3/4 way mark and the fan will kick on. Coasting down a hill (no acceleration from my foot being on the pedal), the gauge will drop between 1/4 and 1/2 before i step on the gas again.

Is there something else i need to look at/get replaced or is this REALLY normal for this model year Saturn????

I just can't remember when i bought it used the temp gauge going to the 3/4 way mark until the engine starting having problems. I figured having the engine AND radiator replaced the car would sit around 1/4 way mark if at worse case 1/2....

Thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sideout303's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sideout303 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2003, 01:35 PM   #2
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

This is normal for your model year. It's irritating and unnerving which is why this B.B.S. has a section about overriding the fan to get it to turn on more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2003, 01:40 PM   #3
sideout303
sideout303 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by eljefino
This is normal for your model year. It's irritating and unnerving which is why this B.B.S. has a section about overriding the fan to get it to turn on more.
Yes, this is VERY unnerving as i don't wanna blow another radiator or have other problems..

I thought about having the ECTS (Engine coolant temp sensor) replaced.. I just don't know why i'd STILL be experiencing the temp gauge issue AFTER have the engine and radiator replaced.

Not remembering this being an issue when i first bought the car is also odd. Seeing as the engine was going on it, yeah, i could see it being an issue, but after replacing the whole engine and radiator.. weird!

thanks for the info though... makes me "somewhat" at ease! hehehe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sideout303's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sideout303 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2003, 08:50 PM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

3/4 gauge reading for the fan "ON" in a 95' model year is NORMAL. It should shut back down at just below the 1/2 mark. If you don't like the factory settings, see the "How To" section for EASY instructions on how to install an manual switch for less than $5 that'll give you full control while maintaining the factory automatic control as well.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2003, 09:09 PM   #5
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Default Re: New Engine and radiator.. Temp gauge input needed!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by sideout303
Is this normal?????

Driving on the interstate the needle sits at the 1/2 way mark, BUT coming to a stop at a light or in traffic it'll slowly go to the 3/4 way mark and the fan will kick on. Coasting down a hill (no acceleration from my foot being on the pedal), the gauge will drop between 1/4 and 1/2 before i step on the gas again.

What's how my car is.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2003, 11:41 PM   #6
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Perfectly normal? Yes. Annoying? Oh yes!

'00 SL2m- DD, 186K miles
'05 Honda CR-V- wife's DD and my upright bass hauler
'84 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk- toy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twin_Cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twin_Cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread