SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2018, 05:31 AM   #1
trainer
trainer is on a distinguished road

Default Transmission after fluid change

95sc2 after fluid and filter change had shift into reverse that would instead go forwards a couple feet and then slam into reverse and back up ok, Then shifting to D went forward fine, but shifting to R again went forward a little then slam to R. did this repeatedly car was not running hot just in parking lot, fluid level was OK, next day after parking overnight all gears shift fine.What just happened?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trainer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trainer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: Transmission after fluid change

You just experienced the Saturn auto trans "Reverse Slam".

Wolfman, wrote a write up a few years ago. Here is his procedure to fix the reverse slam. The procedure in the thread below doesn't post the pictures, but it does have the full write up. It may or may not work for you, but if you have tools, or friends with tools- it may be worth a try.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=113766

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

Last edited by 2NDSOUT; 03-07-2018 at 07:11 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
Catch-TwentyTwo
Catch-TwentyTwo is a jewel in the roughCatch-TwentyTwo is a jewel in the roughCatch-TwentyTwo is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

Try the "Lucas" for transmissions, it works and with my Saturn the "reverse slam" is considerably less when using it....

A trick I found with my Saturn is when it doesn't want to go into reverse, put your left foot on the brake and hold it, shift to neutral and tap the gas to SLIGHTLY rev the engine, while it is revving up shift into reverse, on mine it shifts as normal doing this rather the loud slam...

We had also had BAD trans fluid when the problems started we did a full trans fluid change, waited a week changed it again, then a month later. It got all that crap out.... It was that bad, so be sure to keep up on the trans fluid changes it has helped a lot!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Catch-TwentyTwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Catch-TwentyTwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Catch-TwentyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

If Wolfman's "fix" doesn't solve your problem, plan on replacing your valve body real soon.

That problem WILL get worse, due to internal wear and boring of the boost pressure valve.

If left to get really bad, the input shaft nut gets loosened, and that nut is no longer available from GM. It is also a torque-to-yield nut, which means it is not recommended to be reused, when you take it off the shaft.(Obviously it has to be reused now and even that is quite a process...)

The internal wear is caused by not changing the transmission fluid at the regularly-scheduled interval of 30-months/30,000-miles(whichever occurs first).

Lucas does work, and may provide a temporary "life extension" of your current valve body.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

I gotta ask... was the new fluid Dex3 or Dex6? Dex6 doesn't seem to work well with this type trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
trainer
trainer is on a distinguished road

well It was reverse slam that first day as I mentioned afterthe fluid change which was to mobil1 fluid,BUT as I said ever since that one day my transmission shifts perfectly and better in all gears than ever before so I am not having any problem,just bafffled why it slammed that first day immediately after fluid change.Is it possible new fluid did not get distributed thoroughly for a few shifts and maybe air was trapped inside valve body for a while?Or could new filter have taken out some sort of particles that were causing slam and now these particles are trapped in filter and no longer causing trouble?I was surprised that after first day several slams transmission has run perfectly.I am reluctant to change valve body on a car that has no shifting problems, if starts up again will have to consider that if wolfman's trick fails.But for now shifts like new, just cannot understand what happened.Is it strange to get slams first day after changing fluid and filter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trainer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trainer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trainer is offline   Reply With Quote