SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
Tim011696
Tim011696 is on a distinguished road

Default A/C Question

I have two questions. I live in Florida and have a 2003 Saturn L200. During hot and sunny days when my car has been sitting in the sun for a few hours, my A/C doesn't turn on AT ALL. However, when it is cool outside, my A/C works perfectly. What would cause this?

Also, when it is night time, my headlights automatically switch from normal headlights to high beams. I can't seem to find a way to disable the automatic change besides manually changing the knob on the switch every time I drive at night. However, I'd prefer not to manually have to change my lights every time due to fear that I may leave them on by accident and ruin my battery. I find it kind of annoying because I almost never use high beams (I live in a city and I don't want to blind drivers).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tim011696's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tim011696 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tim011696 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: A/C Question

1-Manual or auto climate control?

2-Does the high beam switch operate correctly when manually selecting low or high beams?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:27 PM   #3
nancy gilbert
nancy gilbert has a spectacular aura aboutnancy gilbert has a spectacular aura aboutnancy gilbert has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2009 AURA XE

Just a thought on the A/C issue (assuming it is manual control) -- there is a possibility that someone has overcharged the unit. With high temperature sitting in the sun, it may exceed the hi-pressure cutoff switch. Unless you know what you're doing with pressure gages, I'd recommend having a reliable A/C shoppe take a look at it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nancy gilbert's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nancy gilbert reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nancy gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:31 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

While overfilling is possible with higher than normal operating pressures, turning on ac shouldn't have any high pressures triggering the pressure switch to signal the pcm to disable compressor operation.

The A/C refrigerant pressure sensor protects the A/C system from operating when an excessively high or low pressure condition exists. The PCM/ECM disables the compressor clutch under the following conditions:

*A/C high side pressure is more than 2900-2997 kPa (420-435 psi). The clutch will be enabled after the A/C high side pressure decreases to less than 1998 kPa (290 psi).
*A/C low side pressure is less than 180 kPa (26 psi). The clutch will be enabled after the A/C low side pressure increases to more than 248 kPa (36 psi).

Even in HOT and HUMID weather in southern parts of the USA, I doubt overfilling would raise static pressures (car sitting in hot/humid sun) over 420 psi. To raise static pressures high enough to prevent ac from running at engine startup would require at least as much as another can of refrigerant above the amount specified. One member observed his system static pressure around 150 psi in 100F temps with a normal amount of refrigerant. If someone were to overfill a system with more refrigerant than required, this would have to be while the engine's running with ac on. Whether excessive refrigerant triggers the pressure switch to disable the compressor while performing topping off or afterwards while driving doesn't matter - the higher engine rpm means higher compressor rpm, translating to higher operating pressures where the high side exceeds 420-435 psi where the pressure sensor signals the pcm to disable compressor operation otherwise the higher operating pressures may rupture anywhere in the system with a loud explosion. Several steps are needed to approach this hazardous level of danger and would have to be deliberately done from ignoring procedures and safety. Fortunately, the majority of ac problems never approach this level of ignorance to deliberately add more than the required amount of refrigerant. There will be exceptions though and hopefully either the pressure sensor disables compressor operation to prevent higher pressures or the mechanical relief valve on compressors trigger and blow off around 525 psi.

This pressures below (service manual) are at high outside temps/high humidity and normal refrigerant amounts in a service bay;
38C (100F).....low side 179-193 kPa (26-28 psi)....high side 1702-2412 kPa (247-350 psi), engine high idling@2k rpm.

Last edited by fdryer; 10-03-2017 at 12:38 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim011696 View Post
I have two questions. I live in Florida and have a 2003 Saturn L200. During hot and sunny days when my car has been sitting in the sun for a few hours, my A/C doesn't turn on AT ALL. However, when it is cool outside, my A/C works perfectly. What would cause this?

Also, when it is night time, my headlights automatically switch from normal headlights to high beams. I can't seem to find a way to disable the automatic change besides manually changing the knob on the switch every time I drive at night. However, I'd prefer not to manually have to change my lights every time due to fear that I may leave them on by accident and ruin my battery. I find it kind of annoying because I almost never use high beams (I live in a city and I don't want to blind drivers).
You need to give a answer to this question before anyone can proceed further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
1-Manual or auto climate control?

2-Does the high beam switch operate correctly when manually selecting low or high beams?
Also to your A/C working when cold seems to indicate a leak in the A/C and should be take to a A/C shop to find the leak. Also from the read of the high beam switch sounds like your hi-low beam switch on the left side of the steering wheel is not working and have you check this switch?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim011696 View Post
...when it is night time, my headlights automatically switch from normal headlights to high beams. I can't seem to find a way to disable the automatic change besides manually changing the knob on the switch every time I drive at night...
Welcome to SaturnFans, Tim011696! FWIW, it seems to me that the likely source of your problem here is within the headlight/turn signal combination switch. All of the wires for lighting lead back to this switch and cannot be turned on by any other source.

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
jbaron76
jbaron76 has a spectacular aura aboutjbaron76 has a spectacular aura aboutjbaron76 has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Welcome to SaturnFans, Tim011696! FWIW, it seems to me that the likely source of your problem here is within the headlight/turn signal combination switch. All of the wires for lighting lead back to this switch and cannot be turned on by any other source.
pierrot is right, this switch assembly is likely the problem. I will go one step further to say that the headlight/turn switch stalk is commonly a problem on these cars. I too had this problem with my high beams staying on after smoke began to seep out of the steering column. The high/low beam switch built into the switch assembly is a poor design and eventually shorts out with repeated use. It is an easy part to replace. It is currently about $45 on Amazon (see below for link).

With all of that said, there are other possibilities such as a bad relay or wiring problem that could cause this, but more often than not it is the switch.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D1557...00+turn+signal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jbaron76's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jbaron76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jbaron76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
Sky Pilot
Sky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaron76 View Post
pierrot is right, this switch assembly is likely the problem. I will go one step further to say that the headlight/turn switch stalk is commonly a problem on these cars. I too had this problem with my high beams staying on after smoke began to seep out of the steering column. The high/low beam switch built into the switch assembly is a poor design and eventually shorts out with repeated use. It is an easy part to replace. It is currently about $45 on Amazon (see below for link).

With all of that said, there are other possibilities such as a bad relay or wiring problem that could cause this, but more often than not it is the switch.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D1557...00+turn+signal
Is this switch difficult to install? I ask because mine works, but just seems to sit there flopping up and down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Replacing the headlight/turn signal switch is not difficult at all.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Check the links below for replacement information.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?p=1192694

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188247

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/new...te=1&p=2259337

If you'd like to have detailed repair manual information then I can send it to you. Send me a p/m with an email address.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!