SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
steverenio
steverenio is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Saturn Aura XE 3.5l Engine seized

I have a 2007 Aura Xe 3.5l that I bought in Nov. 2015. I seemed like a very smooth car. Had to replace the rack and power steering lines but that was OK.
Then I started throwing ECM codes like 0641, 1682, 0452, 0107, and throttle pedal or body codes . I was always able to clear them out with my code reader or by removing the negative battery cable. Sometimes it would keep throwing the codes then stop and it would run fine for a month or 2. I finally changed the throttle body and the car ran fine for 2 months. Then it threw the same recurring codes and was very hard to restart. I drove it straight to the dealer and they cleared the codes and updated the ECM. The next night I was driving it and it was running fine. I pulled into a parking lot the engine light came on and the car shut off. I checked the codes and they were the same codes as before. I tried to clear them but was unable to. I tried to restart the car and there was a noise coming from the engine compartment. I poped the hood and there was a burning smell. I ended up having the car towed back to the dealer. where after checking it they said the engine was seized. They couldn't tell me why, but I was very suspicious and called Saturn consumer affairs. They talked to the dealer and basically told me there was nothing they could do.
Right now the car sits in my driveway and when you try to start it all you here is the starter running. When I was trying to start it in the parking lot after it made a noise all I heard was a faint click.
Does anyone know if the failed ECM could cause this seized condition (I've ordered a pre-flashed ECM from Flashmasters on that possibility) or what other possibilities could there be. I never got an overheat light or low oil (I checked the oil and it's full and clean)all that happened was the engine light came on.
I am planning on taking the car to an ex-GM mechanic who works out of his garage and he can tear down the engine and hopefully figure out what happened. I hoping it didn't do any internal damage.
The 2007 is is a LZ4 engine, isn't it, which was use in other GM cars up to 2010. If I need a crankshaft where is a good place, other than the dealer to buy one. I'm having a hard time finding one.
I appreciate all comments and suggestions in advance.

Thank you,

Steve

Last edited by steverenio; 09-24-2017 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: missspelling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steverenio's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steverenio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steverenio is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2017, 02:28 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Saturn Aura XE 3.5l Engine seized

Welcome to SaturnFans, steverenio! I'm sorry that an engine failure is what lead you here...oh well

In order to assist you with where to find internal engine parts it would be good to know where you're located. For example, if you were in the Southern CA region I'd have some useful suggestions. You can add that information into your profile by going into the User CP and adding details. Your location could then appear underneath your log-in name.

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
steverenio

2007 AURA XE

I just put in my info. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help steverenio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Technically, a seized engine means a catastrophic mechanical failure where physical damage occurs and the engine locks up. The starter will not turn the engine over and may grunt because the engine seizure prevents the engine from turning over easily. A bent intake or exhaust valve, timing chain damage, broken connecting rod, ignoring oil level checks and running the engine very low on engine oil, etc., can lead to engine damage. if you have above average skills and can manually turn the engine by hand using a long handled wrench, socket, whatever, to see if the engine is truly locked, you can determine if the engine is seized or not. The crankshaft pulley is where you manually turn the engine. A shop can determine this too. On the other hand, the ECM cannot prevent an engine from turning over, by hand or starter if the engine isn't seized. ECM failure usually means the engine will turn over with the starter but fails to run/fire up.

ECM failure and engine seizure are two separate issues. Careful diagnosing can determine which one occurred.

P0641 suggests 5v failure of the ECM, rendering sensors unable to operate with 5v as of the ECM failed. A damaged sensor shorting out 5v or chafed wires can cause a 5v short.

P0107 suggests a map sensor fault, not having 5v.

P0452 suggests a fuel pressure sensor fault. It uses 5v.

P1682 suggests voltage differences in two circuits.

The error codes came from googling for Saturn Aura. Mileage of this car? This may help determine if the starter is worn out, presuming its original.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I was in a bit of a hurry when I put up my previous post.

The presence of powertrain diagnostic trouble codes (P---- series DTCs) have generally no relation to an engine's seizing up. The most common reasons for this occurance are due to,
1) overheating, or
2) inadequate engine lubrication (insufficinet amount of engine oil).
Some parts may become warped, or they may become fused together. fdryer rightly points out that this is a catastrophic engine failure.

Many years ago a vehicle was towed into my father's service station in Pasadena. Its engine had been severly overheated. My father's lead mechanic diagnosed it very quickly and confirmed that the engine had seized. It's not difficult to for a mechanic to reach this conclusion. Look it up on line for yourself.

See the articles linked below. If indeed this engine has seized then the likely options ahead of you are,
1) rebuilding/replacing the engine, or
2) replacing the car completely.

To the best of your knowledge, what is this car's maintenance history - namely, but not limited to, oil changes?

https://www.bishopsautoparts.com/con...s-engine-seize

https://www.quora.com/What-happens-w...ne-gets-seized

http://www.aa1car.com/library/us697.htm

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
steverenio

2007 AURA XE

I bought a timing chain kit but it didn't come with the chain guides. I called the Dealer and was given the wrong part #'s 9for a 3.6 instead of a 3.5) I called another dealer and they told me the 3.5 doesn't use chain guides. Is that true?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!