SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2017, 11:10 PM   #1
Red5
Red5 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Throughts on Wrapped Header and TB?

Has anyone wrapped the header on their Astra? I haven't seen anyone mention it but that may just mean I missed the post. I checked in with an automotive engineer buddy and confirmed that the steel, welds, cat matrix, and 02 sensors should take the additional heat without any trouble (where an iron header would crumble). The Euro-snorkel and K&N drop-in have helped on the intake side. On the exhaust side I plan to wrap the whole affair from the header to the mid-pipe muffler. Considering port & polish on the TB but unsure it'd work as it's an electronic throttle and I've no idea how removal and reattachment would affect the sensors governing it. The VW folks bypassed the TB coolant lines thinking they introduced heat; I never did that but then the VR6 made surplus power as it was. Any opinions on TB coolant bypass?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrap.jpg (16.7 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Red5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Red5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Red5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2017, 01:40 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Throughts on Wrapped Header and TB?

Unless you're racing and making power at consistent medium to high rpm where retaining exhaust heat is useful for exhaust scavenging, you're probably wasting time and money. If you are racing this car, perhaps ceramic coating is a better idea. Here are the pros and cons from some sites that are impartial and don't have an ax to grind, selling a product. The last link is informational on how to wrap. At best, exhaust wrap will help contain radiant heat from under the hood but again only in racing conditions of extended medium to high rpm.

Aside from its intended use, I used exhaust wrap to repair a damaged flex pipe welded to a perfectly good catcon on my car instead of replacing the flex pipe/catcon section. Since the flex pipe corrugated portion (hidden by the stainless braid) is cracked and leaking exhaust, I used enough wrap to go on twice to seal and hold the flex pipe semi rigidly. This was a few months ago and has sealed off exhaust noise leaking from here, allows a certain amount of flexing and save me from replacing the section. A pair of stainless clamps holds the wrapped ends in place.

https://www.centuryperformance.com/e...o-not-use.html

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...orsepower-best

A car forum; https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...-question.html

How to wrap; https://exhaustsystemsguide.com/exhaust-wrap/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
Red5

2008 Astra XR

Thank you for the links; they make it seem like wrapping is a bad idea. I don't race (only chase my car's shadow) but can't shake the idea that a bit more engine output would make a big difference in the driving experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Red5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Red5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2017, 10:37 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The 'butt' dyno is more frame of mind/placebo effect compared to paying for dyno time to see actual results. I wasn't aware of moisture condensing on wraps accelerates corrosion so its a dark secret to all but the racing community. Lucky for me, I just wrapped the stainless flex braid to contain exhaust noise for some years before having to deal with replacing the catcon/flex section.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #5
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

When the time comes to replace my catalytic, the Eastern Catalytic 50511 from Rockauto.com, or a good header from Ebay.com will be just fine for me. My Astra with 110K miles in the pocket just pass the state emissions test without any issues. I took it to the DMV in my way coming back from work.

A wrapped header may not be suitable for my daily commuting. In a summer heavy traffic jam above 90 degrees F, an engine runs extremely hot, stop and go, idle with the A/C on for long time. A wrapped header right next to my head cylinder may give me some serious nightmares. Nobody wants to catch fire and make the news for the day. Probably an insulated exhaust-pipe wrap may help an engine to breathe better…

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velocast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
Red5

2008 Astra XR

So I went with fiberglass wrap (50 feet for $14.99 delivered from amazon.com) from aft of the cat to the mid-pipe muffler. It got everywhere and I was itching for days. Afterwards I got a tip from a local who said it should have been damp going on; in case you have never heard that either I advertise the idea here. If I had it to do again I'd get the "volcanic rock" wrap as it may shed less. Also, threading 50' of wrap around the pipe every time took about an hour and 15 minutes. I should have cut it into thirds.

It does seem to quiet the nagging resonance some more; there's zero discernable difference in power but maybe it's making the whole thing a fraction more efficient on my weekly 4 hour highway trips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exhaust Wrap.JPG (107.4 KB, 9 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Red5's Reputation