SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
gen3thirdowner
gen3thirdowner is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Possibly bad cat or cps

Hey guys! I recently noticed my engine revving up randomly in second and third gear about 500 rpm and I'm also throwing a code that is potentially the cat hopefully it just needs to be cleaned but I was wonderful if the cps would cause all of these running issues? I am getting semi hard shifts after changing all fluids and the engine may be vibrating enough to move my passenger mirror at a stop. Just really unsure how I can get everything in optimal condition...

Here's where I add too much this is the entire service record of the car since the secind owner since I not really sure if anything else besides the cps is needed. I'm certain the ects was replaced based on how it acts.

Control arms and ball joints, tires,inner and outer tie rods,alternator,water pump,frint wheel bearings,valve cover gasket, power steering pump,brake pads and rotors,battery,ac compressor condenser expansion valve and dryer,tensioner I del pull and seriptide belt, fan motor,starter,radiator,hoses,thermostat,rear brakes and hardware

Based on all the info I have I just need to patch my exhaust leak and replace my sway bar since my front pops bad on bumps and high speed stops and it'd not the struts quite yet...of course currently I see a problem with the cps that could make something good go or maybe I'm being paranoid lol.

Thanks for the read I love you guys for being here and igniting my passion for the saturn brand

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gen3thirdowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gen3thirdowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gen3thirdowner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2017, 08:44 AM   #2
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1
Default Re: Possibly bad cat or cps

CPS is normally good or bad and it won't affect how your car runs, just if it runs or not. Sort of like a light bulb most of the time.

Rough idle could be tune up, plug wires, motor mount, or possibly low compression. Remember if you put plugs in it to use the correct copper plugs.

Hard shifts could also be motor mounts or torque struts (called dog bones) or could be that you used the wrong transmission fluid.

Best bet on your code is to post the actual code number.

Highmile
'95 SL1 621k and counting

Highmile
95 sl1 496k (rebuilt engine)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:58 PM   #3
gen3thirdowner

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmile View Post
CPS is normally good or bad and it won't affect how your car runs, just if it runs or not. Sort of like a light bulb most of the time.

Rough idle could be tune up, plug wires, motor mount, or possibly low compression. Remember if you put plugs in it to use the correct copper plugs.

Hard shifts could also be motor mounts or torque struts (called dog bones) or could be that you used the wrong transmission fluid.

Highmile
I just did a full tune up its not really a rough idle like I said in 2 and 3 gear at shift it revs up about 500 rpm after a pcm swap for the sc pcm. I used dex 3 as my atf. I need to do a compression test since during the tune up I didn't get misfire codes . Last I checked though all mounts are known good

Sorry I lost the code but is a cat code for sure meanin g its blocked or faulty could be a p0420 code but I have an exhaust leak that's been getting bigger for 6 months. I guess I'm more concerned about the cat because I don't need have the proper thermostat yet to check it (portable imager) but the random revs at something I won't understand for sure until like I get my cheap obd sensor scan tool to see if maybe to fuel ratio drops before the rev or whatever . Thanks for the response highmile

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gen3thirdowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
gen3thirdowner

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmile View Post

Highmile
It's the dreaded p0410 code I thought I was getting a cat code but I went back to the original pcm that fixed my shifting and now I drove one cycle and a more not getting the code....I'll just have to keep harassing the auto part store guys

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you can afford it, buy a cheap or better reader. Basic readers display 'P' type error codes, all related to emissions that are federally mandated. There are several states superceding federal EPA standards, allowing vehicle owners to ignore the check engine light, making owners responsible if engine/xmission problems occur. Vehicles in states requiring emissions inspections will fail with the cel on so it's better to decode the error(s) and determine what needs to be done to correct it. In your case, P0410 is about the secondary air injection system that pumps fresh air into the exhaust system at engine startup to help warm-up the catcon. Search for posts about it and troubleshooting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote